Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

ROM
    CleanROM 4.5

Default Re: WiFi tether for JellyBean is here.... Confirmed.....

Thanks Skunkape60. Works on my VZW SGS3 running Scott's CleanROM 4.5. I was considering a flash back to ICS so I could keep my Nexus 7 tethered.
    Droid X
    Galaxy S3
    Nexus 7
    pocketweezer likes this.

Thanks Skunkape. Works good for me. Nice to have a compatible version for jelly bean. Now if you just get LBE Privacy Guard compatible with jelly bean. Lol.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Nope...upgraded to stock jb on rooted sprint sg3...tethering does not work. Anyone have a solution?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #54  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by bones.billy View Post
    Nope...upgraded to stock jb on rooted sprint sg3...tethering does not work. Anyone have a solution?
    Download super su ,
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif

Wait does this mean that the nexus 4 doesn't have the built in ability to become a Wi-Fi hotspot?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

No it does not have it out of the box... You need to do a few things..

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

so i got wifi tether treveE mod an it shuts dwn like every 20min what am i todo about this situation

Global Posts
    798 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alprix View Post
    so i got wifi tether treveE mod an it shuts dwn like every 20min what am i todo about this situation
    There's a setting to keep WiFi tether on... it must new shutting down?

<< Sent from my SG3 using Tapatalk >>

ok what is the exact setting to keep it on from shutting dwn cause i dont know

Thanks for the tip to download SuperSU, worked perfectly on my stock, rooted, JB Sprint GS3.

so is there anyone else here thats having shut down problems besides me? an i have superSU
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #62  
    Retired Ambassador

Have you change the setting.

Quote Originally Posted by alprix View Post
    so is there anyone else here thats having shut down problems besides me? an i have superSU
    go to the 11/18 version

Quote Originally Posted by eyecon82 View Post
    go to the 11/18 version
    the 11/18 version of what

I just wanted to say thank you for everyone's clues. Added up, it worked.

For anyone having issues, here's my full report on what worked for me:
    Samsung Galaxy S3 T-Mobile 4.1.1 ota update as of 11/15/2012
    Bricked device 11/20/2012 attempting root via the toolkit after multiple failures using Odin.
    Recovered device using full image (755MB) that I got from samsung-updates.com via Odin.

Successfully rooted using Odin with the Sprint labeled .tar.md5
    Installed Busybox and SuperUser

Tried 9 wifi tether apps with no success including the same but UNMODIFIED version of the one in the Original Post.

Installed the OP apk and was prompted about 15 times to allow root access.

Successfully connected wifi tether once but could not duplicate.

Read thread and installed SuperSU (I should have done this before any of this anyway)

Reinstalled the modified-wifi-tether apk from the OP

Successfully tethered now. I call this "perm-tether", as I can duplicate it now.

Settings are:
    Switch device to Samsung Galaxy s3
    That's it.

SuperSU really worked the magic here. I'm not sure if the timing was off before using single su's but superSU approves all the requests and it links right up every time now.

I also have an additional piece to add relative to our phones. I was able to get flash working with a work-around. Fortunately you won't have to do that. I have extracted the working flash apk and verified it on 3 sgs3s and 1 note2. The flash apk i have, will get your flash working again. I will upload it as soon as I can if anyone needs it.

Details of the workaround I used for flash:
    After trying literally 9-10 different apks for flash that claimed they'd fix/restore my flash, I gave up.
    I decided to go through my old downloads via Play and see if there's any games/apps I didn't realize I miss.
    I saw Flash in there from when I had my g2 and I downloaded it via Play. I clicked Update and sure enough, it took.

I immediately got apkextractor so I wouldn't lose the ability to update it (if Google pulls the update files from Play, which i would expect)
    After extracting the apk, I sent it out to 8 people. 4 responded that it worked for them. 4 didn't respond at all so I assume it worked for them also.

If you're missing flash but had previously downloaded it, go into your Play downloads under "ALL" and scroll down and update it, enjoy flash again.

Again, if anyone needs that apk let me know and I will get it uploaded.

Thanks again for everyone's input, I hope my over-view helps someone.

PS: I think it's absolute SHIT that any carrier charges for tethering as a service. It's a 'native' feature of the phone's capabilities, not the phone carrier or service. Furthermore, carriers (most) limit the amount of high speed data we are allowed anyway and that should be reason enough for them to allow us to waste it in whatever way we want. Whether that be tethering our entire home to it or downloading apps and loading ads. I don't consider most sgs3 owners the typical "cheap" crowd, and that argument doesn't go far with me. Those of us into modding our phones at our own risk should be granted the "rewards" that come from the risks we take. If we root to tether, let us tether. The carriers are never going to be affected by it because they limit us anyway. Just my opinion on the matter anyway.

Cliffs: get SuperSU before installing this modified version of wifi-tether to increase your chances of success.
    Thanked by 3:
    Pebb1e likes this.

ROM
    CM09/2.6.35.7

Thank you Skunkape60, it worked just fine. Finally!

First off...many thanks to Skunkape60...the info and effort is very much appreciated. I just picked up my S3 from Sprint today and upgraded it to 4.1.1 before rooting. The awesome write up by Skunkape60 made it an easy 20 minute task. I am running the stock rom and am pretty content with that...for now. I am not too sure about wiping the phone to get the deodexed version. Am I out of luck with using encryption, the OP's apk, and an odexed stock rom? Any ETA for a more flushed version for odexed stock rom?

Slick instructions regarding the replacement of superuser with supersu. I renamed superuser.apk to <name>.bak and moved it to the root of my external sdcard...for safekeeping, using Root Explorer. Easy peasy.

Once again...thanks to Skunkape60 and everyone else involved here helping a relative newb get going. I was sad to leave the OG EVO behind...but this should be fun!
    Thanked by:
    mrhankey184 likes this.

Found this thread as I just got my Samsung GS3 on Black Friday and it came installed with Jelly Bean. I've got wifi tether working with the modified APK. I was wondering, do they merge that type of APK back into the original at any point or will we just stick with this modified version?
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #69  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by RickArnett View Post
    Found this thread as I just got my Samsung GS3 on Black Friday and it came installed with Jelly Bean. I've got wifi tether working with the modified APK. I was wondering, do they merge that type of APK back into the original at any point or will we just stick with this modified version?
    This is a hacked version. Meaning it was modified by someone not associated with the original or official developers. I don't think this particular fix will be merged with the official version. But I haven't a doubt that the dev team for Wifi tether will eventually fix it.

Upon suggestion from the hacks/rom subforum here, the wifi tether v3_3-Pre1 seems to work great for my rooted, stock ROM. Encryption is present and accounted for...and I connect without issue.
    Thanked by:

Thank you for this post! I also have Tmobile, just rooted and used the apk in this to get my wifi working - browsed on my Kindle Fire. Made my freaking day! It was nice to have someone report that they have same service provider and phone who got it to work before I went through the fret of it. Nothing like worrying about bricking the new toy.

Thanks all. I too got stuck the in the repeating "DENY / ACCESS" prompt from SuperUser on my rooted stock Android 4.1.1.

Once I installed Super SU from the Play Store, all is fine. Tested and can now tether my CyanogenMod HP Touchpad to my new GS3!

Update: It only works with encryption disabled though. If enabled, my Touchpad keeps going: "Connecting... Saved... Connecting... Saved... Connecting... Saved... ". It never actually connects.

No matter. I enabled Access Control and that adds some security. Prevents everyone in the office from easily connecting.
    Last edited by TigerDave; 11-30-2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: My typiing is horrible todday. See?
    Samsung Galaxy S3 rooted with stock ROM
    Asus/Google Nexus 7 FHD (2nd Gen.) 32GB

Which version are you using?

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #74  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by TigerDave View Post
    Thanks all. I too got stuck the in the repeating "DENY / ACCESS" prompt from SuperUser on my rooted stock Android 4.1.1.

Once I installed Super SU from the Play Store, all is fine. Tested and can now tether my CyanogenMod HP Touchpad to my new GS3!

Update: It only works with encryption disabled though. If enabled, my Touchpad keeps going: "Connecting... Saved... Connecting... Saved... Connecting... Saved... ". It never actually connects.

No matter. I enabled Access Control and that adds some security. Prevents everyone in the office from easily connecting.
    If you go to the thread I linked as a support thread, there is An updated version that fixes the encryption issue.
    Thanked by:
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #75  
    Retired Ambassador

Download link in OP Updated to newest version on 12/01/2012.
    Thanked by:
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast