Device Status: Modified??

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Press and hold power, volume down and home simultaneously. When you see the warning press volume up.

Near the top is:
custom binary download: yes and counts show how many times it's been flashed in odin.

Current binary: (custom) it is not running a stock rom

System status: (custom) not stock.

To get out of download mode remove the battery.

counts.jpg

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I was under the impression that this means it's rooted. Mine always said normal but now says that due to the root.

I'd listen to Skunk though.. He knows his stuff :thumbup::cool:

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it has most likely been rooted at one time. Example: You are rooted and have a custom rom. You decide to flash stock recovery and then delete superuser. Are you rooted? No you aren't but you still have a custom rom and it will show it. You can also be rooted on stock recovery or even be the other way un rooted and still have custom recovery. This history sticks but he may or may not be currently rooted.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. I also just realized superuser is installed on here as well.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Cool let's see what all you have...

Go to system setting / about device / build number.

Let's see if you have a custom shutdown menu. Hold the power button choose restart. Does it go to a secondary menu with something like
Reboot
Hot boot
download
Recovery

Now let's see if you have custom recovery...
If your reboot menu has recovery click on it and see let us know if you see.

Team win recovey project. (Twrp)
Clockwork mod (CWM)

Rcrdude64

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Actually just followed your Unroot guide and now I'm just finishing and starting to accept the system updates and waiting for the JB update to get pushed since I'm back to 4.0.4. Gotta say though I really love that guide. I've been easily frightened by all things root and hack and was really freaked out when it got stuck on the Samsung screen and thank god I read further and did the factory reset or I would be killing people and hiding in the corner clutching my shiny broken toy. THANK YOU

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Actually just followed your Unroot guide and now I'm just finishing and starting to accept the system updates and waiting for the JB update to get pushed since I'm back to 4.0.4. Gotta say though I really love that guide. I've been easily frightened by all things root and hack and was really freaked out when it got stuck on the Samsung screen and thank god I read further and did the factory reset or I would be killing people and hiding in the corner clutching my shiny broken toy. THANK YOU

May I ask, why did you not just stay where you were at? You were already up to date on a stock rooted rom. Now you will have to root again to fix all the things that are broken with the stock rom. ;)

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Peace of mind for sprint store trips basically. They've tried enough times to screw me over

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Dude... First off, Isn't it a used phone? There is no warranty on it anyway. But that's besides the point, Sprint has changed their policy on rooted phones. Being rooted doesn't void your warranty. If you break your phone by rooting it (oh I bricked my phone because I screwed up) that is where they will not replace it for free. However they will attempt to fix it. However in my experience most sprint techs can't do much more than flash your original image back and perform factory resets.

Nick Mayfield

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
so I did this also and mine says it's Samsung official and no custom binary but at the bottom of the list it said custom. so when 4.2 comes out will I be able to update to it.

under my device status it says modified. It's my understanding this can't be changed. is that correct

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
My understanding was that if you followed the unroot procedure completely it would no longer say modified. But I've never tried it, so I'll let Skunk chime in when he gets a chance.

There is a mod posted on XDA that resets this value from Modified to Normal. Unfortunately, you'll need to be rooted with custom recovery to apply the mod. So if it's really important, you could re-root, apply Triangle Away and this mod, and unroot again.

[MOD] Device status = "Normal" - xda-developers

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
so I did this also and mine says it's Samsung official and no custom binary but at the bottom of the list it said custom. so when 4.2 comes out will I be able to update to it.

under my device status it says modified. It's my understanding this can't be changed. is that correct

You have to run triangle away before unrooting to reset the binary counter. Or there is a method on xda that unrooting and resets everything with a Odin file I believe. Don't go into recovery mode after using triangle away or it will trip the counter again. And if you are only worried about updating when the new premium suite update comes out, you should be able to update fine if you have stock recovery. The new update is going to be 4.1.2, 4.2.2 is a ways off for our phone still.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
You have to run triangle away before unrooting to reset the binary counter. Or there is a method on xda that unrooting and resets everything with a Odin file I believe. Don't go into recovery mode after using triangle away or it will trip the counter again. And if you are only worried about updating when the new premium suite update comes out, you should be able to update fine if you have stock recovery. The new update is going to be 4.1.2, 4.2.2 is a ways off for our phone still.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Triangle away only gets rid of the custom binary counts in download mode. To get rid of the modified in the about phone section you must do the mod (while rooted of course) then run triangle away during the unroot process.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure I can recommend the mod below. I ran it, out of curiosity as much as anything, and after flashing it I discovered it changed more than just he Modified indicator. The About device page said I was on some ROM that I never downloaded (People's ROM, maybe? I didn't pay that much attention), a lot of icons changed throughout the Settings menu, and, worst of all, my phone wouldn't connect to my computer as an MTP device. I ended up having to do a factory reset and restore from a Nandroid backup.

My understanding was that if you followed the unroot procedure completely it would no longer say modified. But I've never tried it, so I'll let Skunk chime in when he gets a chance.

There is a mod posted on XDA that resets this value from Modified to Normal. Unfortunately, you'll need to be rooted with custom recovery to apply the mod. So if it's really important, you could re-root, apply Triangle Away and this mod, and unroot again.

[MOD] Device status = "Normal" - xda-developers

Ramer84015

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure I can recommend the mod below. I ran it, out of curiosity as much as anything, and after flashing it I discovered it changed more than just he Modified indicator. The About device page said I was on some ROM that I never downloaded (People's ROM, maybe? I didn't pay that much attention), a lot of icons changed throughout the Settings menu, and, worst of all, my phone wouldn't connect to my computer as an MTP device. I ended up having to do a factory reset and restore from a Nandroid backup.

I think that's because the developer of The People's Rom was the one to make this mod a flashable .zip. He incorporated it into the latest version of his ROM.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie