WiFi tether for JellyBean is here.... Confirmed.....

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Was told this is working with JellyBean. Of course you will need to be rooted. I chose Galaxy S3 and this post was made from my work computer tethered to my JellyBean powered GS3. Give it a try and let me know if you like it.

WiFi Tether Updated link to newest version version on 12/01/2012

Last edited:

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I have been told you must turn off encryption.
I know of at least a dozen other gs3 JB owners besides myself that have connected and shared an internet connection with this.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
WiFi tether works but like previous versions, encryption doesn't work. Disable it and try again.

And thank you Skunk, for sharing :):)

<< Sent from my SG3 using Tapatalk >>

FreddyFredFred

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I am posting this while tethered on CM10 using this app.
You must change SSID. (I'm pretty sure, it worked for me)
The default name is something like AndroidTether.
But, it is written in red when you look at the setting. Which to me, means it is invalid.
I changed it and it worked for me. I am connected with encryption too.
Thanks for the app!

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Oh something else... if you have control access enabled, you will need to accept the connection on the phone in order to allow the device you are trying to connect, to utilize the connection.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I just got pm from someone who was having issues. He was trying to test Wi-Fi tethering while his phone was connected to Wi-Fi.

Just a heads up in case someone else tries this. You can't tether while on Wi-Fi. You must turn off Wi-Fi. You can only tether a 3g or 4g lte signal.

merrix

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
So if i used this method (below) to update am I fully rooted and ready to use tether?

Here is your first upgrade to Official JellyBean Method.
jb_prerooted_L710.exe

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
So if i used this method (below) to update am I fully rooted and ready to use tether?

Here is your first upgrade to Official JellyBean Method.
jb_prerooted_L710.exe

Yes, that will install a rooted version of jelly bean. It doesn't install custom recovery but if you just want to Wi-Fi tether, custom recovery is not required.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I just got pm from someone who was having issues. He was trying to test Wi-Fi tethering while his phone was connected to Wi-Fi.

Just a heads up in case someone else tries this. You can't tether while on Wi-Fi. You must turn off Wi-Fi. You can only tether a 3g or 4g lte signal.

The app automatically disconnected WiFi for me.... I had started mine with WiFi on, too.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
The app automatically disconnected WiFi for me.... I had started mine with WiFi on, too.

Yes it will automatically turn off wifi. but if you had only wifi on, it won't turn your 3g or 4g on for you. So you end up with a connection from the phone to computer (or other device) but not the internet.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes it will automatically turn off wifi. but if you had only wifi on, it won't turn your 3g or 4g on for you. So you end up with a connection from the phone to computer (or other device) but not the internet.

Ahh yes, good point! I don't ever turn my mobile connection off so I wouldn't have even thought of that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmitrbol