Wi-Fi Power Save Mode

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If you want to disable it again just follow the instructions below.

Edit: Forgot to mention this is a reminder in case your wi-fi gets "stuck" (you see you are connected to your network yet are getting no data)

1. Go to your phone dialer
2. Dial *#0011#
3. When you see the "ServiceMode" screen, press the left menu button
4. Select "WiFi"
5. See that "Wifi Power Save Mode" button that is "ON" - well turn it "OFF"
6. Exit this menu, turn off your Wifi and turn it back on. If you already entered all your wifi credentials, forget your network info (remove it) and re-enter it again.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Ditto. I just turned it off because... I could. Why did I do that? Advantages are_______?

S3 on Sprint - 16gb pebble blue + 64

It's only for your WiFi having issues. There have been some instances people show as connected to WiFi but they are not able to access the Internet. You do this and you should be able to access again.

It may have been fixed in JB. Not sure though :)

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

johngr

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Hello,
I was wondering how does Galaxy S3 Power Save Mode work?
When it tries to turn off the wifi? Is it the IEEE 802.11 PSM mode?

Thank you

makissig

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
If you want to disable it again just follow the instructions below.

Edit: Forgot to mention this is a reminder in case your wi-fi gets "stuck" (you see you are connected to your network yet are getting no data)

1. Go to your phone dialer
2. Dial *#0011#
3. When you see the "ServiceMode" screen, press the left menu button
4. Select "WiFi"
5. See that "Wifi Power Save Mode" button that is "ON" - well turn it "OFF"
6. Exit this menu, turn off your Wifi and turn it back on. If you already entered all your wifi credentials, forget your network info (remove it) and re-enter it again.

Don't do that, unless you have to do it for some reason (that is unless your WiFi gets stuck). If you turn off the WiFi Power Save Mode, your battery will drain like crazy. I tried that after upgrading from jelly Bean 4.1.1 to Jelly Bean 4.1.2 and I ended up with a battery that was draining 3-4 times faster than usual.

Last edited:

delly86

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Not really i did that it seem use less power.
Don't do that, unless you have to do it for some reason (that is unless your WiFi gets stuck). If you turn off the WiFi Power Save Mode, your battery will drain like crazy. I tried that after upgrading from jelly Bean 4.1.1 to Jelly Bean 4.1.2 and I ended up with a battery that was draining 3-4 times faster than usual.

mjamesf

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
If you turn on wifi power save mode your wifi internet connection speed will be very slow. Like in my case I have a 15 mbps internet plan but using the speedtest.net app on my phone the speed is only 1.5mbps. But after turning off the wifi power save mode I get a 15mbps connection.
My question is, is there a way to permanently turn off the wifi powersave mode? It's really annoying I always need to do the *#0011# sequence everyday!
I think it automatically turns on when you get a low battery or if you restart your phone.

-----------------------------
360 Virtual Tourist - 360? Virtual Tours, Panoramic Photography, Timelapse Videos

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
That's odd. I just ran four tests, two with PSM off, then two with PSM on, and got essentially identical results using Speedtest. Did you run your tests with a low battery? Maybe the powersave mode kicks in when the battery reaches a certain level.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any way to change the setting permanently.

Wheels5986

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Also, I'm new to the rooting and roms. I say on another post that I need a touchwiz based rom. Which is the best rom to use? I have bricked one of my pervious phones. I have the galaxy 3 plus I'm trying to turn off the power save mode wifi but nothing happens when I put *#0011#. Thanks need help!

seanskiT1

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Also, I'm new to the rooting and roms. I say on another post that I need a touchwiz based rom. Which is the best rom to use? I have bricked one of my pervious phones. I have the galaxy 3 plus I'm trying to turn off the power save mode wifi but nothing happens when I put *#0011#. Thanks need help!

There are tons of good ROMS that you can choose from. Wicked Sensations, MOAR, Goodness Reborn, Hyperdrive just name few. The ones I named are TW based. There are also some good AOSP ones that are out there. You don't have to use TW based ROM. JUST MAKE SURE YOU CHOOSE A ROM FOR SPRINT GS3.

sent from my GS3 running Wicked

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
These codes are often carrier specific. As for rooting, I'm not at all familiar with Metro. I don't know if a pure Sprint ROM will work correctly or not. Make sure you do a nandroid backup first, so you can restore ir there are any glitches.

LindsayLou

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I tried this when attempting to resolve my wifi issue and i'm now seeing a major battery drain - even though i've since turned powersave back off. Is it possible to improve my battery performance again? Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
There are many battery threads here. If you search for them, you'll notice three screen captures that we generally ask people to post as a starting point. Without some idea of what's actually using your battery, we can't really provide any advice.

I'd also suggest starting a new thread specific to your problem, or posting in one of the existing battery life threads, rather than in one about a different topic.

skorpio1313

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Time to chime in... Having the same problem. Was connected and had internet access last night on phone and now, nothing. I'm connected, but internet access is at zero. Tried going into service mode using code *#0011# and I get nothing. I'm running CM 10.1.2...lemme know if you need any more info for a better diagnosis

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Hey there sister. ;) Do you have a Sprint phone? That code is probably Sprint specific. It's also possible that CM is keeping it from working, I guess, but I've never used CM so can't do more than guess about that.

Do you have other devices that can connect to the same WiFi access point? Do they work properly. If not, try resetting the router / access point. Actually, you might try this even if other devices can connect. It doesn't seem to make sense, but I've read posts here where that was true and a reset fixed it.

If that doesn't do it, try deleting that WiFi entry from the phone and recreate it.