1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    stock JB 4.1.1 / root

Default Mobile Network Signal / Mobile Data

Since I was staying home and using WiFi, I turned off my "Mobile Data" hoping to save some battery.

When I check my battery, it shows "Mobile Network Signal" on all the time. Does this mean the "Mobile Data" off option is not working or is "Mobile Network Signal" something different?

Retired Ambassador

Default Re: Mobile Network Signal / Mobile Data

Quote Originally Posted by tyrntlzrdking View Post
    Since I was staying home and using WiFi, I turned off my "Mobile Data" hoping to save some battery.

When I check my battery, it shows "Mobile Network Signal" on all the time. Does this mean the "Mobile Data" off option is not working or is "Mobile Network Signal" something different?

Are you turning off your data? Because it does look like it's on all the time.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    stock JB 4.1.1 / root

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    Are you turning off your data? Because it does look like it's on all the time.
    Yes. Mobile Data is turned off.
    I also notice (looking at the graph) the "Mobile Network Signal" seems to get better or stronger when I wake up the phone, turning WiFi on. (even though Mobile Data is off).
    Last edited by tyrntlzrdking; 12-22-2012 at 01:34 PM.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

ROM
    stock JB 4.1.1 / root

Does anyone else show Mobile Network Signal strength on the battery graph when Mobile Data is turned off?

I am going to guess that turning off Mobile Data, does not turn an antenna off, but only stops phone from using any mobile data.?

I always thought mobile network signal was just how many bars you had. Was I wrong?

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Ok, I always dismissed this as a flaw of my phone, but I am SO glad someone else is seeing this.. I run wifi about 90% of the time, and I of course shut off mobile data. For as long as I have wifi on, the mobile network signal is consistent, but when I switch off of wifi and go to 4G, the mobile network signal is intermittent at best, even though I never lose signal..
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Rcrdude64 View Post
    I always thought mobile network signal was just how many bars you had. Was I wrong?

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Sprint doesn't show bars for data signal strength. It just shows 3g with arrows for upload and download. The bars are for the phone signal only. Not data...
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif

OK....

The Mobile Network Signal showing constantly ON is your "cellular" radio...which shows your signal to make and receive calls. This has nothing to do with data as your wifi is handling that chore. Turning on wifi turns off your Mobile data. What your phone is showing is normal so your good to go.
    Last edited by Gator352; 12-23-2012 at 08:27 AM.

Global Posts
    198 Global Posts

Also guys, if you want to save a little more battery, airplane mode kills that cellular signal. And if you are like me, I use WiFi constantly at work so I put my phone in airplane mode and turn on WiFi, while using Google Voice to get my texts and calls.

Stock Sprint GSIII lover!