Inaccessible OS due to ROM setting mistake

GRazor71

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Long story short, with above average ROM knowledge, and two previous successful flashes under my belt, I flashed Slimbean JB 4.2.1 Beta1 for my Sprint GS3 SPH-L710, and all was quite fine until I messed with menu/security/SIM PIN. Though I thought I was setting it for extra phone security, I actually implemented an unknownst-to-me feature that upon the following reboot, the phone requested a PUK code for a now-locked SIM card (my phone doesn't have a SIM card by the way).

After a long CS call to Sprint, including International Sprint, I was told to go to a local store. The short part of this story is that no one has been able to help. You see, since I don't have a SIM card, I have no ID to provide to Int Sprint for them to find a PUK code for me to enter. Although, I've had many troubles in doing so, I have since been able to reset the phone to stock factory settings; HOWEVER, this has NOT removed the PUK code screen, which prevents me from using the phone at all.

I am out of ideas of things to change, alter or fix to get rid of this issue. In a sense, although I can do anything with the phone - recovery, download, flashing - except actually use the OS, I would consider this phone as useless as if it were bricked at this point. Any ideas from out there would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I used ODIN to put everything back to stock. I was using CWM recovery before that.

TWRP recovery has a function that I am told is for situations like this. It has a function "format data". It is different than wiping data as it completely formats your data partition. CWM doesn't have this feature. I am guessing at this point you have nothing to lose. Here's what I would try.

1. Take your battery cover off remove the extsdcard
2. Flash Recovery.tar (link below) in odin (PDA Block). Be sure that you have auto reboot UN selected.
3. When reset comes up in the upper left block, unplug your device and pull the battery.
4. Reinstall the battery and boot directly into recovery. (It should be TWRP)
5. Choose the option to format data in the wipe menu.
6. When done, pull the battery again to turn it off.

Now try returning to stock with the directions and files from this thread.

TWRP - recovery.tar.md5

I have never used the format data in twrp so I haven't tried this but like you said, it may as well be bricked... Good Luck....

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering what format data was in twrp, my first time flashing a rom for my nexus, i used it and assumed that was the factory reset button, simular to cme's wipe data /factory reset

Sent from my SPH - L710 running Pac Man Rom 4.1.2

My notification bar >>>>>> yours

GRazor71

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I like TWRP, but unfortunately this, too, was unsuccessful at ridding me of the PUK screen upon OS entry. Wherever this thing is hiding at, it's hiding very well it seems.

GRazor71

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
No, I never had a SIM PIN - the SPH-L710 does not have a SIM card (as I now know). I thought I was entering it for the first time in settings, which is what caused this headache. The Slimbean ROM had such small fonts, I didn't notice the line notifying me I was entering incorrect pins before it was too late. I will try again... Thanks.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I am just throwing things against the wall here and do not have any great knowledge but there is a thread over in the thunderbolt area about losing the puk code that may help

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I am just throwing things against the wall here and do not have any great knowledge but there is a thread over in the thunderbolt area about losing the puk code that may help

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

Thanks, Any help on this is appreciated.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't agree more! No luck, I'm afraid, on this most recent attempt.

I don't think the solution in the thunderbolt forum is going to help. Their solution was to log into the Verizon website and your account and clear the code. This won't work in this case...

Did you mention this in the support thread where you downloaded the Rom and did they give you any ideas?

Check you pm's

GRazor71

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
The Thunderbolt threads do seem like a lost cause here. I am unable to post in the ROM support thread due to it being a developers thread - did post under Sprint GS3 Q&A forum on XDA.

GRazor71

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
i posted your issue in the thread. Perhaps the dev can offer some ideas to try.

Perhaps. I should note that at one point early in this troubling adventure, although I am unsure as to why or how it happened: after I ran into the PUK screen, I flashed CM10 to replace the SlimBean ROM, and on the next reboot or two I was able to access the OS, do the setup and move around. The following reboot returned the PUK screen, and I have not been able to simulate or repeat the access result I did indeed have with subsequent flashes. However, this does give me hope that there is a work-around out there somewhere.

From what I uderstand the SIM (or PUK) info is stored within the EFS folder in the file nv_data.bin. Apparently, recovery tasks cannot touch this area to erase it or reset it based on current results thus far. Then again, I am just a noob.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane