Hi guys! A little introduction to myself. Been an Android user since HTC EVO 4g, than moved on towards the LTE model and now currently using the S3. Wondering why I went from EVOlte to S3? I was trying something new other than HTC (plus I got the S3 for 100$. Sold my LTE for 200$ So win win?)

I have a simple question I couldn't figure out for the life of me - Texting (stock) notification. How do I disable the screen from lighting up upon text received? That really really bugs me =(
    Other than that I'm still getting used to Samsung version of Jelly Bean (which is nice so far) I had major issues when I updated my LTE to Jelly Bean, my Google Navigation wouldn't run more than 5 minutes before locking up. Major no no in my line of work.
    12-27-2012 08:29 PM
    Welcome to the gs3 forums. Hopefully you will get to like the gs3 as well as you did the htc phones.

As for the stock messenger app. I did away with the screen problem the easy way. I disabled the notifications in the stock app and switched to gosms. To me it was an easy choice as:
    1. I hate bubble style text messengers
    2. It is much more configurable
    3. I could set it up to just blink the notification light and play a notification sound.

As far as I know there is nothing you can do to stop the screen on with the stock messenger without rooting and installing a custom Rom. This may have changed as been a while since I looked into it. But since the bubble style sms is still present I haven't looked back.

If there is a way someone will post it. I just can't remember reading about a fix for it yet.
    12-27-2012 11:56 PM
    Thanks for confirming about the notification not being able to be disabled. I have used go sms before with my previous phone but did away with it since I has major issues.

1) texts being sent to the wrong people (major issue)
    2) text hanging or not being sent out
    12-28-2012 02:23 AM
    Thanks for confirming about the notification not being able to be disabled. I have used go sms before with my previous phone but did away with it since I has major issues.

1) texts being sent to the wrong people (major issue)
    2) text hanging or not being sent out
    I have not had any issues like that with gosms on the gs3. I did a couple times on my nexus s4g. So I really think it was the phone or a combination of the phone and gosms. But there are are other message apps such as handcent which are popular.
    12-28-2012 09:27 AM