Turning off keyboard in Google Now?

TrappedOn

May 16, 2012
Visit site
So compared to my Nexus 7, Google Now seems almost crippled and annoying to use on my GS3.
On the Nexus 7 when it pops up, all of your cards are instantly visible, giving you useful information.
Yet on my GS3, when Google Now is activated, the keyboard automatically pops up, blocking the cards.
The back button goes back to the previous screen & the only way to make the keyboard disappear is to tap the 1/4 inch space between the keyboard and the search bar.

Has anyone been able to figure out a way to make the keyboard appear only when the search bar is selected?
Most of the time I want to see cards when I activate Google Now, not search.

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
How do you get into Google Now? If your tapping on the search bar to get into it, then it thinks you want to search something therefore the keyboard pops up. I use Nova Launcher and I have set to swipe up to activate Google Now and no keyboard appears for me..

dad2noah

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Where is the "swipe up to activate" feature?
As far as launching google now, I just long press the button to the left of the physical home button. Up comes google now, with the keyboard.
But then again, I'm rooted using a WS ROM. Not sure if that part has anything to do with it.

leprechaunshawn

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm using Swiftkey 3 and my keyboard pops up if i long press the menu button or use the search bar. If I use the app icon for Google, the keyboard does not pop up.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Where is the "swipe up to activate" feature?
As far as launching google now, I just long press the button to the left of the physical home button. Up comes google now, with the keyboard.
But then again, I'm rooted using a WS ROM. Not sure if that part has anything to do with it.

Correct, the long press on the menu button is search. So of course it brings up the keyboard. Look for Google in the app drawer. You can make a shortcut on your home screen.

Last edited:

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
How do you get into Google Now? If your tapping on the search bar to get into it, then it thinks you want to search something therefore the keyboard pops up. I use Nova Launcher and I have set to swipe up to activate Google Now and no keyboard appears for me..

Exactly right. This is a great feature of Nova Launcher; you can place up to 5 icons on your lock screen, and change them whenever you want. Love it!

Ardalista

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
So compared to my Nexus 7, Google Now seems almost crippled and annoying to use on my GS3.
On the Nexus 7 when it pops up, all of your cards are instantly visible, giving you useful information.
Yet on my GS3, when Google Now is activated, the keyboard automatically pops up, blocking the cards.
The back button goes back to the previous screen & the only way to make the keyboard disappear is to tap the 1/4 inch space between the keyboard and the search bar.

Has anyone been able to figure out a way to make the keyboard appear only when the search bar is selected?
Most of the time I want to see cards when I activate Google Now, not search.

To access Google Now without the keyboard automatically appearing just swipe up from the bottom of your screen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC