Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tat21985
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Limiting background processes

Has anyone else noticed any difference after changing this setting under developer options? I had moved it from 2 processes at most down to standard, and I noticed that my battery life dropped dramatically. When I opened the battery history details page, I noticed that the phone was awake a lot more often than me just having the screen on.. I switched the option back to 4 processes at most, and have noticed that the awake monitor is only on when I'm using the phone now.. Is this an isolated incident, or have I accidentally stumbled on another battery saver?
    Thanked by:
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.

ROM
    stock JB 4.1.1 / root

Default Re: Limiting background processes

I am just learning my new GS3 and have noticed many applications/processes running in the background (checked my application manager). I guess I will give your idea a try. Any other experienced members have an opinion? Thanks.

Default Re: Limiting background processes

I would recommend letting Android handle background services and not use the developer settings. The root of your problem has to be apps configured to wake the system for updates, et cetera. Either that or low signal strength from the cell tower. Previous versions of Android were not so smart about monitoring CPU usage and task scheduling but these days it's best to let JB or ICS handle it. Also if you have wifi set to turn off during sleep mode I would change that to always on. Waking and sleeping toggling of the wifi radio can lead to more battery drain then the actual processes using the wifi signal. So take a look through the settings of all your apps and see what they might be up to while the phone is sleeping. The free app called system tuner can also assist with this research.

S3 on Sprint - 16gb pebble blue + 64