Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Device Status: Modified??

Just got this phone. Craigslist. Has this been rooted??

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Retired Ambassador

Default Re: Device Status: Modified??

Press and hold power, volume down and home simultaneously. When you see the warning press volume up.

Near the top is:
    custom binary download: yes and counts show how many times it's been flashed in odin.

Current binary: (custom) it is not running a stock rom

System status: (custom) not stock.

To get out of download mode remove the battery.

Last edited by Skunkape60; 11-16-2012 at 08:26 PM.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Ntchwaidumela and Almeuit like this.

I was under the impression that this means it's rooted. Mine always said normal but now says that due to the root.

I'd listen to Skunk though.. He knows his stuff :thumbup:

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
    Retired Ambassador

Yes, it has most likely been rooted at one time. Example: You are rooted and have a custom rom. You decide to flash stock recovery and then delete superuser. Are you rooted? No you aren't but you still have a custom rom and it will show it. You can also be rooted on stock recovery or even be the other way un rooted and still have custom recovery. This history sticks but he may or may not be currently rooted.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Interesting. I also just realized superuser is installed on here as well.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Rcrdude64 View Post
    Interesting. I also just realized superuser is installed on here as well.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Cool let's see what all you have...

Go to system setting / about device / build number.

Let's see if you have a custom shutdown menu. Hold the power button choose restart. Does it go to a secondary menu with something like
    Reboot
    Hot boot
    download
    Recovery

Now let's see if you have custom recovery...
    If your reboot menu has recovery click on it and see let us know if you see.

Team win recovey project. (Twrp)
    Clockwork mod (CWM)
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Just restarted. Nothing out of the ordinary. No other menus

Sent from my Galaxy S3
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Device Status: Modified??-uploadfromtaptalk1353139088008.jpg  
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Actually just followed your Unroot guide and now I'm just finishing and starting to accept the system updates and waiting for the JB update to get pushed since I'm back to 4.0.4. Gotta say though I really love that guide. I've been easily frightened by all things root and hack and was really freaked out when it got stuck on the Samsung screen and thank god I read further and did the factory reset or I would be killing people and hiding in the corner clutching my shiny broken toy. THANK YOU
    Retired Ambassador

Actually just followed your Unroot guide and now I'm just finishing and starting to accept the system updates and waiting for the JB update to get pushed since I'm back to 4.0.4. Gotta say though I really love that guide. I've been easily frightened by all things root and hack and was really freaked out when it got stuck on the Samsung screen and thank god I read further and did the factory reset or I would be killing people and hiding in the corner clutching my shiny broken toy. THANK YOU
    May I ask, why did you not just stay where you were at? You were already up to date on a stock rooted rom. Now you will have to root again to fix all the things that are broken with the stock rom.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Peace of mind for sprint store trips basically. They've tried enough times to screw me over

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Retired Ambassador

Peace of mind for sprint store trips basically. They've tried enough times to screw me over

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Dude... First off, Isn't it a used phone? There is no warranty on it anyway. But that's besides the point, Sprint has changed their policy on rooted phones. Being rooted doesn't void your warranty. If you break your phone by rooting it (oh I bricked my phone because I screwed up) that is where they will not replace it for free. However they will attempt to fix it. However in my experience most sprint techs can't do much more than flash your original image back and perform factory resets.
    Thanked by:
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Hmmm I was unaware they changed their policy on that.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

so I did this also and mine says it's Samsung official and no custom binary but at the bottom of the list it said custom. so when 4.2 comes out will I be able to update to it.

under my device status it says modified. It's my understanding this can't be changed. is that correct

My understanding was that if you followed the unroot procedure completely it would no longer say modified. But I've never tried it, so I'll let Skunk chime in when he gets a chance.

There is a mod posted on XDA that resets this value from Modified to Normal. Unfortunately, you'll need to be rooted with custom recovery to apply the mod. So if it's really important, you could re-root, apply Triangle Away and this mod, and unroot again.

PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mayfield View Post
    so I did this also and mine says it's Samsung official and no custom binary but at the bottom of the list it said custom. so when 4.2 comes out will I be able to update to it.

under my device status it says modified. It's my understanding this can't be changed. is that correct
    You have to run triangle away before unrooting to reset the binary counter. Or there is a method on xda that unrooting and resets everything with a Odin file I believe. Don't go into recovery mode after using triangle away or it will trip the counter again. And if you are only worried about updating when the new premium suite update comes out, you should be able to update fine if you have stock recovery. The new update is going to be 4.1.2, 4.2.2 is a ways off for our phone still.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by GiantJay View Post
    You have to run triangle away before unrooting to reset the binary counter. Or there is a method on xda that unrooting and resets everything with a Odin file I believe. Don't go into recovery mode after using triangle away or it will trip the counter again. And if you are only worried about updating when the new premium suite update comes out, you should be able to update fine if you have stock recovery. The new update is going to be 4.1.2, 4.2.2 is a ways off for our phone still.

Triangle away only gets rid of the custom binary counts in download mode. To get rid of the modified in the about phone section you must do the mod (while rooted of course) then run triangle away during the unroot process.

I'm not sure I can recommend the mod below. I ran it, out of curiosity as much as anything, and after flashing it I discovered it changed more than just he Modified indicator. The About device page said I was on some ROM that I never downloaded (People's ROM, maybe? I didn't pay that much attention), a lot of icons changed throughout the Settings menu, and, worst of all, my phone wouldn't connect to my computer as an MTP device. I ended up having to do a factory reset and restore from a Nandroid backup.

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    My understanding was that if you followed the unroot procedure completely it would no longer say modified. But I've never tried it, so I'll let Skunk chime in when he gets a chance.

There is a mod posted on XDA that resets this value from Modified to Normal. Unfortunately, you'll need to be rooted with custom recovery to apply the mod. So if it's really important, you could re-root, apply Triangle Away and this mod, and unroot again.

PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

I'm not sure I can recommend the mod below. I ran it, out of curiosity as much as anything, and after flashing it I discovered it changed more than just he Modified indicator. The About device page said I was on some ROM that I never downloaded (People's ROM, maybe? I didn't pay that much attention), a lot of icons changed throughout the Settings menu, and, worst of all, my phone wouldn't connect to my computer as an MTP device. I ended up having to do a factory reset and restore from a Nandroid backup.
    I think that's because the developer of The People's Rom was the one to make this mod a flashable .zip. He incorporated it into the latest version of his ROM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramer84015#AC View Post
    I think that's because the developer of The People's Rom was the one to make this mod a flashable .zip. He incorporated it into the latest version of his ROM.
    It's implemented into rompnits MOAR ROM also.

If u are still having this problem then I might have a solution for u. I had this same problem on my Samsung Galaxy S4 and I tried several solutions. I rooted my phone, I had the binary status as custom. Even in the device settings "About device > Status" it said "custom". While my phone is still rooted, I installed Triangle Away and did the flash counter reset, then I installed Rom Manager by CWM. I chose the reboot into recover mode and did a full factory data reset and then full cache wipe. After this my phone rebooted. Of course reinsert every setting as first boot of your phone. I checked my status again in the "About device > Status" and now it says "Device status: Official" and I can go back to getting updates by Samsung.

Just to tell you I am running on JB 4.2.2

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

Hi,

I bought a T-mobile Galaxy S3 LTE (SGH-T999L) from a Seller from Craigslist. He did tell me he installed a Custom ROM and right before selling it to me, he reinstalled the Stock Firmware.

What I hadn't realized until after I bought the Phone was apparently the Device Status under About Phone is now "Modified" instead of "Normal" or "Official". Now I can't receive OTA updates anymore (and I guess, not even via Kies).

I downloaded the Root Checker app from Play Store, and what the App says can be seen in the attached images:

I believe the Device is not rooted.

But when I went into the Download Mode, the Custom Binary Download says Yes (1 count), and both Current Binary and System Status shows Custom.

I am just a regular android user and have no experience in rooting whatsoever, and it seems that I may need to do something like this to get this fixed.

Can someone please guide me as to what I should do in order to restore everything to the Stock Firmware and put everything into "Official" or "Normal".

I tried looking for the answers but I ended up getting confused. I know I may need to do Triangle Away, then flash Stock Firmware again, then do Recovery, etc. But at this point, based on my phone's circumstances, where I should start? Since according to the App, it is not rooted anymore, but as far as I know, in order to use Triangle Away, the Phone must be rooted? Or, given my phone's current state, is there a way or shortcut to getting all this fixed (maybe I can skip a few steps)?

I really really appreciate the kindness and help from all Android Central members!

It appears the previous owner didn't know enough to reset the flash counter before he unrooted.

BEFORE DOING ANYTHING, UNDERSTAND YOU'RE IN THE SPRINT SUBFORUM, and you absolutely should not follow the instructions in this forum or you'll risk bricking your phone.

You should probably post this question again in the T-Mobile forum, but as a general guideline I think you have two choices. One, leave the phone as it is. You won't be able to get OTA's, but when a new ROM update is available it will probably be extracted and made available in a file that you can manually apply. Two, root the phone, run Triangle Away, and unroot. But make sure you follow the instructions from the T-Mobile forum, and not the Sprint one:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-m...ng-roms-hacks/

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

It appears the previous owner didn't know enough to reset the flash counter before he unrooted.

BEFORE DOING ANYTHING, UNDERSTAND YOU'RE IN THE SPRINT SUBFORUM, and you absolutely should not follow the instructions in this forum or you'll risk bricking your phone.

You should probably post this question again in the T-Mobile forum, but as a general guideline I think you have two choices. One, leave the phone as it is. You won't be able to get OTA's, but when a new ROM update is available it will probably be extracted and made available in a file that you can manually apply. Two, root the phone, run Triangle Away, and unroot. But make sure you follow the instructions from the T-Mobile forum, and not the Sprint one:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-m...ng-roms-hacks/
    Hi,

Sorry for the wrong location.

Can you tell me how I could manually apply the updated Stock ROM once it's available? And If I manually apply updates, will they wipe my user data or still preserve it like how OTA updates do?

And, I did the following process three times, but to no avail

I am not really sure what the problem is.

Here's what I did:
    1. Rerooted using Motochopper method (successful)
    2. Installed CWM Recovery using Odin v 3.07 (successful)

From Steps 3 onwards, I followed the Guide made by DocHoliday77 from XDA Forum (
    3. Flashed PureStock ROM (successful)
    4. Flashed the unmodified, Secure UVAMB7 Kernel (successful)
    5. Flashed Stock UVAMB7 Recovery (successful)
    * I flashed these using CWM Recovery, not Odin. I wasn't sure how to do it using Odin as I couldn't find any ".tar.md5" files. So I flashed the .zip files using CWM Recovery.
    6. From Recovery Mode, I did Factory Reset and Wiped my Cache. (successful)
    7. Rebooted Phone, used Triangle Away to reset the Counter. (successful)

Then I powered the phone off, entered the Download Mode and everything was still showing official and the Custom Binary Download showed NO at this point. I then booted the phone up again, uninstalled Triangle Away and then from the SuperUser App, I fully unrooted the phone.

Once all this was done, I powered the phone off again and went to the Download Mode and now the Counter showed YES (1 count), Current Binary = Custom, System Status = Official. So now the Device Status under About Phone is back to Modified again.

I have done this 3 times, if anyone can help me figure out what went wrong, I'd really appreciate it! So frustrated

I wish I could offer more help, but the root procedures you mention are all foreign to me, and don't apply to Sprint. That's why I suggested you post again in the T-Mobile rooting forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast