Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    bluebandit97's Avatar

    Posts
    46 Posts
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 2.3.3

    Default Tethering

    I have decided to get rid of our current, overpriced internet at the house. Yesterday I played with tethering for quite a while with mixed results. I have questions for those of you that have experience in USB tethering:

    1) I got to a point where I could surf, but nothing else was getting a connection (Windows Update, services, etc). Is the tethering for just the browser and no other windows services? Couldn't even connect to GTalk.
    2) There was no indication that the computer was connected to the net at any time. I just opened up a web page (chrome mind you) and it miraculously loaded a page. I loaded the drivers (that would load) through a root toolkit. I was using EasyTether if that helps.
    3) One of the best things about root is the free tethering. I want to take advantage of the "truly unlimited data" (lol) on sprint and use my phone as the source for internet my Dish Network Hopper. Anybody try doing this? If so, were you successful and how did you go about making it work?

    Thanks everyone!
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  
    bluebandit97's Avatar

    Posts
    46 Posts
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 2.3.3

    Default Re: Tethering

    Can a mod please move this to the Rooting section please? my bad
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Tethering

    Im a firm believer that you should be paying an additional fee for that.
    Oh wait, you should be, its called Sprint Hot Spot.. Not Root and take advantage of it and use free hot spot.
    Its users who take advantage of the network that cause others to get poorer, slower network service and in the long run cost us to pay higher prices. If more users keep rooting and not paying for tethering Sprint will have no choice but to put caps in place..
    Just my opinion. Others will vary. Read the fine print of your contract, Unlimited data usage is for the data your device can use, Not for you to use as your ISP at home..
    DropBox lets you sync files across Android, iOS, and Desktop Computers. Sign up for free, install, get me and you extra space! DropBox
    Twitter @AndroidTechGuy and @IAmSixNine
    Google+Google+
  4. #4  
    Theot's Avatar

    Posts
    199 Posts
    ROM
    Whomp 4.2/Perseus 36.3

    Default Re: Tethering

    Quote Originally Posted by IAmSixNine View Post
    Im a firm believer that you should be paying an additional fee for that.
    Oh wait, you should be, its called Sprint Hot Spot.. Not Root and take advantage of it and use free hot spot.
    Its users who take advantage of the network that cause others to get poorer, slower network service and in the long run cost us to pay higher prices. If more users keep rooting and not paying for tethering Sprint will have no choice but to put caps in place..
    Just my opinion. Others will vary. Read the fine print of your contract, Unlimited data usage is for the data your device can use, Not for you to use as your ISP at home..
    I disagree, the ridiculous prices we all pay for service, for the phones, locked into it for 2 years and repeating the cycle after that. In Europe and Asia they pay far less for service than we do. In my opinion something that costs me as much as a small car payment each month that I can never pay off and Have to continually pay more for every contract while they continue to put more and more stores and charge more and more for data that I don't believe costs them any more to run whether there's traffic on it or not. If its on its on.

    Sorry I don't feel guilty

    From an Eclipsed GNEX
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Tethering

    Quote Originally Posted by IAmSixNine View Post
    Im a firm believer that you should be paying an additional fee for that.
    Oh wait, you should be, its called Sprint Hot Spot.. Not Root and take advantage of it and use free hot spot.
    Its users who take advantage of the network that cause others to get poorer, slower network service and in the long run cost us to pay higher prices. If more users keep rooting and not paying for tethering Sprint will have no choice but to put caps in place..
    Just my opinion. Others will vary. Read the fine print of your contract, Unlimited data usage is for the data your device can use, Not for you to use as your ISP at home..
    Shouldn't have to use sprint hot spot when tethering is BUILT INTO android phones. Shouldn't need to root, the carriers should stop perverting the OS and keep it pure

    sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    bluebandit97's Avatar

    Posts
    46 Posts
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 2.3.3

    Default Re: Tethering

    Quote Originally Posted by IAmSixNine View Post
    Im a firm believer that you should be paying an additional fee for that.
    Oh wait, you should be, its called Sprint Hot Spot.. Not Root and take advantage of it and use free hot spot.
    Its users who take advantage of the network that cause others to get poorer, slower network service and in the long run cost us to pay higher prices. If more users keep rooting and not paying for tethering Sprint will have no choice but to put caps in place..
    Just my opinion. Others will vary. Read the fine print of your contract, Unlimited data usage is for the data your device can use, Not for you to use as your ISP at home..
    I respect your opinion and will not argue with you about it. Although I will say in reference to your caps statement, if you recall carriers didn't start implementing data caps until the iPhone came out and AT&T realized they couldn't keep up with the demand for data on their poor excuse for a network. Soon, other carriers saw that people will pay for more data. Along came Google and AOSP into the mainsteam. They gave the user the choice to do what they want. The ability to root your phone through warranty voiding hackery was a welcome addition to the industry. Though the carriers are all running businesses and by all rights can and will charge for "additional" data usage, still doesn't make it right in the eyes of the consumer, who in today's economy, is trying to pinch every penny and get the most bang for their buck. I commend Sprint and T-Mo both for keeping with what the people ask for, because they are the whole reason they are in business after all. Rant done, thank you for listening

    Quote Originally Posted by Theot View Post
    I disagree, the ridiculous prices we all pay for service, for the phones, locked into it for 2 years and repeating the cycle after that. In Europe and Asia they pay far less for service than we do. In my opinion something that costs me as much as a small car payment each month that I can never pay off and Have to continually pay more for every contract while they continue to put more and more stores and charge more and more for data that I don't believe costs them any more to run whether there's traffic on it or not. If its on its on.

    Sorry I don't feel guilty

    From an Eclipsed GNEX
    I agree with you completely. With the ever expanding LTE market by all the carriers and the fact that phones improve just as fact as PCs, is all the more reason to root and unlock the full potential of our devices. After all, they are exactly that, OUR devices. If we want to void our warranties and risk bricking a $500-600 piece of equipment, we should be able to. The carriers are simply providing a service in order to use our devices. UI overlays (Sense, TW, Motoblur) are conveinent ways of putting a pretty face to an OS, but they are loaded down with stuff that the majority of people wont even use because 1) they aren't good programs and 2) most of the time, those bloat programs want to add to your bill even more. If I want to pay for a app every month, then I should be given the choice to choose what program it is I'm paying for. The fact that we have to pay X amount of dollars on top of our already outragous service fees just to use one of our phone's built in features is ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hustleman View Post
    Shouldn't have to use sprint hot spot when tethering is BUILT INTO android phones. Shouldn't need to root, the carriers should stop perverting the OS and keep it pure

    sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
    Amen. But, for us techies and geeks out there, rooting is half the fun.

    Now that all that is out of the way, anyone have any input on my questions?
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Tethering

    Quote Originally Posted by clytle View Post
    I respect your opinion and will not argue with you about it. Although I will say in reference to your caps statement, if you recall carriers didn't start implementing data caps until the iPhone came out and AT&T realized they couldn't keep up with the demand for data on their poor excuse for a network. Soon, other carriers saw that people will pay for more data. Along came Google and AOSP into the mainsteam. They gave the user the choice to do what they want. The ability to root your phone through warranty voiding hackery was a welcome addition to the industry. Though the carriers are all running businesses and by all rights can and will charge for "additional" data usage, still doesn't make it right in the eyes of the consumer, who in today's economy, is trying to pinch every penny and get the most bang for their buck. I commend Sprint and T-Mo both for keeping with what the people ask for, because they are the whole reason they are in business after all. Rant done, thank you for listening


    I agree with you completely. With the ever expanding LTE market by all the carriers and the fact that phones improve just as fact as PCs, is all the more reason to root and unlock the full potential of our devices. After all, they are exactly that, OUR devices. If we want to void our warranties and risk bricking a $500-600 piece of equipment, we should be able to. The carriers are simply providing a service in order to use our devices. UI overlays (Sense, TW, Motoblur) are conveinent ways of putting a pretty face to an OS, but they are loaded down with stuff that the majority of people wont even use because 1) they aren't good programs and 2) most of the time, those bloat programs want to add to your bill even more. If I want to pay for a app every month, then I should be given the choice to choose what program it is I'm paying for. The fact that we have to pay X amount of dollars on top of our already outragous service fees just to use one of our phone's built in features is ridiculous.

    Amen. But, for us techies and geeks out there, rooting is half the fun.

    Now that all that is out of the way, anyone have any input on my questions?
    I agree, rooting is the best.

    sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
  8. #8  
    rickspencer's Avatar

    Posts
    15 Posts
    ROM
    stock

    Default Re: Tethering

    Hot topic isn't it? or perhaps hotspot topic. The bottom line is we signed a contract with Sprint - a contract which gives them a right to terminate us almost at their whim - and they have been pretty clear about tethering. Although I don't like them being able change the terms of their contracts, they do, and our only option is to go somewhere else. If it was "legal" to use the hotspot without paying for it I think we would have seen it established in some court case by now. The term "unlimited data" has been used to justify tethering ( I myself have used this argument ). If it was "ok" to root and tether for free then Sprint would not be able to charge for their hotspot plans, and I'm sure if a judge was to decide this issue Sprint would be the victor. I gotta say I respect IAmSixNine for voicing his belief on a forum like this where most people will disagree - vehemently. If you do tether for free just don't get caught... I think that says it all.
    Last edited by rickspencer; 02-02-2013 at 06:51 AM.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    bluebandit97's Avatar

    Posts
    46 Posts
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 2.3.3

    Default Re: Tethering

    Quote Originally Posted by rickspencer View Post
    Hot topic isn't it? or perhaps hotspot topic. The bottom line is we signed a contract with Sprint - a contract which gives them a right to terminate us almost at their whim - and they have been pretty clear about tethering. Although I don't like them being able change the terms of their contracts they do and our only option is to go somewhere else. If it was "legal" to use the hotspot without paying for it I think we would have seen it established in some court case by now. The term "unlimited data" has been used to justify tethering ( I myself have used this argument ). If it was "ok" to root and tether for free then Sprint would not be able to charge for their hotspot plans, and I'm sure if a judge was to decide this issue Sprint would be the victor. I gotta say I respect IAmSixNine for voicing his belief on a forum like this where most people will disagree - vehemently. If you do tether for free just don't get caught... I think that says it all.
    Yes, apparently this is a hot"spot" topic . I think though the underlying argument here isn't if root tethering is "legal' from a carrier standpoint, rather if its right to charge an extra X amount of dollars to use something that's obviously and blatantly built into Android. Contracts are contracts and can and will be changed without notification. It's in every EULA we ALL sign on the dotted line for, click yes or agree, or verbally say ok. It's like using Twitter and having to pay to RT something. Someone will find a way around it eventually. In some cases, I've heard of carriers automatically adding on the charge for those that are obviously abusing it (using some god awful amount of data), but for the most part it doesn't put that much more stress on the network, especially in my case where Big Red is the prominent carrier in this area. "Unlimited Data" is a loosely used term, i will admit. But, it is advertised as such and the only cap that in place is on standalone hotspots (50gb I believe). Is root and/or tether "legal"? Root by itself voids your warranty hands down. Enough said. Is tether "legal"? depends on how you comprehend the contract. From a legal standpoint, probably not. From a "legal" standpoint, its a grey area. Like you said, just don't get caught. And I also commend IAmSixNine for opening himself up to be attacked.

Similar Threads

  1. Tethering Apps
    By tyger#ac in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-28-2013, 10:17 PM
  2. Tethering?
    By hroberts89436 in forum HTC Droid Eris
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-05-2009, 03:34 PM
  3. Tether program
    By ajac in forum HTC Hero
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-21-2009, 11:54 PM
  4. Tether htc hero with computer via bluetooth?
    By esanger02 in forum HTC Hero
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-19-2009, 04:30 PM
  5. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-07-2009, 02:54 AM

Posting Permissions

B