Terrible 3G on S3!!! (like 8kbps !!!)

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I left Sprint 6 months ago because of the absolutely terrible 3G performance in Philadelphia.

My friend just upgraded to the Galaxy S3 on Sprint.

I installed Speedtest.net and he's getting like 8 kbps

Since his phone is LTE, and there's no LTE yet in Philly, how dare sprint even sell this phone, let alone charge their famous $10/month premium surcharge!

They should be sued!

Mike, now happily on ATT!

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
My other sprint friend (with an S2) who also gets the same 3G performance, switched on his wimax and 700kbps down.

Why doesn't sprint better allocate between 3G and wimax?

It doesn't make sense to me!

Mike

leprechaunshawn

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I?ve been through the same thing. After my wife and I bought our first house this summer I found the Sprint service to be terrible in our neighborhood. I spoke with someone in executive customer service and was promised two $50 bill credits if I was willing to wait out 2 tower upgrades that were scheduled for my nearest tower. It seemed like a fair deal, so I waited. It was nice to save the $50/month and I?ve been with Sprint for over 12 years so leaving was going to be a last resort. The tower upgrade dates came and went and my service didn?t improve, so I called back the woman I had been working with. She offered an ETF waiver and I accepted. Now, when I log into sprint.com, it shows that my contract was fulfilled on 12/3/12.

We haven?t ported our numbers out yet because we?re waiting to see if anybody will have the Verizon GS3 for under $100 between now and Christmas.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
That sucks..
Im in Dallas, and my GS3 and EVO LTE get 500-1 meg down when im at home, and at work im on 4G LTE and i get 2-8 megs down on that..

Hey, Any other Philly peopel out there care to chime in with their speeds and perhaps help out..

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I left Sprint about a week or so ago because of this. Their 4G wimax is cool but their 3G is gas station coffee to Starbucks. I figured I might be paying less than other carriers but if I'm not getting good service then I'm wasting my Money. I got the S3 on Sprint and a couple hours passed and the page I clicked on when I first got it in the browser still didn't load. I returned the phone the same day. They said the 4G LTE wouldn't be up and running til 2014 and i couldn't wait that long and listen to anymore lies about when they were going to be up and running. If you have Sprint, run for the hills!!

RS Aurelius

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm having similar issues (SMS not going thru, call quality problems, MMS issues, 3G poor speeds, etc.)

Tech support keeps repeating 'no known issues in the area.', and essentially call me a liar and that I have to go into a Sprint store before they will 'validate' any of my claims.

My buddy at VZW states that tech support can see failed SMS and things like that, not sure if that's true, but I'm at a crossroads...I just got into a new 2 year contract with sprint on the GS3, and Sprint service hasn't been worse. I'm tired of paying the asinine monthly rate for crap service. How can I get my ETF waived due to lack of service if they are essentially calling me a liar? I have names of the reps, have had tickets entered to no avail.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I just ran several rounds of Speedtest. In a suburb of Washington, DC, I'm getting 900 to 1400 kbps download, and 800 - 1650 kbps upload on 3G. (Yeah, I'm surprised that I'm seeing upload speeds faster than download, but that's what Speedtest shows.)The speed varies quite a bit depending on which server I select, too.

But I know it's a lot worse in some places. I never really understood why people complained about how slow Sprint was. Then I went to Chicago. It's painfully slow there. I haven't run speedtest there, but I feel like I'm growing old waiting for web pages to load when I'm there.

On wifi, I'm getting about 19-20000 kbps download, 25 - 28,000 kbps upload.

Edit: See this thread - http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...81-lte-separate-antenna-vs-3g-like-wimax.html

Setting the phone to CDMA only may help speed things up a little bit although it didn't seem to do anything for me.

bdecastro77

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site

crneedham1013

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Okay so I live in Vegas and I have the GS3. No 4g lte yet, but my biggest question is which antenna should I have turn on? My 4g LTE/EVDO or just the CDMA? I know we don't have LTE yet but does that make the phone get better signal? Another thing is there any way I can root it to be able to pick up the 4g wiimax? Just some questions.

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Is there a separate lte antenna on a sprint s3? If so, how do you turn it on/off?

Is lte on by default?

When lte gets turned on in my area, is there anything I need to do to use lte?

Thanks for any clarifications u can share, Mike

---Sent from the most advanced android mobile super-computer on the planet: the Samsung Galaxy S3 on AT&T, featuring simultaneous voice & data and speedy 4G!!!

lyingfromyou

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I left Sprint 6 months ago because of the absolutely terrible 3G performance in Philadelphia.

My friend just upgraded to the Galaxy S3 on Sprint.

I installed Speedtest.net and he's getting like 8 kbps

Since his phone is LTE, and there's no LTE yet in Philly, how dare sprint even sell this phone, let alone charge their famous $10/month premium surcharge!

They should be sued!

Mike, now happily on ATT!

Same here on the Florida panhandle... dial up is faster than some of the ota speeds I get on my gs3!

Ez Duzit

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
There's no EVDO on the GS3. Just LTE and CDMA.

You can switch between "LTE/CDMA" or just "CDMA" by itself in settings. If there is no LTE in your area (yet), just use the CDMA setting. If you choose the LTE/CDMA option the phone will use 3G and switch to LTE automatically when it's accessible.
Go to system settings and in the first category "Wireless and network" select More settings / Mobile networks / Network mode. Then make your selection. That's it.

And out here in Socal the 3G signal throughout Riverside and San Bernardino counties is absolutely craptastic. Double or single digit speeds when you need it in so many areas it's disgusting. I often have to force roam with an app called Roam Control just to use navigation on the phone. I think the app was $3.99 but well worth it.

Last edited:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
There's no EVDO on the GS3. Just LTE and CDMA.

No, that's wrong. I think you're confusing EVDO and WIMAX. EVDO is 3G data, and most definitely exists on the GS3.

You can switch between "LTE/CDMA/EVDO" or just "CDMA/EVDO" by itself in settings. If there is no LTE in your area (yet), just use the CDMA setting. If you choose the LTE/CDMA option the phone will use 3G and switch to LTE automatically when it's accessible.
Go to system settings and in the first category "Wireless and network" select More settings / Mobile networks / Network mode. Then make your selection. That's it.

Fixed it for you.

cygnusx8

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm in Chicago. We have LTE but it's very spotty and at times doesn't work at all. According to Sprint support, they are still working on it in my area. I signed a 2 year contract to get an S3 and my wives contract is up in a couple of months. My question is, what are my chances of getting out the contract? I would think it's a breach of contract for them to charge me $20 every month for data and provide such terrible service. What do you guys think?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm in Chicago. We have LTE but it's very spotty and at times doesn't work at all. According to Sprint support, they are still working on it in my area. I signed a 2 year contract to get an S3 and my wives contract is up in a couple of months. My question is, what are my chances of getting out the contract? I would think it's a breach of contract for them to charge me $20 every month for data and provide such terrible service. What do you guys think?

Do I think it sucks your getting horrible data? Yes. Is it a breach of contract?... That's pushing it hard core. I am not trying to stick up for the speeds.. I've had to deal with them in FL at times as well and it isn't right but.. they guarantee you data but not the speeds so they aren't breaching contract. The only way I know to get out of contract with Sprint is to force them to cancel the contract.. Which usually can be done by forcing roam on Verizon and using a lot of data.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

coachpelkey

Man of La Mancha
Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
meyerweb,
I live in the Gainesville area outside of DC. I get horrible speeds with my G3 and most times if I am not on wifi, the 3g button will only flash a green bar on the right side.
Going down into Manassas they have 4g and even some areas of Haymarket has 4g....anything you might suggest? My phone is not rooted, I am frustrated with Sprint's service as well.