Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 50
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Phone Insurance

    As most of you know, sprint raised insurance rates on the GS3 to $11/month. On my last phone (EVO4g) i had insurance and had to use it because of a charging port issue. Im asking to see what most people think about insurance. I buy my phones when i can sign a contract for discounted phone prices ($50 GS3). i cant drop $600 on new phone. ive been researching 3rd party insurance and have found it for much less then sprint. some of the 3rd party insurance just covers damage some covers theft.

    1. Do you buy phone insurance?
    2. do you but it through sprint or through a 3rd party?
    3. what has your experiences been with 3rd party insurance?

    thanks in advance for helping me make my decision.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Phone Insurance

    I've never bought insurance. I'm pretty careful with my devices, but there are people who just drop it all the time and do pretty stupid things to their phone. Insurance might be in those cases, worth it.

    But normally speaking...I've heard too many stories of insurance getting sold as "IF ANYTHING happens, we'll replace it for free!!!!"... Then when something happened, the Sprint store gave the customer a hard time, charging them a deductible of a couple bills, then charging extra to get the info off of the old phone onto the new (to you...likely a refurb) one. A lot of times I've seen in person, the Sprint rep simply state that they're not going to fix it, but they'll sell a new phone for $500!!!! Eff that.
    Biggnaa20 likes this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Phone Insurance

    I do the TEP because of two things:
    Water damage
    Theft

    I bought my phone at Radio Shack and their insurance does not offer protection for those two things.
    Squaretrade does not offer protection in case of theft.

    TEP is pricey, but even over the course of 20 months (the earliest an upgrade is offered) it is still cheaper than $500 or more you'd spend to replace it without coverage.

    I guess what it really comes down to is...are you a gamblin' man? I'm careful with my phones and haven't had to use insurance in years...but everyone has that moment - be it getting mugged, tripping and falling into a puddle, a case of "butterfingers" - when it makes it all worth it.
    Ntchwaidumela and ubigred like this.
  4. #4  
    Super Dave426's Avatar

    Posts
    228 Posts
    ROM
    MOAR 9

    Default Re: Phone Insurance

    I insured 3 G3s through , $99 for 2 years and the phones are covered for all kinds of mishaps. Looks to be 3 claims for the 2 years with a deductible, but at least they are covered.
    Galaxy S3 running MOAR Official v9.0. 50+ Mods Morphology 3.9.14

    David
    Thanked by:
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Phone Insurance

    I had my gs3 insurance through geek squad, bought the phone in Best Buys. Is 10$ a month and you also get a free battery replacement.
    I had a problem with my phone disconnecting from the wifi, took it back, and got a loaner phone, my replacement came the next business day. No complaints so far.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by 2:
    Ezduzit, Ambro75 and Golfdriver97 like this.
  6. #6  
    lyingfromyou's Avatar

    Posts
    190 Posts
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid Smooth 4.2.2/Lean

    Default Re: Phone Insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by Herduc View Post
    I had my gs3 insurance through geek squad, bought the phone in Best Buys. Is 10$ a month and you also get a free battery replacement.
    I had a problem with my phone disconnecting from the wifi, took it back, and got a loaner phone, my replacement came the next business day. No complaints so far.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    I have that insurance also, it's only $2.00 more than sprint a month. We usually keep the insurance on until the phone gets close to it's eol! (or for a little over a year) The only thing it doesn't cover is theft... The good is that there is no deductable! People don't always have $150.00 when they smash up their handsets...
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Phone Insurance

    I too have TEP and yes I don't like the fact that despite paying a monthly fee that equals roughly $132 a year, $11 a month you still have to pay a deductible and be subjected to questions as to how damaged happened or if it was sabotaged. and then get a refurbished phone despite the fact that there are thousands who have TEP insurance which in my book should eliminate the need for a refurb phone or the deductible or both considering the monies charged earn interest and are nuisance fees.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Phone Insurance

    I pay Verizon for insurance because even us super careful folks never can be too sure something won't happen. It extends the manufacturer's warranty I think about extra year and covers damage, lost or stolen. It's worth it to me because I'm a person that will never pay full price for a cellphone, even if it's after I lost mine. I say keep it or get it if u don't already have it.

    My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Phone Insurance

    I also have the phone insurance through BB...I paid up front so it only comes out to $168 or $7 per month. There is no deductible and they cover everything except loss and theft. My only concern is if BB is going to be in business in the next two years...
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Phone Insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by fetterjohn View Post
    I also have the phone insurance through BB...I paid up front so it only comes out to $168 or $7 per month. There is no deductible and they cover everything except loss and theft. My only concern is if BB is going to be in business in the next two years...
    I dont think best buy is going out of business anytime soon. You're good.

    My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Phone Insurance

    I simply cannot see the economic advantage of the insurance. The cost for two years is $222, and then you still have to pay a deductible of 150 or 200. For that money you could simply buy another GS3 of CL.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Phone Insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
    I simply cannot see the economic advantage of the insurance. The cost for two years is $222, and then you still have to pay a deductible of 150 or 200. For that money you could simply buy another GS3 of CL.
    $220 + $150 to $200 deductible is still less than a brand new S3 w/o contract fresh out the box at any carrier's store. You're paying for piece of mind knowing that the normal everyday occurrences that may happen to our cell phones that we are safe. U pay car insurance all year and if u get into an accident, u still gotta pay a deductible for ur car to get fixed. Even if u never get in an accident, u still need it. U never know what will happen. It's just the way of the world. U can spend Money and get another S3 off of Craigslist and risk something being wrong with it, possibly previously damaged or bad esn etc. and then losing your Money and never being able to get it back. Then you're stuck with a Galaxy S3 paper weight. Insurance on your cell phone is a good investment because you at least rest comfortably knowing if something happens and your cell phone gets messed up that you will have another one almost hassle free in 2-3 days. If you think insurance is a waste, don't buy it and get into an accident with your brand new car and you'll wish you had it. Same concept with a cell phone if you have a nice or expensive one.

    My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Phone Insurance

    I still disagree. It would be cheaper to get another line on your account for 15 a month and a new S3. I like my odds on CL better than my odds of ever getting the value of Sprint TEP.
    codeda likes this.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Phone Insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
    I still disagree. It would be cheaper to get another line on your account for 15 a month and a new S3. I like my odds on CL better than my odds of ever getting the value of Sprint TEP.
    Get another line and another S3 and What will u do with the line that the damaged or lost phone was on? You'll be paying for 2 lines but only have one phone? To each their own.

    My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Phone Insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by Ytsejamer1 View Post
    I've never bought insurance. I'm pretty careful with my devices, but there are people who just drop it all the time and do pretty stupid things to their phone. Insurance might be in those cases, worth it.
    Please make sure you come back and let us know when you drop your phone and shatter the screen before the new year.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Phone Insurance

    So I guess it can be said that we can add another item to the old saying 'In life two things you can look forward to paying taxes and death and now the third is insurance
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Phone Insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by duddy23b View Post
    So I guess it can be said that we can add another item to the old saying 'In life two things you can look forward to paying taxes and death and now the third is insurance
    Lmao yep! I would definitely agree.

    My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Phone Insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by Herduc View Post
    I had my gs3 insurance through geek squad, bought the phone in Best Buys. Is 10$ a month and you also get a free battery replacement.
    I had a problem with my phone disconnecting from the wifi, took it back, and got a loaner phone, my replacement came the next business day. No complaints so far.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

    I used to be against insurance based on the fact that I was always careful with my phone and used a case. Also publications like Consumer Reports always recomended skipping the insurance because it was a waste of money. But around this time last year I dropped my Evo 4G on the icey pavement and cracked the front glass. It still worked but it was an eyesore. Plus a month later the power jack started going bad, so by the time I was eligible to upgrade, my poor Evo was almost on life support.

    When I got my SIII this past June I got the Geek Squad plan. It's $9.00 a month and pretty much covers all issues except theft and there is no deductible. I figured that if I'm going to have this phone for 2 years, have it with me and use it everyday, plus I haven't had a landline for several years it was worth it. Plus the SIII isn't exactly the most rugged phone out there so why not.

    I probably won't keep it through my entire contract but at least through 2013 I'll have it. That's the issue with insurance, you keep paying the monthly bill for your car, home etc., and you may never need to use it. But in that rare time when something does happen you're glad you have it.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Phone Insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Please make sure you come back and let us know when you drop your phone and shatter the screen before the new year.
    I know right...trust me, I definitely thought of that before hitting 'Post Quick Reply'. As for the insurance, my EVO 4G is the insurance I'm comfortable with for right now.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Phone Insurance

    I don't really like the insurance plan Sprint has because in most cases if something happens to your phone they will replace it alright, but with a refurb...I didn't purchase a refurb to start with so I feel like the insurance should replace it with a new one. Also I have just upgraded my two phones on my account from the Original Evo4g to the GS3. When I first go the Evo4g, my wife wanted the Samsung Intercept which was a piece of trash and only lasted a year, By that time you could get a NEW Evo4g online for around $230.00, yes this is a little more than a $100.00 deductible but surely not $600.00 for her new phone. I usualy keep my phones for the two year upgrade period and beyond and usualy by then the new stuff is out and my GS3 you will be able to fine for a small price. Yes I have to be careful for a while, but hey that's what Otter Boxes are far...

    Just my opinion
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Phone Insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by HamRadioNut View Post
    Yes I have to be careful for a while, but hey that's what Otter Boxes are far...
    Until some thug makes off with your $600 phone in its $40 Otterbox case.... :-P
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Phone Insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by makaroni View Post
    $220 + $150 to $200 deductible is still less than a brand new S3 w/o contract fresh out the box at any carrier's store.
    True, but after a year or so there should be plenty of used GS3's available. If my GS3 dies after a year I'll replace it with something used, not a brand new one at $600.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

    If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

    Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Phone Insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by makaroni View Post
    Get another line and another S3 and What will u do with the line that the damaged or lost phone was on? You'll be paying for 2 lines but only have one phone? To each their own.

    My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch
    You call Sprint and have them move the new S3 to his first original line. I do it all the time. Then, he can purchase a phone from somewhere like ebay and put it on his second line. Now if he loses or breaks his S3 he can move the phone from ebay to his first line and never be without a phone. Also, now he has 2 lines with upgrade paths at different intervals to get a new phone.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Phone Insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by HamRadioNut View Post
    I don't really like the insurance plan Sprint has because in most cases if something happens to your phone they will replace it alright, but with a refurb...I didn't purchase a refurb to start with so I feel like the insurance should replace it with a new one. Also I have just upgraded my two phones on my account from the Original Evo4g to the GS3. When I first go the Evo4g, my wife wanted the Samsung Intercept which was a piece of trash and only lasted a year, By that time you could get a NEW Evo4g online for around $230.00, yes this is a little more than a $100.00 deductible but surely not $600.00 for her new phone. I usualy keep my phones for the two year upgrade period and beyond and usualy by then the new stuff is out and my GS3 you will be able to fine for a small price. Yes I have to be careful for a while, but hey that's what Otter Boxes are far...

    Just my opinion
    I agree. We PAY for this insurance so we should get a "new", "in the box" phone no matter the circumstances....even if it's still under warranty by the manufacturer. The only way I feel someone should get a refurb is when they have no insurance and it breaks during the warranty period. But breaks by natural means = new phone. Breaks by misuse = refurb, but with some sort of deductible.

    But on the other hand, we pay for car insurance and if your car get's smacked up but not totaled, they will only fix what was damaged. Sometimes it's worse that what it originally was. I just went through this on Nov. 4th. I got hit in a parking lot that caused 2600 bucks in damage to my 2001 Tundra and his insurance was willing to fix it, but only to effected areas. Now, the paint doesn't match the rest of the truck. Looks like crap. I fought with them and got nowhere. I called some lawyers and they greeted me with laughter so I'm stuck with what I got.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Phone Insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    True, but after a year or so there should be plenty of used GS3's available. If my GS3 dies after a year I'll replace it with something used, not a brand new one at $600.
    I can dig it but something can happen to your phone b4 a year. Just saying.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gator352 View Post
    You call Sprint and have them move the new S3 to his first original line. I do it all the time. Then, he can purchase a phone from somewhere like ebay and put it on his second line. Now if he loses or breaks his S3 he can move the phone from ebay to his first line and never be without a phone. Also, now he has 2 lines with upgrade paths at different intervals to get a new phone.
    That sounds like too much work and sounds like you'll be paying a bill for no reason



    My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Third Party Phone Insurance
    By droidX1991 in forum Verizon Fascinate
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-04-2012, 11:43 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-14-2012, 09:17 PM
  3. Phone insurance nightmare
    By jding88 in forum Droid Bionic
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-06-2011, 11:42 PM
  4. verizon phone insurance
    By ktime07 in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-27-2011, 08:41 AM
  5. Phone Insurance
    By JetDr330 in forum Verizon HTC Thunderbolt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-01-2011, 09:44 PM

Posting Permissions

B