1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Should maps always be running?

Seems like to this is always draining my battery.

Default Re: Should maps always be running?

Mine to I have no idea why

Sent from my SPH-L710

Global Posts
    6,876 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations

You made me look at mine, mine's running too. So I decided to see if it was reported elsewhere, I found this:

OK. That's why I asked. Not going into too much detail... the Android environment tries to help out app developers. There are set variables that are available to all apps. So if you want to have a calendar inside your shopping list app that you're writing, instead of having to code an entire calendar, you can just borrow the native calendar data in Android.

The same thing is true to things such as GPS coordinates, time, phone state (on call or not), volume levels, etc. So, just because "google maps" is running and your GPS icon is on, doesn't mean that Maps is actually running, but could mean that something else is using location data on your phone. Do you use Google.com as your home page in any browser? I have had a problem where it tries to get my location when I go back to the homepage, but I exit out of the app before it can acquire that location and gets stuck. If you go back into the browser, in this case, and let it acquire you location, or tell it to refresh, then exit the app, it goes away.

Also, a restart every now and again can help this kind of thing. Are you running any other programs that may need your location to operate? Latitude? Facebook Check-In, etc.?
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel

I installed Google chrome last week and since then maps has been using a lot of battery and my phone lasts about 1/2 as long. I uninstalled it this morning and going to see how much difference it makes.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

You can turn off gps and disable maps until you need them.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Not every device nor provider is for everyone. So choose carefully before you put your money down. Then live with your decision.

Sprint Note 3
    Nexus 7 (2013)
    Asus Transformer Pad TF300T
    Chromecast