Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Receiving Multiple Copies of the Same Text Message

Has anyone else experienced receiving multiple copies of the same text message? Just today I've received about 15 copies of the same text from my daughter over a period of 3-4 hours. I'm not sure if it's related to phone itself or Google Voice. I've tried restarting the phone... no change. Thanks for any suggestions/comments.

Sprint Network Galaxy S3
    Using Google Voice
    Nova Launcher
    Android 4.1.1 (stock)
    Retired Ambassador

Default Re: Receiving Multiple Copies of the Same Text Message

Quote Originally Posted by ncwitz View Post
    Has anyone else experienced receiving multiple copies of the same text message? Just today I've received about 15 copies of the same text from my daughter over a period of 3-4 hours. I'm not sure if it's related to phone itself or Google Voice. I've tried restarting the phone... no change. Thanks for any suggestions/comments.

Sprint Network Galaxy S3
    Using Google Voice
    Nova Launcher
    Android 4.1.1 (stock)
    Never from a text but occasionally get multiple copies of gtalk messages...
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

It's still happening.. since about 3 pm. No set frequency between texts, but so far must have received at least 25-30 copies. I've tried disabling the linkage to Google Voice for Sprint. No effect so far. Starting to drive me crazy.

That happened to me on my EVO LTE.. Which is why I have the SG3 now.. I say call sprint and ask for assistance. They tried to refresh the cpu which didnt work so i just asked for a new phone.. no problems thus far

I never had this happen to me until last week after Sprint had me do a soft reset to fix another problem. Since then I have gotten the same messages multiple times from two different people. Sprint now wants me to do a hard reset. I was hoping to find a fix here.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Not sure it was really the fix for anything but after 1. Disable Google Voice, 2. soft reset, 3. Enable Google Voice... so far no longer getting duplicates... at least for now. It seems to be a transient problem... not occurring consistently. Oddly, when it happens it is most often with my daughter who has another S3.

Quote Originally Posted by ncwitz View Post
    Not sure it was really the fix for anything but after 1. Disable Google Voice, 2. soft reset, 3. Enable Google Voice... so far no longer getting duplicates... at least for now. It seems to be a transient problem... not occurring consistently. Oddly, when it happens it is most often with my daughter who has another S3.
    After talking with Sprint this afternoon, a soft reset is what they did to my phone last week that may have started this problem with my phone. Also, both times it happened, it was an S3 that was sending the texts.

I have a HTC One X + and it is happening to me on AT&T. Different people

Global Posts
    833 Global Posts

Are any of you with this problem using an Airave, Handcent or Gosms? Or any combination of these... if so, disable all of them for a day or two. The airave definitely causes multiples, but I've also has them when using Handcent or GoSMS...

<< Sent from my SG3 using Tapatalk >>
    Thanked by 2:

Had the problem and sprint had me just reset my Airave and that fixed my problem.

Cash Money Castro

Angry Re: Receiving Multiple Copies of the Same Text Message

I am using a micromax canvas A110 with airtel SIM. I am also receiving multiple messages but only when message is coming from and AIRCEL sim. with other carriers it is fine, no problem.

Sometimes I get up to 17 of the same text message. Within 10 seconds of waking my phone up I can get up to 17 duplicates of the same text. If I have multiple people text me while my phone is asleep my phone sometimes won't vibrate I press the power button to wake my phone and if I'm lucky only one person texted me and it will only get duplicated 10 times... if 3 pwople texted me it can get into the 20s... needless to say my phone goes crazy for about 10-15 seconds. This happens everyday.

Do you have any sorta apps that forward your messages to your computer (i.e. MightyText) or a 3rd party text messaging app?

Quote Originally Posted by ihbsbA View Post
    Are any of you with this problem using an Airave, Handcent or Gosms? Or any combination of these... if so, disable all of them for a day or two. The airave definitely causes multiples, but I've also has them when using Handcent or GoSMS...

<< Sent from my SG3 using Tapatalk >>
    I am, i have that stupid airrave that doesn't really do much, and i use handcent. I've had this issue since the end of last year. But being a computer tech, I've narrowed it down to sprint.

I've disabled different apps & services, hard & soft reboots, and even did not a full wipey & restore. Removing the airrave did nothing. And it keeps happening intermittently, but only from other sprint accounts, but i get em from iPhones's, evo's, s3's, two note2's, and gtalk accounts. But again only from other sprint customers. Nothing i have come across works, i just deal with it now. But unlike poor Droid15 up there, i only get 2 maybe 3 duplicates from any one sender.

If you've solved this, please post ALL your findings here.

My phone runs more on Verizon air than it does on Sprint. I have noticed that when on another network I get repeated texts. If I am on my airrave, I am OK. Sprint sort of sucks in the cell strength around here. Should have stayed with Verizon.

Global Posts
    833 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Weazrbmxr View Post
    I am, i have that stupid airrave that doesn't really do much, and i use handcent. I've had this issue since the end of last year. But being a computer tech, I've narrowed it down to sprint.

I've disabled different apps & services, hard & soft reboots, and even did not a full wipey & restore. Removing the airrave did nothing. And it keeps happening intermittently, but only from other sprint accounts, but i get em from iPhones's, evo's, s3's, two note2's, and gtalk accounts. But again only from other sprint customers. Nothing i have come across works, i just deal with it now. But unlike poor Droid15 up there, i only get 2 maybe 3 duplicates from any one sender.

If you've solved this, please post ALL your findings here.
    My issues stop when I turn off my Airave.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.

ROM
    Stock 4.4

Airave: no
    Sprint: 3G (LTE off)

The multiple message thing happened only every now and then, maybe when service kicked in and out and perhaps Sprint's lines couldn't tell if the msg was successfully sent. But yesterday 6/25 from about 5pm and continuing into this morning, I'm getting repeat texts, at random times, and even out of sequence despite having 4 of 5 bars. Wife's iPhone not having the same issue, so maybe it's the sender's carrier? Or is this phenomenon dependent on signal strength where -dare I say it- the iPhone gets better signal strength than my S3 (4.1.2 @PBMD4 @3.0.31)

cheers/dom

I have re-received every text msg since 7-3 early am at least every 3 hours since they were origonally sent. The Message details show the time they were actually received and the time they were actually sent as hours and days ago... As I receive quite a few texts I am not getting dozens of repeat texts an hour. I called CS and they have tried everything, credited my account for $40 this month, promissed to credit me an aditional $40 for next month, are going to waive the replacement fee on my phone, and give me a bran new HTC One. Too bad it will take another 4 hours to transfer everything from one to the other through the HTC transfer tool... :-(

Anyone got a solution other than returning a mildly bricked phone for a new one?

I^2 = -1

I also keep getting multiple texts and I am still receiving them a day later. The only thing I notice is that they are text
    messages from Sprint Users. It is so annoying.
    Man of La Mancha

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

Wow thats alot of messages.
    I would take the htc one, most of the stuff you can transfer, shouldnt it be backed up ? Get app monster pro or something like that to help.

i did notice one thing. i live in canada so not the same company so its not the service provider. i tried turning off google sync completly and thus far i have had nothing but will post if i do get more.

I had the same problem with my Sony Xperia Pro (MK16i), running on Android 4.0.4 (ICS).

Whenever I install an app that turns the screen off on a shake, twist or turn the problem occurs: multiple copies of an SMS.
    When I disable it or better even, uninstall it, everything turns out normal.
    Apparently the App prevents SMS-Receive-Reports to be sent back tot the SMS provider (phone-company) 's Servers.
    Then these think the SMS was not received (phone off or something alike) ant try is after 10 minutes or so (depending on the provider) again.
    This causes multiple receipts. Until the phone get the opportunity to send a SMS-Receive-Reports back. Then the whole circus stops. Until the next SMS.

Try to see if something uses the Device-control slots (see settings-security). Try to disable it or uninstall it.
    Or get a newer phone or Android version.
    Otherwise, I also don't know.

Cheers,
    Imre
    Thanked by 2:
    Ricardo Arcila likes this.

I resolved this by removing Facebook messenger ap from my phone.

Try performing a manual network selection. if its set to automatic and not connecting properly, the phone texting you can keep tyring to send untill it does go through, and then they will all come through,

Ciaran

Try uninstaaling avg antivirus then restart and check
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast