Stock messaging app - need help

shaneontherocks

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I've had the stock messaging app for months now. I like that while in a text I can put the phone up to my ear and it will automatically call the contact. I also like how when I get a text a notification comes on the lock screen showing how many texts I received. The only thing I am not pleased with is that 1. NO EMOJIS and 2. When I get a long text it comes in seperately and NEVER IN ORDER. I am running stock GS3 on Sprint. I checked the option in settings to have long messages come in as a single message but it doesn't work.

So I went to Handcent. I love the emojis and the UI of the messaging app BUT, now I can't put my phone up to my ear to quickly call someone and now I do not get any number display on the handcent icon to show how many texts I got nor does it show the numbers of texts on the lock screen.

Anyone know some setting I can choose? I picked the pop up option on Handcent but it's just a text pop up. Not like the stock messaging app. I hate that I get one thing but loose another feature. Anyone know if Android will ever just get the damn emojis on the stock messaging app? If they had them I would never use Handcent.

Any input or tips would be helpful. I don't want to root/flash. I like being stock. FYI. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

cbass6411

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I know everything about the Stock messaging app. There is no way to implement emoji's into THAT stock messaging app unless you do it yourself (not worth the time). But you can get a CM10 mms.apk floating around here somewhere with emoji support I used to use it everyday, but I love the stock messaging UI.

Anymore questions just ask.

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
If u running jelly bean on ur s3 for sprint, emojis work on stock messages... Just download multiling keyboard

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

cbass6411

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I know everything about the Stock messaging app. There is no way to implement emoji's into THAT stock messaging app unless you do it yourself (not worth the time). But you can get a CM10 mms.apk floating around here somewhere with emoji support I used to use it everyday, but I love the stock messaging UI.

Anymore questions just ask.

st4yglossy

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
The stock app does show emoji just not in color like handcent. You have to go into settings and change the font to see emoji. I have my font set to Helvetica S. I also used handcent to see the ones that the stock dont support. To show how many unread you have for handcent you have to go into the app then settings and notications and select show unread messages. Not sure if it will show on lock screen

shaneontherocks

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I am running JB. PLEASE HELP!!?!?!? I don't wanna use a different keyboard? I like the sywpe keyboard.

And to all: I uninstalled Handcent. I noticed a significant decrease in battery life and it just wasn't worth it for emojis. I like how the stock messaging UI works.

shaneontherocks

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The stock app does show some emojis in black but I can't send any of them/ my font is set to normal. No where do I find that I can change the fon't to see emoji. Can you help? I hate Handcent. it was draining my battery and it doesn't have all the cool features the stock mes. app has like number of texts on lockscreen and auto dial from text field.

cbass6411

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks but I am not rooted I don't flash I prefer stock. Dang it. I just want emojis on the stock app. damn.

I love stock rooted. Best Choice Imo amazing battery life plus everything I need. But there isn't a way unless rooted

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

ubigred

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
The stock app does show some emojis in black but I can't send any of them/ my font is set to normal. No where do I find that I can change the fon't to see emoji. Can you help? I hate Handcent. it was draining my battery and it doesn't have all the cool features the stock mes. app has like number of texts on lockscreen and auto dial from text field.

Try ChompSms

Sent from my SGS3!

cbass6411

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Chomp automatically reverts them to emojis. But no lock screen text count.
I also prefer the stock messaging app. I prefer it so well that mine is themed ;)
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon