Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By richard197999
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Notification sound for Exchange Email account...

    I'm back with another question about this damn Exchange email account.

    The notification sound that I choose does not work (Good News). "Good News" is also my default ringtone for my gmail notification. The problem is that when I get an email through Exchange, the tone the phone uses is "Postman". Why? Why can I not change the Exchange notification ringtone? Somewhat annoying.

    Help me.

    Thank you all.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Notification sound for Exchange Email account...

    Quote Originally Posted by fetterjohn View Post
    I'm back with another question about this damn Exchange email account.

    Help me.

    Thank you all.

    The notification sound that I choose does not work (Good News). "Good News" is also my default ringtone for my gmail notification. The problem is that when I get an email through Exchange, the tone the phone uses is "Postman". Why? Why can I not change the Exchange notification ringtone? Somewhat annoying.

    Actually you can change the notification for the exchange services such as email. When you're in email (in any account), hit the menu button, settings, select the account that you would like to customize the notification for, scroll near the bottom to email notifications, and change the notification ringtone type. However, you will have to do this for the different apps that you would like to customize such as the calendar. The default ringtone is for general system notifications, such as sprint updates, notifications, and other stuff.

    I also utilize the exchange for my corporate emails and I have gone through all the related apps in which I synch and have customized the notifications. I like it that way. Therefore, I don't even have to look at the phone and I know what has come through. I hoped this help.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Notification sound for Exchange Email account...

    Quote Originally Posted by 42rj21 View Post
    Actually you can change the notification for the exchange services such as email. When you're in email (in any account), hit the menu button, settings, select the account that you would like to customize the notification for, scroll near the bottom to email notifications, and change the notification ringtone type. However, you will have to do this for the different apps that you would like to customize such as the calendar. The default ringtone is for general system notifications, such as sprint updates, notifications, and other stuff.

    I also utilize the exchange for my corporate emails and I have gone through all the related apps in which I synch and have customized the notifications. I like it that way. Therefore, I don't even have to look at the phone and I know what has come through. I hoped this help.
    That theory sounds strong...but if fact does not happen. I know very well how to change ring tones and notification settings. For instance, right now I purposefully changed Gmail to "Good News", text messages to "Opener" and I have Exchange email (for work) set to "silent"...guess what happens when a work email comes in...it freakin' rings that damn "postman" tone. I can't change it and I can't silence it unless I silence the whole phone, which I do not want to do. I have two freinds that have this same issue...so it seams to be the S3 or JB...

    But I think I give up...
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Notification sound for Exchange Email account...

    Quote Originally Posted by fetterjohn View Post
    That theory sounds strong...but if fact does not happen. I know very well how to change ring tones and notification settings. For instance, right now I purposefully changed Gmail to "Good News", text messages to "Opener" and I have Exchange email (for work) set to "silent"...guess what happens when a work email comes in...it freakin' rings that damn "postman" tone. I can't change it and I can't silence it unless I silence the whole phone, which I do not want to do. I have two freinds that have this same issue...so it seams to be the S3 or JB...

    But I think I give up...
    That's weird. It works on mine with no problem. I don't know if it's because I'm running a custom rom, but I doubt it. I tried googling it to see if anything came up, but I didn't see anything right away. But I have another idea and this will only work if you're rooted. If you're looking to silence the postman notification, using your root explorer, navigate to the following file:

    system/media/audio/notifications/S_Postman.ogg

    Rename the file to be S_Postman.ogg.bak

    This will kill the postman notification from sounding when you receive an exchange email. When I tried it, I thought that the system would look for the postman notification file, then see that it wasn't there and then default to the system notification sound. But it didn't. But maybe it finally looks for the selected notification that you have for your exchange? If you're rooted, give it a shot. Let us know how it works out.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Notification sound for Exchange Email account...

    Quote Originally Posted by 42rj21 View Post
    That's weird. It works on mine with no problem. I don't know if it's because I'm running a custom rom, but I doubt it. I tried googling it to see if anything came up, but I didn't see anything right away. But I have another idea and this will only work if you're rooted. If you're looking to silence the postman notification, using your root explorer, navigate to the following file:

    system/media/audio/notifications/S_Postman.ogg

    Rename the file to be S_Postman.ogg.bak

    This will kill the postman notification from sounding when you receive an exchange email. When I tried it, I thought that the system would look for the postman notification file, then see that it wasn't there and then default to the system notification sound. But it didn't. But maybe it finally looks for the selected notification that you have for your exchange? If you're rooted, give it a shot. Let us know how it works out.
    Not rooted nor will I ever be...not something I care about.

    But I am still confused that you are the only one who has commented. Are we the only two in this forum that use a Microsoft Exchange email account? Why am I the only one in this whole forum with issues? I'm sad...
  6. #6  
    ow13's Avatar

    Posts
    1 Posts

    Default Re: Notification sound for Exchange Email account...

    But I am still confused that you are the only one who has commented. Are we the only two in this forum that use a Microsoft Exchange email account? Why am I the only one in this whole forum with issues? I'm sad...
    Had the same problem. Are you SURE that you are not setting General-setting? You have to make changes to the account.

    Wrong place:
    Settings – Accounts – Microsoft Exchange ActiveS.. – Settings – General preferences – Select ringtone: Silent
    Adjusting General is not changing account which already exists. Don't know what it is for.
    Correct place:
    Settings – Accounts – Microsoft Exchange ActiveS.. – Settings – ing – Select ringtone: Silent
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Notification sound for Exchange Email account...

    I use Exchange with the stock email account, and whatever ringtone I select plays just fine. As ow13 ways, though, the setting for the individual account overrides whatever is set for General settings in the email app.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

    If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

    Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Notification sound for Exchange Email account...

    I have the same issue mate, and i am able to navigate to where you can change the notification sound, but the option i blanked off, in other words you can touch on it but it is not an active option. Surely someone has a solution? I'm annoying my colleagues in the office with that pesky postman sound!!!
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Notification sound for Exchange Email account...

    Quote Originally Posted by sflucks View Post
    I have the same issue mate, and i am able to navigate to where you can change the notification sound, but the option i blanked off, in other words you can touch on it but it is not an active option. Surely someone has a solution? I'm annoying my colleagues in the office with that pesky postman sound!!!
    I had the same problem, ringtone option greyed out, I fixed it though, my ringtone option became live once I took the phone off of silent mode.

    Felt a bit simple afterwords.
    Thanked by:
    b1208 
    b1208 likes this.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Notification sound for Exchange Email account...

    Wow... I just understood what you meant by feeling simple afterwards.
  11. #11  
    mvelasco2's Avatar

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

    Default Re: Notification sound for Exchange Email account...

    My issue was when setting exchange to use silent ringtone mail would not push. I had to set it to postman to resolve, very strange.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Notification sound for Exchange Email account...

    Something's off. I have the ringtone for exchange set to silent, and get push email fine. The ringtone shouldn't impact delivery.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

    If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

    Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
  13. #13  
    mvelasco2's Avatar

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

    Default Re: Notification sound for Exchange Email account...

    Right, a few hours after I posted I had the same sync issues. I started a new thread for this.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Notification sound for Exchange Email account...

    Nope - sadly, you are not the only one...I'm here looking for answers myself...the postman alert is quite annoying ...and I have my email notification set for silent...
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Notification sound for Exchange Email account...

    I had to factory reset my GS3 yesterday and now I'm having that same issue with the postman ringtone. My exchange email is set for silent and it will not change, this was not a problem before I reset the phone. I don't understand why this is such a PIA, I thought resetting would stop me from wanting to get rid of this thing, but this issue is just as annoying.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Notification sound for Exchange Email account...

    Just got my phone a few weeks ago and no matter what I set my email notification sound setting to it rings "Postman" every time. I have even set it to "silent" and still, the "postman" notification tone sounds. I'm annoyed.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Notification sound for Exchange Email account...

    Oh wow real simple indeed. Turning the phone off silent worked for me. Went fron greyed out to white instantly. Thanks everyone
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Notification sound for Exchange Email account...

    I would like to add to this with sort of a step by step walk through on the postman issue (from a T-mobile Note 2)

    There are 3 levels to this @#$&*( sound.

    1 - The default for the phone.
    2 - The default for the account i.e.
    3 - the one that I FINALLY found - the default for ActiveSync itself

    To change or silence the postman:
    Settings and then go to the accounts section
    Open up active sync and then go to settings, then tap the Added Accounts that you want to change (please note, I only had one, my company account). This should open a menu that is fairly long and includes the Exchange ActiveSync Settings, server settings, synchronize settings and everything for the account. If you are in a settings menu that is very short (but includes notification and sounds) does NOT control the notification for ActiveSync.

    The "General Preferences" is NOT the controlling location which is where I had been going to and has the short menu list. So if you have been changing that section and you want to throw the phone out the window, look for the ActiveSync settings.

    I hope this helps.

Similar Threads

  1. Notification sounds for stock email
    By realjet in forum Verizon HTC Rezound
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-11-2012, 08:42 PM
  2. Can I set different notification sounds for each gmail account?
    By slholland32 in forum Samsung Stratosphere
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-21-2011, 06:35 PM
  3. different notifications for different email accounts?
    By miss chris in forum Verizon HTC Thunderbolt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-18-2011, 09:25 AM
  4. Seperate notification sounds for each email account?
    By jediman in forum Motorola Droid 2
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-24-2010, 11:38 PM
  5. Notification Sounds for email and texts??
    By nerddrew in forum Verizon Fascinate
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-21-2010, 11:24 AM

Posting Permissions

B