Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default SIII Sprint 4G LTE Speed

I've had 4G at work (LAX) for a little while now and have been impressed. Now I have it at home in Torrance, CA and ran a test to see how fast it is. I know it's new and the more people who start using it will slow it down. I just want to see other Sprint customers' results.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SIII Sprint 4G LTE Speed-uploadfromtaptalk1356170559491.jpg  

Global Posts
    6,876 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations

Default Re: SIII Sprint 4G LTE Speed

Hate to rain on your parade.... I'm sure it's better than what you're used to, but here's one for you. BTW it's never this fast consistently, I average 25-30 most of the time.

It almost looks like your WiFi icon is there beside the signal bars?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SIII Sprint 4G LTE Speed-screenshot_2012-10-23-11-37-51.png  
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I had my wifi on when I posted. Want to attach this to show I was 4G for the test.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SIII Sprint 4G LTE Speed-uploadfromtaptalk1356170810826.jpg  
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Wow that is great! Ya it is a lot better than what I'm used to. I'm only making this post to compare. I want to see what other Sprint customers are getting.

Ok - time for a dumb question:
    I noticed that your icon actually says "LTE" at the top of the screen. If/when I travel to an LTE area, I just see an icon that says "4G". My speeds run around 8-15 Mbps. Am I doing something wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Hate to rain on your parade.... I'm sure it's better than what you're used to, but here's one for you. BTW it's never this fast consistently, I average 25-30 most of the time.

It almost looks like your WiFi icon is there beside the signal bars?
    That looks like ATT.. Which is fast no doubt but capped. Either capped where you pay more once you go over or you are grandfathered on their "unlimited" and get throttled after 5GB. But they will always be faster so not sure why the brag post?

Either way 10 or more Mbit on a phone should be pretty much good for anything anyone has to do with a phone.

Jacksonville fl is getting LTE. I can't wait till its widespread.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SIII Sprint 4G LTE Speed-uploadfromtaptalk1356203319692.jpg  
    Thanked by:
    ladyc0524 likes this.

Max 34 down 4G LTE Indianapolis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SIII Sprint 4G LTE Speed-screenshot_2012-12-22-14-26-34.png  

Global Posts
    6,876 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    That looks like ATT.. Which is fast no doubt but capped. Either capped where you pay more once you go over or you are grandfathered on their "unlimited" and get throttled after 5GB. But they will always be faster so not sure why the brag post?

Either way 10 or more Mbit on a phone should be pretty much good for anything anyone has to do with a phone.

Jacksonville fl is getting LTE. I can't wait till its widespread.

No, it's Bell Mobility, here in Calgary Alberta....where the test ran from. I'm pretty sure it isn't capped up here.....they would LOVE me to go over my 12GB/month that I have shared between two phones so I can pay $10/MB....or $100/GB if you will.

Call it me being genuinely surprised that that is what is offered as LTE....I get those speeds when I lose LTE signal and get bumped down to H+....

I can tell the difference between my H+ speeds and LTE speeds. I can usually tell without looking when I'm not on H+...whether you want to believe 10Mbps is "fast enough" or not. Webpage loads are dead giveaways for me.

@JihadJoe it could be a carrier network thing...I can't say for sure. They advertise Bell Mobility as Canada's Fastest LTE network....whether that's true or not...who knows

Can't say it's a whole lot of fun listening to you guys (generalizing people on this site) "brag" about your unlimited data all the time either Streaming music all day every day, isn't an option for me in my work truck with no WiFi anywhere remotely close. It doesn't really matter that much...I have 16GB of music on at any given time.

There are carriers here that do offer unlimited voice/data plans and for quite a bit cheaper, but it only works if you are under their limited coverage inside city limits...and that's a deal breaker for me....I leave the city quite a bit and so I'm forced to stick with one of the "Big Three".

I was in Reading, MA yesterday with some of my old coworkers...they were testing speeds and I figured I'd give it a go. I averaged 60ms ping time, 26mbps down, 15 mbps up. That was outstanding...and then a few hours later, I was back in southern NH rockin' a 40kbps connection.

Quote Originally Posted by JihadJoe View Post
    Ok - time for a dumb question:
    I noticed that your icon actually says "LTE" at the top of the screen. If/when I travel to an LTE area, I just see an icon that says "4G". My speeds run around 8-15 Mbps. Am I doing something wrong?
    I have the exact same question

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by Rcrdude64 View Post

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    No. He is on a different carrier so his icon is different. Sprint's LTE is displayed as 4g.

Thanked by:

Can't say it's a whole lot of fun listening to you guys (generalizing people on this site) "brag" about your unlimited data all the time either Streaming music all day every day, isn't an option for me in my work truck with no WiFi anywhere remotely close. It doesn't really matter that much...I have 16GB of music on at any given time.
    Sorry it looked like lte speeds. Either way we only quote our unlimited data because people usually come in and brag about how fast they are compared to Sprint's network... But sprint is going for being the fastest and they couldn't even if they tried in my opinion.

Sprint has always been know for their slow data speeds. Any carrier can beat them usually so.. It's not a surprise. However we get people that are always for some reason shocked that we only get "decent" speeds as they call them. And that's when we say we'll its fully unlimited so.. That's the trade off. I get some less speed for pure unlimited with no overages. And I'll take that because nothing you do on your phone will require more than 10Mbit. The song you play versus what I play won't play any faster.. It will be the same with 10+.

The only time you get a difference is downloading actual files. Then I agree a 50Mbit would be nice.. It would do it in way less time. But that's really it.

So yeah just wanted to explain why we quote the unlimited.. That's our tradeoff for tons of Speed. And also... We can brag about here it is the Sprint forum lol.. I could see your argument if I ran over to the att section and made a post saying stuff like "oh you guys are faster but im unlimited.. Ha!"... But we don't. We only quote it here because for some reason people come to the Sprint section and bash us.. Which has always confused me.

Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Lol I get about 30mb down lol on sprint. I have the best of both good speed and unlimited :beer:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Patrick View Post
    I've had 4G at work (LAX) for a little while now and have been impressed. Now I have it at home in Torrance, CA and ran a test to see how fast it is. I know it's new and the more people who start using it will slow it down. I just want to see other Sprint customers' results.

I've never seen faster than 12mbps down in Chicago. Once I hit 20 in Boston.

These are all with Wi-Fi off...

Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Quote Originally Posted by Adam G View Post
    I've never seen faster than 12mbps down in Chicago. Once I hit 20 in Boston.
    Really?? I hit 20 multiple times

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Rcrdude64 View Post

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Sprint phones only have 3g or 4g icons. If your Sprint phone says 4g then it is lte. Sprint gs3 doesn't pickup cdma 4g.

AT&T phones pick up 3g, 4g and lte.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Thanked by:

No, it's Bell Mobility, here in Calgary Alberta....where the test ran from. I'm pretty sure it isn't capped up here.....they would LOVE me to go over my 12GB/month that I have shared between two phones so I can pay $10/MB....or $100/GB if you will.

Call it me being genuinely surprised that that is what is offered as LTE....I get those speeds when I lose LTE signal and get bumped down to H+....

I can tell the difference between my H+ speeds and LTE speeds. I can usually tell without looking when I'm not on H+...whether you want to believe 10Mbps is "fast enough" or not. Webpage loads are dead giveaways for me.

@JihadJoe it could be a carrier network thing...I can't say for sure. They advertise Bell Mobility as Canada's Fastest LTE network....whether that's true or not...who knows

There are carriers here that do offer unlimited voice/data plans and for quite a bit cheaper, but it only works if you are under their limited coverage inside city limits...and that's a deal breaker for me....I leave the city quite a bit and so I'm forced to stick with one of the "Big Three".
    I think in most places bell mobility is 2x2 on 10+10 MHz, but in a few places it is deployed on 15+15 MHz, which is presently the fastest LTE carrier in North America as a whole (US carriers presently top out at 2x2 on 10+10, and sprint is 2x2 on 5+5). This will likely change at some point.

LTE can be deployed in as little as 1.4 MHz SISO, by the way, which would be considerably slower than almost any HSPA+ network there is. The technology itself is still LTE, just not using as much spectrum.

LTE Indianapolis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SIII Sprint 4G LTE Speed-screenshot_2012-12-22-14-26-34.png  

Quote Originally Posted by valeuche View Post
    I think in most places bell mobility is 2x2 on 10+10 MHz, but in a few places it is deployed on 15+15 MHz, which is presently the fastest LTE carrier in North America as a whole (US carriers presently top out at 2x2 on 10+10, and sprint is 2x2 on 5+5). This will likely change at some point.
    I have to correct myself. Rogers in Canada at 2600 Mhz is deployed on 20+20 Mhz with 2x2 MIMO. This would be about as fast as LTE can get (aside from a hypothetical 4x4 MIMO deployment, which I don't think exists anywhere except labs for LTE). Rogers AWS LTE seems to be all 10+10 and 2x2 MIMO. If you have an iPhone in Canada you're limited to US-like LTE performance. If you have a phone that can operate on the 2600 MHz band you may have a higher potential speed depending on which phone you have.

People have bashed sprint all the time but I've said all along. Sprint first came out with wimax which was the first ever 4g network... In the long run a failure which it took them long enough to learn from. The new LTE system they are building is brand new and when completed will be the fastest and most dependable network available.. Its built for the long haul..

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SIII Sprint 4G LTE Speed-uploadfromtaptalk1356671184809.jpg  

Global Posts
    1,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB

Quote Originally Posted by valeuche View Post
    I have to correct myself. Rogers in Canada at 2600 Mhz is deployed on 20+20 Mhz with 2x2 MIMO. This would be about as fast as LTE can get (aside from a hypothetical 4x4 MIMO deployment, which I don't think exists anywhere except labs for LTE). Rogers AWS LTE seems to be all 10+10 and 2x2 MIMO. If you have an iPhone in Canada you're limited to US-like LTE performance. If you have a phone that can operate on the 2600 MHz band you may have a higher potential speed depending on which phone you have.
    Which it is where Clear Wire comes in. It is the same frequencies in Wimax that will be switched over to LTE-TDD with a 20 mhz carriers next year.
    3348b76f
    Thanked by:

What Sprint is doing (and this is purely hear-say) is upgrading there towers to switch seamlessly between basic, 3g and LTE coverage depending on which tower you connect to. By doing this you will experience a more dependable network like ATT's or Verizons. Granted they are a bit late to the ball game but as they say "better late than never." I will be much happier receiving unlimited data when Sprint finally goes wide-spread with their LTE. But I have to say. I bought the Evo 4G when it first came out and was disappointed that there was no 4g coverage anywhere near me. I live in STL and have seen 4g only once and it showed up and left as quick as it came. So I got the S3, Love the phone but, I am a cable technician and I am required to use my phone to enter data for the company. And I am frequently losing signal or have a spotty and slow connection in some area's. Hell one day It said I had 4 bars and my browser kept saying no connection. I'm sure they were working on their networks in that area. I've been a Sprint customer for a long time. And will continue to be one. It doesn't matter if you finish first in the race. It matters that you finish the race period. And by sprint taking their time and watching what the other carriers are doing is actually a wise decision. This has been a proven strategy for other companies as well, Take Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft for instance. When Sega released the DreamCast it was awesome. But the other three sat back and built off of Sega's Ideas and came out with the best three gaming consoles ever imagined. That is why there hasn't been a new system since 2005 when the Xbox 360 was released. That is until Recently when Nintendo unveiled their Wii U console.

I know this isn't a video game website, I used that scenario as an example of the point I was trying to get across.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast