Phone Insurance

1moneymark

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
As most of you know, sprint raised insurance rates on the GS3 to $11/month. On my last phone (EVO4g) i had insurance and had to use it because of a charging port issue. Im asking to see what most people think about insurance. I buy my phones when i can sign a contract for discounted phone prices ($50 GS3). i cant drop $600 on new phone. ive been researching 3rd party insurance and have found it for much less then sprint. some of the 3rd party insurance just covers damage some covers theft.

1. Do you buy phone insurance?
2. do you but it through sprint or through a 3rd party?
3. what has your experiences been with 3rd party insurance?

thanks in advance for helping me make my decision.

Ytsejamer1

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I've never bought insurance. I'm pretty careful with my devices, but there are people who just drop it all the time and do pretty stupid things to their phone. Insurance might be in those cases, worth it.

But normally speaking...I've heard too many stories of insurance getting sold as "IF ANYTHING happens, we'll replace it for free!!!!"... Then when something happened, the Sprint store gave the customer a hard time, charging them a deductible of a couple bills, then charging extra to get the info off of the old phone onto the new (to you...likely a refurb) one. A lot of times I've seen in person, the Sprint rep simply state that they're not going to fix it, but they'll sell a new phone for $500!!!! Eff that.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I do the TEP because of two things:
Water damage
Theft

I bought my phone at Radio Shack and their insurance does not offer protection for those two things.
Squaretrade does not offer protection in case of theft.

TEP is pricey, but even over the course of 20 months (the earliest an upgrade is offered) it is still cheaper than $500 or more you'd spend to replace it without coverage.

I guess what it really comes down to is...are you a gamblin' man? I'm careful with my phones and haven't had to use insurance in years...but everyone has that moment - be it getting mugged, tripping and falling into a puddle, a case of "butterfingers" - when it makes it all worth it.

Super Dave426

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I insured 3 G3s through Ensquared, $99 for 2 years and the phones are covered for all kinds of mishaps. Looks to be 3 claims for the 2 years with a deductible, but at least they are covered.

Herduc

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
I had my gs3 insurance through geek squad, bought the phone in Best Buys. Is 10$ a month and you also get a free battery replacement.
I had a problem with my phone disconnecting from the wifi, took it back, and got a loaner phone, my replacement came the next business day. No complaints so far.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

lyingfromyou

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I had my gs3 insurance through geek squad, bought the phone in Best Buys. Is 10$ a month and you also get a free battery replacement.
I had a problem with my phone disconnecting from the wifi, took it back, and got a loaner phone, my replacement came the next business day. No complaints so far.

I have that insurance also, it's only $2.00 more than sprint a month. We usually keep the insurance on until the phone gets close to it's eol! (or for a little over a year) The only thing it doesn't cover is theft... The good is that there is no deductable! People don't always have $150.00 when they smash up their handsets...

duddy23b

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I too have TEP and yes I don't like the fact that despite paying a monthly fee that equals roughly $132 a year, $11 a month you still have to pay a deductible and be subjected to questions as to how damaged happened or if it was sabotaged. and then get a refurbished phone despite the fact that there are thousands who have TEP insurance which in my book should eliminate the need for a refurb phone or the deductible or both considering the monies charged earn interest and are nuisance fees.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I pay Verizon for insurance because even us super careful folks never can be too sure something won't happen. It extends the manufacturer's warranty I think about extra year and covers damage, lost or stolen. It's worth it to me because I'm a person that will never pay full price for a cellphone, even if it's after I lost mine. I say keep it or get it if u don't already have it.

My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch

fetterjohn

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I also have the phone insurance through BB...I paid up front so it only comes out to $168 or $7 per month. There is no deductible and they cover everything except loss and theft. My only concern is if BB is going to be in business in the next two years...

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I also have the phone insurance through BB...I paid up front so it only comes out to $168 or $7 per month. There is no deductible and they cover everything except loss and theft. My only concern is if BB is going to be in business in the next two years...

I dont think best buy is going out of business anytime soon. You're good.

jeeplj8

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I simply cannot see the economic advantage of the insurance. The cost for two years is $222, and then you still have to pay a deductible of 150 or 200. For that money you could simply buy another GS3 of CL.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I simply cannot see the economic advantage of the insurance. The cost for two years is $222, and then you still have to pay a deductible of 150 or 200. For that money you could simply buy another GS3 of CL.

$220 + $150 to $200 deductible is still less than a brand new S3 w/o contract fresh out the box at any carrier's store. You're paying for piece of mind knowing that the normal everyday occurrences that may happen to our cell phones that we are safe. U pay car insurance all year and if u get into an accident, u still gotta pay a deductible for ur car to get fixed. Even if u never get in an accident, u still need it. U never know what will happen. It's just the way of the world. U can spend Money and get another S3 off of Craigslist and risk something being wrong with it, possibly previously damaged or bad esn etc. and then losing your Money and never being able to get it back. Then you're stuck with a Galaxy S3 paper weight. Insurance on your cell phone is a good investment because you at least rest comfortably knowing if something happens and your cell phone gets messed up that you will have another one almost hassle free in 2-3 days. If you think insurance is a waste, don't buy it and get into an accident with your brand new car and you'll wish you had it. Same concept with a cell phone if you have a nice or expensive one.

jeeplj8

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I still disagree. It would be cheaper to get another line on your account for 15 a month and a new S3. I like my odds on CL better than my odds of ever getting the value of Sprint TEP.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I still disagree. It would be cheaper to get another line on your account for 15 a month and a new S3. I like my odds on CL better than my odds of ever getting the value of Sprint TEP.

Get another line and another S3 and What will u do with the line that the damaged or lost phone was on? You'll be paying for 2 lines but only have one phone? To each their own.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I've never bought insurance. I'm pretty careful with my devices, but there are people who just drop it all the time and do pretty stupid things to their phone. Insurance might be in those cases, worth it.

Please make sure you come back and let us know when you drop your phone and shatter the screen before the new year. :p

duddy23b

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
So I guess it can be said that we can add another item to the old saying 'In life two things you can look forward to paying taxes and death and now the third is insurance

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
So I guess it can be said that we can add another item to the old saying 'In life two things you can look forward to paying taxes and death and now the third is insurance

Lmao yep! I would definitely agree.

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site

I used to be against insurance based on the fact that I was always careful with my phone and used a case. Also publications like Consumer Reports always recomended skipping the insurance because it was a waste of money. But around this time last year I dropped my Evo 4G on the icey pavement and cracked the front glass. It still worked but it was an eyesore. Plus a month later the power jack started going bad, so by the time I was eligible to upgrade, my poor Evo was almost on life support.

When I got my SIII this past June I got the Geek Squad plan. It's $9.00 a month and pretty much covers all issues except theft and there is no deductible. I figured that if I'm going to have this phone for 2 years, have it with me and use it everyday, plus I haven't had a landline for several years it was worth it. Plus the SIII isn't exactly the most rugged phone out there so why not.

I probably won't keep it through my entire contract but at least through 2013 I'll have it. That's the issue with insurance, you keep paying the monthly bill for your car, home etc., and you may never need to use it. But in that rare time when something does happen you're glad you have it.

Ytsejamer1

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Please make sure you come back and let us know when you drop your phone and shatter the screen before the new year. :p
I know right...trust me, I definitely thought of that before hitting 'Post Quick Reply'. :) As for the insurance, my EVO 4G is the insurance I'm comfortable with for right now.

HamRadioNut

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't really like the insurance plan Sprint has because in most cases if something happens to your phone they will replace it alright, but with a refurb...I didn't purchase a refurb to start with so I feel like the insurance should replace it with a new one. Also I have just upgraded my two phones on my account from the Original Evo4g to the GS3. When I first go the Evo4g, my wife wanted the Samsung Intercept which was a piece of trash and only lasted a year, By that time you could get a NEW Evo4g online for around $230.00, yes this is a little more than a $100.00 deductible but surely not $600.00 for her new phone. I usualy keep my phones for the two year upgrade period and beyond and usualy by then the new stuff is out and my GS3 you will be able to fine for a small price. Yes I have to be careful for a while, but hey that's what Otter Boxes are far...

Just my opinion

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173