Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Mtp error when connecting via usb

I just updated my phone to jb via odin. I'm trying to root but whenever I plug in my phone to usb, I get a failed driver message, and my phone says mtp needs to close. Ive uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, rebooted the phone and computer, and turned on/off usb debugging mode. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this? Thanks!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Carrier
    stock for now

Default Re: Mtp error when connecting via usb

I had the same problem what i did was redownload the drivers on a different computer and installed them there and every thing went fine. If you don't have another computer go to Samsung's website redownload the drivers and reinstall them

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    Skunkape60 likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Unfortunately, I don't have another computer. I reinstalled the drivers from the Samsung website but it still didn't work . I didn't have any problems until I upgraded to jelly bean...

Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by ireknole View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't have another computer. I reinstalled the drivers from the Samsung website but it still didn't work . I didn't have any problems until I upgraded to jelly bean...

So is it just not popping up? Mine never tells me with a pop up. Connect your phone and go into my computer and see if it has your phone listed as a device there. If it is, double click on it and it will show the card and phone.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

It's not popping up at all in my computer. Even in the devices window, it shows up at the bottom, not with my regular devices, and it says it needs to be troubleshooted

Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by ireknole View Post
    It's not popping up at all in my computer. Even in the devices window, it shows up at the bottom, not with my regular devices, and it says it needs to be troubleshooted

Mine shows up in the same place and that is the correct place as it is an MTP device and not listed as a Drive.

Here's what I would like you to try.

Stop windows from updating your drivers. When it comes to drivers pick and chose do not allow windows to automatically do it. Do not update Samsung, or usb drivers.

To Stop Windows from updating them

1. Right Click on "my computer" and choose "properties".
    2. Look on the left side of the window and choose "advanced system settings."
    3. On top choose the "hardware" tab.
    4. Click on the "Device Installation Settings."
    5. Choose "No, let me choose what to do"
    6. Choose "Never install driver software from windows update."

Now lets remove your drivers and Samsung Kies (if you have Kies installed)

1. go to your computers control panel / add and remove software (win xp) or programs and features (windows 7).
    2. Uninstall Kies and Samsung drivers.
    3. When complete, restart computer and phone.

GS3 Drivers "]Download these Drivers

4. Install the drivers on your computer but do not plug in your phone until it has completed.
    5. plug in your (already started) phone. It should now recognize your phone and at the bottom right corner say it is installing the software for your phone. click on view details. 4 drivers should load and as it progresses green checks will appear when successful.

Look in my computer under Portable Devices and you should see SPH-L710. Double click on it and choose either the card or the phone to move files to or from.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thanks for the steps. I'm away from home for the weekend, but I'll give it a try when I get home.