CDMA only?

Rcrdude64

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Just a toss up question. I'm out near the L.A area and the LTE is lacking and I have only noticed it in one spot where I don't usually hang out. Is switching the phone into CDMA rather than LTE/CDMA going to save battery?

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
In my experience, YES. If the phone isn't always looking for an LTE signal, it seems to me that you've got to save a ton of battery.

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site
My experience, and the anecdotes I've heard, contradict that. I have noticed no appreciable loss of battery life by keeping it on LTE/CDMA/EVDO mode, and neither have other people either on here or XDA. I'd say to keep it in LTE mode since LTE is being rolled out in LA. It will probably reach the areas you frequent a lot sooner than you expect.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
My experience, and the anecdotes I've heard, contradict that. I have noticed no appreciable loss of battery life by keeping it on LTE/CDMA/EVDO mode, and neither have other people either on here or XDA. I'd say to keep it in LTE mode since LTE is being rolled out in LA. It will probably reach the areas you frequent a lot sooner than you expect.

Neither do I...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Same. I haven't noticed any difference between CDMA only and LTE/CDMA being on.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like my battery life decrease must be because of the OS update then, since that occured at about the same time that LTE rolled out big in my area. Many apologies.

trunkmonkey1972

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Ditto on no battery issue. In fact I saw more cdma bars than ever, but doubt it's related. I think my local tower may have gotten upgraded recently because 3g is 2-3 times faster too.

S3 on Sprint - 16gb pebble blue + 64

trunkmonkey1972

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Ya it was becoming pathetic around here too. Like 100 kbps up and down if I was lucky. It could have been a fluke because I'm only 8 hours into the new LTE setting. Also using Speedtest.net app and turned off animations and turned off screen during test which seemed to give better results. I'm assuming they're also more accurate. Time will tell

S3 on Sprint - 16gb pebble blue + 64

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site

I have not noticed any difference in battery life either. I do wish people with issues like that would note of they are rooted and which ROM they are using if they are. It may be an issue with the specific ROM not set right leaving the LTE radio on all the time.

I am not rooted.

Damn auto correct. You always end up posting some thong you didn't Nintendo.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have not noticed any difference in battery life either. I do wish people with issues like that would note of they are rooted and which ROM they are using if they are. It may be an issue with the specific ROM not set right leaving the LTE radio on all the time.

I am not rooted.

Damn auto correct. You always end up posting some thong you didn't Nintendo.

I'm rooted with stock JB and don't have this issue. I have always kept LTE on and the battery has been the same.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
The bars on the display have no relation to 3g/4g signal strength. Only for voice/phone calls signals. So seeing the bars and relating it to data is a mistake.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site
The bars on the display have no relation to 3g/4g signal strength. Only for voice/phone calls signals. So seeing the bars and relating it to data is a mistake.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

I'm not sure which post you're referencing. The only slightly-related post is trunkmonkey1972 saying he got more CDMA bars after NV. He then said he noticed his 2G and 3G were both faster. But both the bars and speed comments were unrelated. I'm assuming that since he specified "CDMA bars" (CDMA being 1x aka voice/2G data), that he already knows what the bars represent. Nowhere in that post did he relate his bars to his data speed. He just said that he had more bars and also noticed increased data speed -- both of which can be true even if unrelated.

If you doubt his claim of more bars, don't. One of the main goals of Network Vision is to increase, not only 3G signal, but voice signal as well. NV is not just about LTE. Not just that, but if trunkmonkey1972 is in Dallas or Chicago, it's very likely that he's seeing 800MHz 1xAdvanced signals, which will significantly increase reception and give you more bars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995