BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Screenshot_2012-12-13-23-51-52.png

Screenshot_2012-12-23-00-31-29.png

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I think in most places bell mobility is 2x2 on 10+10 MHz, but in a few places it is deployed on 15+15 MHz, which is presently the fastest LTE carrier in North America as a whole (US carriers presently top out at 2x2 on 10+10, and sprint is 2x2 on 5+5). This will likely change at some point.

I have to correct myself. Rogers in Canada at 2600 Mhz is deployed on 20+20 Mhz with 2x2 MIMO. This would be about as fast as LTE can get (aside from a hypothetical 4x4 MIMO deployment, which I don't think exists anywhere except labs for LTE). Rogers AWS LTE seems to be all 10+10 and 2x2 MIMO. If you have an iPhone in Canada you're limited to US-like LTE performance. If you have a phone that can operate on the 2600 MHz band you may have a higher potential speed depending on which phone you have.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
People have bashed sprint all the time but I've said all along. Sprint first came out with wimax which was the first ever 4g network... In the long run a failure which it took them long enough to learn from. The new LTE system they are building is brand new and when completed will be the fastest and most dependable network available.. Its built for the long haul..

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1356671184809.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356671184809.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 57

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I have to correct myself. Rogers in Canada at 2600 Mhz is deployed on 20+20 Mhz with 2x2 MIMO. This would be about as fast as LTE can get (aside from a hypothetical 4x4 MIMO deployment, which I don't think exists anywhere except labs for LTE). Rogers AWS LTE seems to be all 10+10 and 2x2 MIMO. If you have an iPhone in Canada you're limited to US-like LTE performance. If you have a phone that can operate on the 2600 MHz band you may have a higher potential speed depending on which phone you have.

Which it is where Clear Wire comes in. It is the same frequencies in Wimax that will be switched over to LTE-TDD with a 20 mhz carriers next year.
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Howie Dalton

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
What Sprint is doing (and this is purely hear-say) is upgrading there towers to switch seamlessly between basic, 3g and LTE coverage depending on which tower you connect to. By doing this you will experience a more dependable network like ATT's or Verizons. Granted they are a bit late to the ball game but as they say "better late than never." I will be much happier receiving unlimited data when Sprint finally goes wide-spread with their LTE. But I have to say. I bought the Evo 4G when it first came out and was disappointed that there was no 4g coverage anywhere near me. I live in STL and have seen 4g only once and it showed up and left as quick as it came. So I got the S3, Love the phone but, I am a cable technician and I am required to use my phone to enter data for the company. And I am frequently losing signal or have a spotty and slow connection in some area's. Hell one day It said I had 4 bars and my browser kept saying no connection. I'm sure they were working on their networks in that area. I've been a Sprint customer for a long time. And will continue to be one. It doesn't matter if you finish first in the race. It matters that you finish the race period. And by sprint taking their time and watching what the other carriers are doing is actually a wise decision. This has been a proven strategy for other companies as well, Take Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft for instance. When Sega released the DreamCast it was awesome. But the other three sat back and built off of Sega's Ideas and came out with the best three gaming consoles ever imagined. That is why there hasn't been a new system since 2005 when the Xbox 360 was released. That is until Recently when Nintendo unveiled their Wii U console.

I know this isn't a video game website, I used that scenario as an example of the point I was trying to get across.

-IRON-

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
LTE Indianapolis

ive been able to break 30 down sometimes and 20 all the time in indy.
i was at the autoshow today inside the convention center and was getting 3g at 1.5 to 2.5mbts down all day. that was supprising being inside. they must have boosters or something inside.

DWR_31

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Sprint 4GLTE in Houston Texas.
God I love this!

Stock Sprint GSIII lover!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357151672991.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357151672991.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 120

DWR_31

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
If you're in the Westhimer area, you are going to get slower speeds. Too many Sprint LTE phones in one area.

Unlimited data + LTE = (People leaving Verizon & AT&T for Sprint)

Oh just re-read your location. That tower is not fully upgraded yet.

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Sorry it looked like lte speeds. Either way we only quote our unlimited data because people usually come in and brag about how fast they are compared to Sprint's network... But sprint is going for being the fastest and they couldn't even if they tried in my opinion.

Sprint has always been know for their slow data speeds. Any carrier can beat them usually so.. It's not a surprise. However we get people that are always for some reason shocked that we only get "decent" speeds as they call them. And that's when we say we'll its fully unlimited so.. That's the trade off. I get some less speed for pure unlimited with no overages. And I'll take that because nothing you do on your phone will require more than 10Mbit. The song you play versus what I play won't play any faster.. It will be the same with 10+.

The only time you get a difference is downloading actual files. Then I agree a 50Mbit would be nice.. It would do it in way less time. But that's really it.

So yeah just wanted to explain why we quote the unlimited.. That's our tradeoff for tons of Speed. And also... We can brag about here it is the Sprint forum lol.. I could see your argument if I ran over to the att section and made a post saying stuff like "oh you guys are faster but im unlimited.. Ha!"... But we don't. We only quote it here because for some reason people come to the Sprint section and bash us.. Which has always confused me.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

Just to add to this. I recently left Sprint for the fact that we don't get 4G coverage here and the speeds were unbearably slow. At work, at home, and anywhere between... I chose to switch to T mobile. Not only is it fast, it's also unlimited. I also pay much less with T mobile than I did with Sprint.
For example, my two lines on Sprint cost approx 150-160. My T mobile bill is barely over 100 dollars. This is comparing apples to apples as well. (well, considering sprint doesn't offer a "bring your own phone" plan like T mobile does) Sprint is limiting themselves in so many ways. Let me be clear, this is not prepaid. I get roaming data, etc. Check out T mobiles Value Plan for yourself.
I've had a great experience and never looked back. Rarely am I out of a 4G area with T mobile, and when I am, my speeds are still faster than Sprints 3G speeds. :) Even if Sprint offered 4G in my area 10/mb wouldn't make me want to pay an extra 50/month (600/year) to them in my total bill. Sprint is a ripoff. Add that to the benefit of using the phone of your choice and it makes it very difficult to understand why anyone would choose Sprint still...
I'm not promoting T mobile as much as I am hoping to open someone/everyone's eyes to the disservice that Sprint is doing.

/sprint rant in a speed comparison thread.

Thanks for letting me post my thoughts in your thread OP. :D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

DWR_31

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I have to say this.
You're in a LTE thread, not a 3G HSPA+ thread.
Come back when you have something besides "faux 4G".

Just to be clear, my wife has the same plan on her Sensation 4G, but the best download speeds she gets its around 8Mb down.
I was getting more than that on Wimax! And yes I was a Tmobile customer until the day after I read the Android Central article about Tmobile throttling customers. I was throttled the next day and left Tmobile soon after.

Your unlimited plan is the direct result of Tmobile throttling and then losing hundreds of thousands of customers.

In closing, your" faux 4G" phone won't really matter whenever Tmo decides to turn on real LTE.

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I have to say this.
You're in a LTE thread, not a 3G HSPA+ thread.
Come back when you have something besides "faux 4G".

Just to be clear, my wife has the same plan on her Sensation 4G, but the best download speeds she gets its around 8Mb down.
I was getting more than that on Wimax! And yes I was a Tmobile customer until the day after I read the Android Central article about Tmobile throttling customers. I was throttled the next day and left Tmobile soon after.

Your unlimited plan is the direct result of Tmobile throttling and then losing hundreds of thousands of customers.

In closing, your" faux 4G" phone won't really matter whenever Tmo decides to turn on real LTE.

I will reiterate just to clear something up. 10mbps is not worth 50/month. I don't know how anyone can justify that 25/mbps is FAR greater than 15/mbps. It's almost unnoticeable during normal cell phone use.
And I will stick with my hspa+ because it's great. Sprint dropped the ball too many times and made too many broken promises. I bet you enjoy paying that extra 10/month/line "premium charge", huh?
To summarize, the speed difference is not significant enough to make a comparison. My plan is cheaper than overpriced sprint. Sprint doesn't offer 4G in this area. If you don't have 4G, you're lucky to get 60kbps... I get better than that while roaming on 2G with T mobile. There seems there is no downside to my scenario, however for sprint users, the benefit doesn't seem to outweigh the costs for me. Call it "faux g" all you want. I don't mind. I'm enjoying my great high speed mobile Internet while laughing to the bank!! :D:D:D:D

EDIT: You seem to be unclear about what "unlimited" means from my previous post. I do in fact get unlimited 4G data at 100/month. Again, I will recommend looking up the Tmobile value plan. They also offer it as a normal plan where you can get a subsidized phone if you so choose. :)
In other words, I'll never be throttled.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I will reiterate just to clear something up. 10mbps is not worth 50/month. I don't know how anyone can justify that 25/mbps is FAR greater than 15/mbps. It's almost unnoticeable during normal cell phone use.
And I will stick with my hspa+ because it's great. Sprint dropped the ball too many times and made too many broken promises. I bet you enjoy paying that extra 10/month/line "premium charge", huh?
To summarize, the speed difference is not significant enough to make a comparison. My plan is cheaper than overpriced sprint. Sprint doesn't offer 4G in this area. If you don't have 4G, you're lucky to get 60kbps... I get better than that while roaming on 2G with T mobile. There seems there is no downside to my scenario, however for sprint users, the benefit doesn't seem to outweigh the costs for me. Call it "faux g" all you want. I don't mind. I'm enjoying my great high speed mobile Internet while laughing to the bank!! :D:D:D:D

EDIT: You seem to be unclear about what "unlimited" means from my previous post. I do in fact get unlimited 4G data at 100/month. Again, I will recommend looking up the Tmobile value plan. They also offer it as a normal plan where you can get a subsidized phone if you so choose. :)
In other words, I'll never be throttled.

He was just saying your unlimited 4g (which is 3g HSPA+) was due to T Mobile throttling people so they took a page out of Sprint's book to attract customers.

Also I can see your point in T Mobile being cheaper. I pay 90 with Sprint but I don't find that bad at all. Plus I'm in a contract... And while yeah 3g ain't good I will have LTE coverage here fully soon. It's spotty at the moment but if you live where I do and expect them to pepper the place fast... You on some nice pills or something :D (I live in Jacksonville... Huge city land mass wise so alot to cover.)

Either way I'll have LTE soon. My main catch is unlimited and I'm happy. Even when i had att unlimited 3g I was happy.. I could do what I wanted and use tons of data without worry.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh and when I get LTE it ain't bad.. Sprint is trying.

I just want to be able to use my Internet and not worry about overages.. So close :).

Also I only care about LTE at work.. Every where else I have wifi lol... Well I have wifi at work but half the apps don't work due to ports. Gah! :p

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357603875322.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357603875322.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 76
  • uploadfromtaptalk1357603945183.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357603945183.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 78

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
He was just saying your unlimited 4g (which is 3g HSPA+) was due to T Mobile throttling people so they took a page out of Sprint's book to attract customers.

Also I can see your point in T Mobile being cheaper. I pay 90 with Sprint but I don't find that bad at all. Plus I'm in a contract... And while yeah 3g ain't good I will have LTE coverage here fully soon. It's spotty at the moment but if you live where I do and expect them to pepper the place fast... You on some nice pills or something :D (I live in Jacksonville... Huge city land mass wise so alot to cover.)

Either way I'll have LTE soon. My main catch is unlimited and I'm happy. Even when i had att unlimited 3g I was happy.. I could do what I wanted and use tons of data without worry.

Right right. I'm paying 100/month for two lines. If you are paying less than that for two lines with sprint, then it may be best to stick it out until you get LTE... However, for most, it's not financially beneficial to be with sprint...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Right right. I'm paying 100/month for two lines. If you are paying less than that for two lines with sprint, then it may be best to stick it out until you get LTE... However, for most, it's not financially beneficial to be with sprint...

I am on an individual plan... Majority of places I get screwed. Family plans ALWAYS get the best deals when it comes to cell plans.

Also I agree. A fat ETF fee isn't financially feasible for me.. So.. Staying put ;)

DWR_31

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

You forgot about taxes.
Oh yeah, Tmobile is getting rid of the normal contract subsidies on phones. They're going straight to "Value Plans" for all. This means on your next upgrade if you aren't already, you'll have that 20 month finance charge added to your bill.

So 2 lines for $49.99 each +taxes, and roughly $15 to $20 extra per line for having to finance your new phones.

Enjoy that $49.99 each line. Don't you feel bad having to pay full price for a new phone just to keep $49.99+tax price point?

UPDATE :
I'm on 3G most of the time by choice. I only use 4GLTE for streaming, downloading, and browsing.

AngelMayLaugh

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering, have any of you ever tried calling sprint and guilt-tripping them into getting a discount or something? I mean you purchased a 4G LTE phone and pay premium data but don't even receive it. It feels like something my mom would do if she knew anything about phones, and she'd probably get it to work, being a bit of an angry person.

DWR_31

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I can't do that. I would have to go 40 to 50 miles from home to not have 4GLTE coverage.