Inaccessible OS due to ROM setting mistake

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps. I should note that at one point early in this troubling adventure, although I am unsure as to why or how it happened: after I ran into the PUK screen, I flashed CM10 to replace the SlimBean ROM, and on the next reboot or two I was able to access the OS, do the setup and move around. The following reboot returned the PUK screen, and I have not been able to simulate or repeat the access result I did indeed have with subsequent flashes. However, this does give me hope that there is a work-around out there somewhere.

From what I uderstand the SIM (or PUK) info is stored within the EFS folder in the file nv_data.bin. Apparently, recovery tasks cannot touch this area to erase it or reset it based on current results thus far. Then again, I am just a noob.

Efs folder is one of the most dangerous folders to mess with on this phone. But if you could get in somehow on a rooted phone you can delete the entry with a root explorer. Yes I know you can't get into the os and that's your problem. Did you hear from spagman yet. He can restore your efs folder back to the original configuration. Let him know what you want to try.

Another thought is doing it from your computer. There are methods to backup and restore your efs folder from your computer using adb. Then you could possibly EDIT your backup to get rid of the puk. Then restore the edited backup.

GRazor71

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Received a new GS3 today and I'm back in the game. Thank you to everyone who tried to assist me. In the end, no one on any forum, not Sprint, and not even Samsung could correct the original phone problem. The moral - be very cognizant and careful when flashing any CMDA variant of a seemingly native GSM ROM, as there could be settings within them regarding the SIM cards that GSM's do have, but CMDA's do not, or perhaps other harmful settings if messed with or changed. This warning is really nothing new to anyone flashing custom ROM's; it's simply another hard-learned lesson by one person whose adding more truth to the usefulness of such warnings.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Received a new GS3 today and I'm back in the game. Thank you to everyone who tried to assist me. In the end, no one on any forum, not Sprint, and not even Samsung could correct the original phone problem. The moral - be very cognizant and careful when flashing any CMDA variant of a seemingly native GSM ROM, as there could be settings within them regarding the SIM cards that GSM's do have, but CMDA's do not, or perhaps other harmful settings if messed with or changed. This warning is really nothing new to anyone flashing custom ROM's; it's simply another hard-learned lesson by one person whose adding more truth to the usefulness of such warnings.

I gotta new phone as well. Got the gnote2. Pretty sweet so far...

Justin Sunga

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys new here to site I did the same thing on the same day and I have tried every step posted here and still lock . Weird thing is I entered puk number then it tells me to enter a pin then asks to verify pin then after I verified, goes back to asking me to enter puk?<--- so I'm like puk me! Lol help I'm loosing my mind I have had my s3 sense the first day it came out. Broke the screen replaced it, broke the led display replaced it, I don't give up because I'm committed to my droid lol!

SebasCvdB

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I just love how inexperienced people go mess around with random settings... You got lucky this time but next time you'll most likely hard brick your phone... Just saying.. Investigate before flashing any ROM / Kernel

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys new here to site I did the same thing on the same day and I have tried every step posted here and still lock . Weird thing is I entered puk number then it tells me to enter a pin then asks to verify pin then after I verified, goes back to asking me to enter puk?<--- so I'm like puk me! Lol help I'm loosing my mind I have had my s3 sense the first day it came out. Broke the screen replaced it, broke the led display replaced it, I don't give up because I'm committed to my droid lol!

Sigh. Try contacting this gentleman: JTAG Unbrick Service « Bricked my Phone and explain what you did.

For a fee, he may be able to restore your phone.

Justin Sunga

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
i will keep JTAG in mind at the moment im busy poking around in folders under UI---lol i remember being in here once to change the Dang water touch sound...Lucky me i made a clone of all the folders and files the first time i rooted it

Justin Sunga

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
i will post up pics and info after i get done...thank you guys for the all the help...I do have to say this is the reason why i tune cars with different applications AEM, Haltech, Greddy, but never thought of tuning my phone:)