10 Percent an hour?

Rcrdude64

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
So... I'm a battery panicking human. The 3500 on my evo resolved that to an extent for me but now I'm back to a 2100 on this GORGEOUS cellular device. I can't remember the average drop of percent on my evo but I'm 3 hours into use right now and down to 70-69%. That's about 10 an hour and only an hour of screen on time. Facebook sync on the hour. Weather widget on the hour. 2 different gmail accounts, 1 yahoo on the hour. No gps. No available wifi. Screen at lowest setting 99% of the time.

Bottom line is I'm not getting an extended. I love the feel and look of this the way it is. I already have the battery plus charger on order so that should help since I'll always have a spare but does this sound normal to you guys?

Sent from my Galaxy S3

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Go into Settings, Battery and and tell us what is at the top of the list.
Ive noticed heavy battery drain after the last few updates and its always accompanied by Media being at the top of the list.
From there it gets blurry on how to fix. Some say format SD card others say wipe something.. so not sure i can help actually fix the issue but maybe i can help you find the cause.

schulzjt

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
My battery prior to JB lasted approx 1.5 days with medium usage. Since the JB update I could barely get thru a whole day. When I looked at the battery stats it showed that the "Maps" was consuming most of the battery. I turned off Google Now and it is a little better currently. It bums me out that I had to turn off Google Now to get better battery life.

hell_on_heels

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
My battery prior to JB lasted approx 1.5 days with medium usage. Since the JB update I could barely get thru a whole day. When I looked at the battery stats it showed that the "Maps" was consuming most of the battery. I turned off Google Now and it is a little better currently. It bums me out that I had to turn off Google Now to get better battery life.

Sometimes u have to do a factory reset after an update and that fixes battery life. It just kinda resets everything. Use app backup and restore to back everything up. Take out sd card, reset. Wait for booting to be over. Put card back in. Redownload app backup and restore and open it up and restore what u want. Good luck.

o_O WISHING I HAD WAITED AND GOT THE NOTE 2, ANYONE WANNA TRADE? o>_<o~

hell_on_heels

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
So... I'm a battery panicking human. The 3500 on my evo resolved that to an extent for me but now I'm back to a 2100 on this GORGEOUS cellular device. I can't remember the average drop of percent on my evo but I'm 3 hours into use right now and down to 70-69%. That's about 10 an hour and only an hour of screen on time. Facebook sync on the hour. Weather widget on the hour. 2 different gmail accounts, 1 yahoo on the hour. No gps. No available wifi. Screen at lowest setting 99% of the time.

Bottom line is I'm not getting an extended. I love the feel and look of this the way it is. I already have the battery plus charger on order so that should help since I'll always have a spare but does this sound normal to you guys?

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Do u have a power save mode?

schulzjt

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I actually did the factory reset also and that did not help.

Sometimes u have to do a factory reset after an update and that fixes battery life. It just kinda resets everything. Use app backup and restore to back everything up. Take out sd card, reset. Wait for booting to be over. Put card back in. Redownload app backup and restore and open it up and restore what u want. Good luck.

schulzjt

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Oh. U have something running n the background all the time then. U need to find out what that is and delete it.

So I guess I need to turn Google Now back on to determine that, but how do I determine what within "Maps" is eating the battery?

hell_on_heels

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
So I guess I need to turn Google Now back on to determine that, but how do I determine what within "Maps" is eating the battery?

It's maps. If u don't need it, turn it off. Use it when u need to, then immediately turn it off.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Like most people said.. I would get a good list of what is using juice both when the phone is active and in sleep mode. There's a ton of different reasons to be eating mWs.... and there is no one-stop method to catch them all. Those background apps are a killer sometimes, and I try to make sure I have everything close out before I put the phone down.... having an app like Chrome running in the background, especially one that uses a data connection, can silently devour a battery. Outside of that, have you looked into using a battery monitoring app or automation? I've been playing around with Llama and AutomateIt to go in and disable mobile data/background sync when it goes to sleep, but flip it back on for a minute every 15 minutes or so to do a sync then turn everything back off. When its sleeping, I've got it down to a drain of 1% to 2% an hour.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I actually did the factory reset also and that did not help.

Did you reformat your SD card? If you didn't, do that as well. Go into system settings and app manager/all and clear the cache for maps as well. If that doesn't help then clear the data as well. Good luck!

splattered

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I am running on my second post charge day... 1d 0h 31m with 2% battery left...

I do have Wi Fi on, other than that nothing too crazy... standard e-mail sync settings etc

I do notice though that "Screen" is the major juice drainer here at 33%. When i go into the settings to try and adjust the brightness the option is just completely greyed out for me... can i not adjust the screen brightness on this thing to save battery life?

I mean i can go a day of use before having to charge again, but if i can dim the screen a bit and improve that why not :)

Rcrdude64

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
After all of the suggestions I have played through some stuff and didn't find anything major that seemed to be affecting it. The drain is significantly less after having the phone for more time now. Roughly now 2-3 hours of screen time and a comfortable 8 hours of usage before I'm looking for a plug.

Decided to just go back to what I did with my Echo and carry a spare. Nothing says screw your iphone like a brand new full charge available at a moments notice. And with the quick boot time and overall speed of the s3 I couldnt be happier.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

oingo456

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
If you don't care about google wallet and the NFC, you can find 2800mAH - 2900mAH batteries on ebay for the S3 that will fit the stock battery cover. So you can get 38% more battery and still keep your slim phone profile. (The batteries are missing the NFC antenna.)

Then spend some time setting up Juice Defender Ultimate so it turns off wifi and mobile data when the screen is off. I am still using older android 4.0 (blazer rom), but I can get 3-4 days standby if the phone is idle and in a high signal area. If using the phone & data it drops 20% per hour so I can get about 5-6 hours with intense use. (3G only.. we don't have LTE in Phoenix.) With normal use I can easily go 2 days. Good luck.

Jaredshoes

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I am running on my second post charge day... 1d 0h 31m with 2% battery left...

I do have Wi Fi on, other than that nothing too crazy... standard e-mail sync settings etc

I do notice though that "Screen" is the major juice drainer here at 33%. When i go into the settings to try and adjust the brightness the option is just completely greyed out for me... can i not adjust the screen brightness on this thing to save battery life?

I mean i can go a day of use before having to charge again, but if i can dim the screen a bit and improve that why not :)

You probably have auto brightness on, uncheck auto brightness and you should be able to change your screens brightness manually

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrisBowles513