Netflix Playback is Dark

lacherice

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
OK, I have been searching for two days and I cannot find the solution. It's probably something simple, too. I have auto brightness off and the slider is all the way to the right. I have no power save setting on that I know of. I have compared my co workers HTC Evo (on Sprint's network) with my phone and the playback is noticeably brighter. If an area on the screen is dark, I cannot see any details.

In addition, the WIFI connection is horrible. It skips and blurs every once in a while. I turned of power save under WIFI and it's still the same. My previous phone (Samsung Galaxy S) had no issues and I was using it under the same conditions. I would like to keep the phone, but I use Netflix the majority of the day.

Any suggestions?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
OK, I have been searching for two days and I cannot find the solution. It's probably something simple, too. I have auto brightness off and the slider is all the way to the right. I have no power save setting on that I know of. I have compared my co workers HTC Evo (on Sprint's network) with my phone and the playback is noticeably brighter. If an area on the screen is dark, I cannot see any details.

In addition, the WIFI connection is horrible. It skips and blurs every once in a while. I turned of power save under WIFI and it's still the same. My previous phone (Samsung Galaxy S) had no issues and I was using it under the same conditions. I would like to keep the phone, but I use Netflix the majority of the day.

Any suggestions?

Htc evo lte has a brighter screen. Nothing you can do about that. I have no issues with my Wi-Fi. Have you restarted your router.

lacherice

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Htc evo lte has a brighter screen. Nothing you can do about that. I have no issues with my Wi-Fi. Have you restarted your router.

I haven't restarted the router. I'm having this issue at work. My co-worker doesn't have any lag and it doesn't go blurry at times and shes further from where the router is located. This is the older version of the HTC Evo from about two years ago. Does that matter? And, do you know if the Samsung Galaxy S has a brighter screen?

I called Sprint and they sent me a replacement phone for the WIFI issue and the new phone they sent is darker than the one with WIFI issues. Well, they both have WIFI issues, sadly. Thanks for the reply.

JCJ77

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Any suggestions?

Regarding the darker screen...is it always dark or does it dim when using Netflix? I had an issue with my screen dimming when using certain apps. I was advise that it was something in my power save settings. I unchecked "background color" and it fixed the issue. Try it if you use per saving.

No clue about the router. Sorry.

Sent via Tapatalk from my SGSIII running the hottest ROM right now! ;-)

lacherice

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Regarding the darker screen...is it always dark or does it dim when using Netflix? I had an issue with my screen dimming when using certain apps. I was advise that it was something in my power save settings. I unchecked "background color" and it fixed the issue. Try it if you use per saving.

No clue about the router. Sorry.

Sent via Tapatalk from my SGSIII running the hottest ROM right now! ;-)

Yeah, I have all power save settings off. I want to think it's the Netflix app, but on the second phone Netflix is even darker. It's almost impossible to see what's going on in dark scenes. The screen brightness is great for everything else, even for the stock video player. :(

AJC1973

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Ok dumb question but do you have your screen brightness settings set to auto? I know that when I watch a movie I usually adjust the screen to brightest then shut the auto adjust off... Helps a lot

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

lacherice

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Ok dumb question but do you have your screen brightness settings set to auto? I know that when I watch a movie I usually adjust the screen to brightest then shut the auto adjust off... Helps a lot

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

I have brightness all the way up (without the auto box checked) and all power save options off. I just came back from the Sprint store and the tech there said his phone does the same thing and it has to do with Netflix, which I don't really believe. He said something about Netflix using so much power it dims the screen even with the power save options off. I asked if there was an app out there where I can manually adjust it for Netflix and he said not that he knew of.

Rajesh Moorjani

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site

Any suggestions?

Go to Settings > Display. Switch off Auto Brightness. Worked for me.

Polish2683

Nov 28, 2018
Visit site
I'm having the same issue but only for certain shows and certain episodes of that show (The Ranch) it's not a brightness issue, I don't have auto brightness on, it's specific to the Netflix app, been looking for a fix and can't find one. I thought maybe it compressed the file to less resolution and brightness because I left my wifi network too quickly when downloading an episode one day. That's not it, it's a bigger issue

Trevor Perera

May 25, 2019
Visit site

Any suggestions?

Hi, I have the same issue, There is a work around.

What you can do is play the movie or episode

While playing, pause it using the space bar. Then again resume using the space bar. It will keep the brightness lefel. But if you mouse click it then it goes back to the dark screen. If it does after hitting pause.with the space bar. Try moving the mouse

Last edited by a moderator:

tirebiter55

Jun 19, 2019
Visit site
I have the same problem on a Samsung Galaxy Tab.

Brightness is set to max.

Other apps (VLC, HBOGO, etc) are fine. Their display is bright and clear.

Netflix is so dark, I can barely see any movement, much less the actual actors and settings.

Any ideas how to fix?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze