Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Default Re: Phone Insurance

I haven't used 3rd party insurance and like you I can't drop that much coin at one time on a new phone. As with most insurance, it's a pool where they are banking on you not using it.

I've typically gone with the carrier supplied insurance mostly because of the ease of getting my phone replaced. The one time I actually needed it because my phone was water damaged I walked in and was out in 15 minutes with a new phone (paying the required deductible of course).

My understanding of 3rd Party plans is though they may be cheaper, that's because there is often a limit to what they will cover. Read the fine print.

Often with 3rd Party plans the procedure for getting a replacement is more time consuming than just walking into your provider and getting a phone. How long are you willing to go without a phone? I think that even with Apple Care you have to wait to get a new phone from Apple.

Once again read the fine print. Sometimes faster phone replacement is worth a little more money.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by nelschroeder View Post
    I haven't used 3rd party insurance and like you I can't drop that much coin at one time on a new phone. As with most insurance, it's a pool where they are banking on you not using it.

I've typically gone with the carrier supplied insurance mostly because of the ease of getting my phone replaced. The one time I actually needed it because my phone was water damaged I walked in and was out in 15 minutes with a new phone (paying the required deductible of course).

My understanding of 3rd Party plans is though they may be cheaper, that's because there is often a limit to what they will cover. Read the fine print.

Often with 3rd Party plans the procedure for getting a replacement is more time consuming than just walking into your provider and getting a phone. How long are you willing to go without a phone? I think that even with Apple Care you have to wait to get a new phone from Apple.

Once again read the fine print. Sometimes faster phone replacement is worth a little more money.

Even with Sprint, you probably aren't walking out of the store with a new phone... every Sprint store in my area tells me "call asurion"

Sent from my G-Note 2

Quote Originally Posted by tirith View Post
    Even with Sprint, you probably aren't walking out of the store with a new phone... every Sprint store in my area tells me "call asurion"

Sent from my G-Note 2
    I'm not on Sprint. My local provider handles replacements right at the store. Just going with my experiences. Yours are obviously different.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator352 View Post
    I agree. We PAY for this insurance so we should get a "new", "in the box" phone no matter the circumstances....even if it's still under warranty by the manufacturer. The only way I feel someone should get a refurb is when they have no insurance and it breaks during the warranty period. But breaks by natural means = new phone. Breaks by misuse = refurb, but with some sort of deductible.
    You PAY for the insurance specified in the terms and conditions, nothing more and nothing less. If the terms and conditions say they can give you a recond. phone, that's what you paid for. If you don't like the terms, don't buy the insurance. If there were enough demand, the insurers might well offer a policy that guaranteed you a brand new phone. But you can bet the premiums, and probably the deductible, would be higher.

Following up on your comment about car insurance, if you total your car, do you think your insurance company will buy you a brand new one? If so, you're likely to be sorely disappointed. What they'll give you is a check for the current average value of a used car the same age as yours. If your phone is a year old when you break it, why do you think the insurance would treat it as a brand new one?

Quote Originally Posted by nelschroeder View Post
    I'm not on Sprint. My local provider handles replacements right at the store. Just going with my experiences. Yours are obviously different.
    I am on Sprint, and I had two Palm Treos replaced at the local Sprint store. One time I got a refurb, the 2nd time a brand new, in box upgrade (a newer model than the one that died). I have a business account, so that might affect how they handle it, but mostly I think it's just down to what the store has available and how the person behind the counter feels that day.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    You PAY for the insurance specified in the terms and conditions, nothing more and nothing less. If the terms and conditions say they can give you a recond. phone, that's what you paid for. If you don't like the terms, don't buy the insurance. If there were enough demand, the insurers might well offer a policy that guaranteed you a brand new phone. But you can bet the premiums, and probably the deductible, would be higher.

Following up on your comment about car insurance, if you total your car, do you think your insurance company will buy you a brand new one? If so, you're likely to be sorely disappointed. What they'll give you is a check for the current average value of a used car the same age as yours. If your phone is a year old when you break it, why do you think the insurance would treat it as a brand new one?

I am on Sprint, and I had two Palm Treos replaced at the local Sprint store. One time I got a refurb, the 2nd time a brand new, in box upgrade (a newer model than the one that died). I have a business account, so that might affect how they handle it, but mostly I think it's just down to what the store has available and how the person behind the counter feels that day.
    I know this. That's why the key word is "should" get a new phone. If it breaks at no fault of your own, why should the owner...whom is still paying for it...get a phone possibly in worse condition? Sure the refurb will work but that's not the point.

I also know this about car ins. They give you a check equal to the Kelly Blue Book value less depreciation if you total your car. But my point in my situation was that it looks worse now than before it was hit. It shouldn't be that way. It should look "exactly" like it did before the accident or better. And neither was/is the case.

Global Posts
    798 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Please make sure you come back and let us know when you drop your phone and shatter the screen before the new year.
    Guess what? I'm one of the ones who never understood how someone could break a $600 phone - dropped my SG3 3, screen shattered. I know how and why and it was because I was NOT being careful - but I did have Best Buy's protection (which I paid for outright when I bought the phone) and it was replaced. You do have to wait, and give up your phone because they take it to send it in - meanwhile, IF AVAILABLE, you will be given a loaner phone. After a week of waiting for a replacement, the store just gave me a new phone from the store. Typically they don't do that until after 14 days but I was leaving for a 10 day trip and needed the phone - I asked and they replaced it. After all, it's not my fault they don't have refurbs to give out - that's something BB does to save money, but I feel if they don't have refurbs available (14 day wait is ridiculous), they should give you a new one right away.

By the way, Sprint's TEP is $11 but they have other levels of coverage - check, I asked and they still have a $7 plan. Can't remember what it covers, but you could ask.

My 2 cents says, I feel it's a complete waste of money for ANY tacked on insurance for anything As far as phones are concerned, I'd rather put my money into a quality case for protection and if something ever does go wrong, I always keep my old phone for a backup and would just have one of these phone geek techs repair my phone if I couldn't do it myself. I can guarantee 99% of the time I would come out way ahead rather then buying an insurance plan just to hope they will cover the problem after the deductable they force me to pay.
    Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by EVO_girl View Post

By the way, Sprint's TEP is $11 but they have other levels of coverage - check, I asked and they still have a $7 plan. Can't remember what it covers, but you could ask.
    The Sprint TEP is now based on the non contract price of the phone, so unfortunately, anything short of an LG Rumor isn't working for $7

Sent from my G-Note 2

No one has mentioned worth ave group? Its the best if you have a tablet or laptop to insure. They even do used items no matter how long ago you bought em. You can get a tablet/laptop plan and add a smart phone for 10 bucks. Best part is if the tablet/laptop plan has no deductible, neither does the phone.

To do a Nexus 7 16 GB and a Nexus 4 16gb you need $550 of coverage. That's $51 for one year, minus a 15% coupon code (newcustomer), plus 10 dollar phone rider and processing fees and you got a one year policy for 48.35 with no deductible on either item with unlimited claims because it is insurance and not a warranty. Also covers water damage and theft.

Can get two years for 83.20. Get a little discount for getting 2 years at once. You can get one year now and renew at the end of the year. Even let it lapse and then renew again. Great plan. I asked to make sure but as long as it is on a rider to a no deductible policy the phone has no deductible as well. Can't find much better myself.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Gator352 View Post
    I know this. That's why the key word is "should" get a new phone. If it breaks at no fault of your own, why should the owner...whom is still paying for it...get a phone possibly in worse condition? Sure the refurb will work but that's not the point.

But my point in my situation was that it looks worse now than before it was hit. It shouldn't be that way. It should look "exactly" like it did before the accident or better. And neither was/is the case.
    I still have to disagree, and I don't think you do "know this." You're getting exactly what you signed up and paid for. If that's not what you wanted, you shouldn't have wasted your money on the insurance.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Please make sure you come back and let us know when you drop your phone and shatter the screen before the new year.
    So let's say I do break the screen in the next few days. Samsung will fix it for $180 and give me my phone back. Assurian will replace it with a refurb for $150. And if I keep the insurance for a year, I've paid an extra $100 for that refurb ($131 insurance + $150 deductible = $281 vs. $180 for a repair). In order for the insurance to pay off financially I'd need to replace the phone twice in a year. If the deductible were something reasonable, like $50 or $75, I might buy the insurance. As it is, I'll take my chances.

Quote Originally Posted by Ytsejamer1 View Post
    I've never bought insurance. I'm pretty careful with my devices, but there are people who just drop it all the time and do pretty stupid things to their phone. Insurance might be in those cases, worth it.

But normally speaking...I've heard too many stories of insurance getting sold as "IF ANYTHING happens, we'll replace it for free!!!!"... Then when something happened, the Sprint store gave the customer a hard time, charging them a deductible of a couple bills, then charging extra to get the info off of the old phone onto the new (to you...likely a refurb) one. A lot of times I've seen in person, the Sprint rep simply state that they're not going to fix it, but they'll sell a new phone for $500!!!! Eff that.

This is the most misleading statement I have read all year. Sprint is NOT the insurance company. And you do NOT pay your deductible to the Sprint store. And Sprint stores are NOT allowed to charge you to remove info from your old phone to your new phone! Although they do find it annoying when asked to transfer contacts from an Android to another Android. ( because it is so simple a 6 year old can do it) And if ....IF they sell you a GS III at full retail they do NOT make all that much money, under 100.00.
    If the damage is NOT the customers fault or doing. Such as the screen stops working and there is no water damage and no abuse they are required to replace the phone at no cost and order an AE. ( advanced Exchange)

I have Tec on my note 2 on Verizon and its only $6.99mo with a $99 deductible through asurion. How is sprint so much higher? I keep insurance for the peace of mind and knowing anything can happen, even if you are "careful". And as for getting a refurbished phone, well i did send them a broken phone that was used too...it's like if you wreck your car (not total) and it can be fixed. Do you expect a brand new car? No, it's the same used car that you got fixed by using insurance paying a premium and a deductible.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I still have to disagree, and I don't think you do "know this." You're getting exactly what you signed up and paid for. If that's not what you wanted, you shouldn't have wasted your money on the insurance.
    First off, did I mention whether "I" have/had insurance? Nope. Because I don't. I have an Otter box case as my insurance and if it breaks even with the case on, I will buy a new one. Yup...I can do that. So I haven't wasted my money on anything. As for post #24 when I said "we", I was speaking in third person meaning "WE" as consumers.

But I disagree with you and I do "know this". Like I said, the keyword was "should". I didn't say they "have to" or "need to". So this shouldn't need any more explanation.

ROM
    clean rom ics

Best Buy insurance is better than ensureon or however that is spelled. Sprint does Not have their own insurance. They just resell insurion, however that is spelled. They seem to make up excuses as to why they should deny a claim or charge you a large copay. And if you admit to rooting the phone, you get nothing. Best Buy does not care. No copay, and no yelling water damage.

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk HD
    If at first you don't succeed, then sky driving is not for you.

Don't know where all this hundreds of dollars are coming from. You can do worth ave group to insure a tablet and the S3 for hella less. $800 coverage ($600 for off contract sprint 32gb S3 and $200 for nexus 7) is 61.95 with a coupon code for one year or 110 for two years with NO deductible and unlimited claims. Covers all accidental damage, water damage and theft. Less than the other companies, plus has a one year option, plus you are covering two devices instead of one. You could do this with a cell and a laptop as well. No matter when you bought the laptop/tablet or cell phone. If you do a cell by itself there will be a deductible. 62 bucks might be worth it to some to cover two devices with no deductible. The $110 for two years itself is barely more than some deductibles. And two years at 7 a month is 168! Then you have to pay a deductible if you break something. Why ever would you do the 7 bucks a month thing unless you truly couldn't afford $61 at once? And if you can't, you really shouldn't have a $500-$700 smart phone with a $100+ a month bill. Course if you don't want insurance at all the point is moot and I don't know why you are even in this thread besides to tell others they are dumb. Everyone has been able to say they have never broken a phone before until they do....
    Last edited by SOLGarion; 12-31-2012 at 03:13 PM.

A link to the insurance would have been more useful than a link to Sprint's web site, but otherwise....

I'm in this thread because I hoped to find a reasonably priced alternative to Assurian. It looks like you might have provided one. Do you have an personal experience with a claim with this company? A low price isn't a bargain if they find every excuse to avoid paying off. A quick Google search seems to indicate less than stellar service.

I gave the name, figured that would get people there. They are called worth ave group. Website is worthavegroup.com. I have 3 policies with them covering an iPad, 2 Nexus 4s, Kindle Fire and a Kindle Paperwhite. Go to quote and pick tablet. When you fill in info it will have a spot on the bottom to click cell rider and put in your cells serial.

I am actually in the middle if an iPad claim right now so we shall see how that goes. It actually got busted 3 days after I bought the policy by my two year old and claim was approved with no issues. No idea how, it was in a griffin survivor series case and I was dozing on the couch. Woke up and it was face down on the floor with the screen shattered. I swear he didn't move from my side while I dozed or was even using it. Maybe I knocked it off in my sleep but it is easier to blame him.

They make you do iPads separately from other tablets, like other warranty/insurance plans, so you have to have a deductible on those. iPad plan was 35 I think with $50 deductible, still unlimited claims. $85 is less than it would cost for me to replace the shattered screen.

Use coupon code newcustomer for 15% off.

Edit: most reviews out there are about the iPhone and iPad plans but here is an actual claim from Android person on a theft claim.

Last edited by SOLGarion; 12-31-2012 at 05:26 PM.

Ok, update on the iPad (3rd Gen) claim for service info.

Timeline:
    12/23 Sun - iPad screen shattered.
    12/23 Sun - Sent in claims info needed.
    1/3 Thurs - Received Box via 2-day Fedex for the iPad with pre-paid return label.
    1/3 Thurs - Place iPad with $50 deductible in the box and got it to Fed Ex Store same day.
    1/7 Mon - Signed for in the afternoon by Repair shop
    1/8 Tues - Received Shipping info via email from Fedex
    1/10 Thurs - Received repaired iPad back. Looks great.

So not counting Christmas Eve or day they took 6 business days from claim submission to get the box to me. I do wish they just let me download a pre-paid label so I could send it in sooner but I can understand them wanting it to be packaged the way they want. Who knows how people would ship a broken iPad and what additional damage it could cause above the original damaged claimed. Then it was a one day turn around from when they got the ipad. 12 business days from claim submission til I got back an iPad with a perfect screen. 18 total days counting Christmas eve, day and weekend. I could still use the iPad since it had a Griffin Case with screen protector on it while waiting for the box. Shattered but was still touch responsive. So really I was only without the ability to use it at all for only one week. Over all I am impressed.

Cost: 31.45 (with 15% discount code) + $5 Processing fee (You only have one $5 per order even if you order multiple policies at once, so if you intend to protect multiple devices, do this.) = 36.35 Total for 1 year insurance set to auto renew at the end of the year.

+ $50 deductible.

$86.35 total spent to get the screen replaced. Plus I have unlimited claims until the policy runs out with a $50 a time for just about every type claim except for simply losing it (but it does cover theft.) Cost of screen plus digitizer online is about $43 plus I have to install myself and risk that. For $50 a time, and a 2 1/2 year old at home. It is worth it to me. YMMV.

I am excited that my Kindle Paperwhite, Son's Kindle Fire, and both my families Nexus 4s have coverage with WAG with unlimited claims and NO DEDUCTIBLE. Might finally have my phone go naked, at least when you can readily buy Nexus 4s again. And maybe still full body screen protector for scratches...screw Otterbox. And Griffin for that matter as the iPad broke in their extreme military case.
    Thanked by:

Thanks for the report. I'll be checking them out. This was Worth Ave Group, right?

Yup.

Remember 'newcustomer' promo code for 15%, you need to bundle a phone with either a tablet or a laptop to be able to have no deductible (and pick a coverage the is enough for both devices) and there is a $5 processing fee per transaction but you can get a bunch of policies at once and only pay the $5 once. If you purchase multiple policies at diff times or as separate purchases you will pay the $5 for each transaction.

Some companies promise a replacement phone the next day, like asurion or protect your bubble but they are also much much more expensive even before the $99-150 deductible with limited claims. (2 a year for protect your bubble.) If you need to have it by next day then WAG is not for you. But if you are a cheap *** like me and can live with a go phone until you get a repair/check/replacement WAG is awesome.

I've used SQUARETRADE for years and never had a problem with a claim. They cover water damage and customer neglect as well. My Galaxy S3 cost $50 for 2 years coverage. My last phone was an Evo and it was $40 for 2 years. I have all electronics covered with this company. While traveling my husband broke his phone and call Squaretrade who told him to take it into a sprint store. They replaced the glass in 20 minutes and charge him $50. We called Squaretrade to inquire about the $50 fee and a check was in the mail by time we returned home. I once broke a phone and they told me to mail it to the repair center but they overnited me a new phone before I could even get it mailed to them.

Gcaver2

ROM
    MOAR 9

Quote Originally Posted by gcaver2 View Post
    I've used SQUARETRADE for years and never had a problem with a claim. They cover water damage and customer neglect as well. My Galaxy S3 cost $50 for 2 years coverage. My last phone was an Evo and it was $40 for 2 years. I have all electronics covered with this company. While traveling my husband broke his phone and call Squaretrade who told him to take it into a sprint store. They replaced the glass in 20 minutes and charge him $50. We called Squaretrade to inquire about the $50 fee and a check was in the mail by time we returned home. I once broke a phone and they told me to mail it to the repair center but they overnited me a new phone before I could even get it mailed to them.

Gcaver2
    How did you get 2 years for $50, the lowest I was offered was $129 at the time I was looking so went with ensquared.
    Galaxy S3 running MOAR Official v9.0. 50+ Mods Morphology 3.9.14

David

This is precisely the kind of post I was looking for. A clear, detailed look at the claims process for Worth Ave Group. Thanks mate!

Quote Originally Posted by SOLGarion View Post
    Ok, update on the iPad (3rd Gen) claim for service info.

Timeline:
    12/23 Sun - iPad screen shattered.
    12/23 Sun - Sent in claims info needed.
    1/3 Thurs - Received Box via 2-day Fedex for the iPad with pre-paid return label.
    1/3 Thurs - Place iPad with $50 deductible in the box and got it to Fed Ex Store same day.
    1/7 Mon - Signed for in the afternoon by Repair shop
    1/8 Tues - Received Shipping info via email from Fedex
    1/10 Thurs - Received repaired iPad back. Looks great.

So not counting Christmas Eve or day they took 6 business days from claim submission to get the box to me. I do wish they just let me download a pre-paid label so I could send it in sooner but I can understand them wanting it to be packaged the way they want. Who knows how people would ship a broken iPad and what additional damage it could cause above the original damaged claimed. Then it was a one day turn around from when they got the ipad. 12 business days from claim submission til I got back an iPad with a perfect screen. 18 total days counting Christmas eve, day and weekend. I could still use the iPad since it had a Griffin Case with screen protector on it while waiting for the box. Shattered but was still touch responsive. So really I was only without the ability to use it at all for only one week. Over all I am impressed.

Cost: 31.45 (with 15% discount code) + $5 Processing fee (You only have one $5 per order even if you order multiple policies at once, so if you intend to protect multiple devices, do this.) = 36.35 Total for 1 year insurance set to auto renew at the end of the year.

+ $50 deductible.

$86.35 total spent to get the screen replaced. Plus I have unlimited claims until the policy runs out with a $50 a time for just about every type claim except for simply losing it (but it does cover theft.) Cost of screen plus digitizer online is about $43 plus I have to install myself and risk that. For $50 a time, and a 2 1/2 year old at home. It is worth it to me. YMMV.

I am excited that my Kindle Paperwhite, Son's Kindle Fire, and both my families Nexus 4s have coverage with WAG with unlimited claims and NO DEDUCTIBLE. Might finally have my phone go naked, at least when you can readily buy Nexus 4s again. And maybe still full body screen protector for scratches...screw Otterbox. And Griffin for that matter as the iPad broke in their extreme military case.

Sorry I forgot to say that I got the 2 years for $50 because of a discount coupon Square Trade offered me. The reason for the coupon was because I've insured multiple gadgets with them over the years. I was very please that that saw fit to reward me for being a loyal customer. The full price for 2 years was $129 at the time, which is much cheaper than the cost of buying a new phone.

Gcaver2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12