Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Inaccessible OS due to ROM setting mistake

Long story short, with above average ROM knowledge, and two previous successful flashes under my belt, I flashed Slimbean JB 4.2.1 Beta1 for my Sprint GS3 SPH-L710, and all was quite fine until I messed with menu/security/SIM PIN. Though I thought I was setting it for extra phone security, I actually implemented an unknownst-to-me feature that upon the following reboot, the phone requested a PUK code for a now-locked SIM card (my phone doesn't have a SIM card by the way).

After a long CS call to Sprint, including International Sprint, I was told to go to a local store. The short part of this story is that no one has been able to help. You see, since I don't have a SIM card, I have no ID to provide to Int Sprint for them to find a PUK code for me to enter. Although, I've had many troubles in doing so, I have since been able to reset the phone to stock factory settings; HOWEVER, this has NOT removed the PUK code screen, which prevents me from using the phone at all.

I am out of ideas of things to change, alter or fix to get rid of this issue. In a sense, although I can do anything with the phone - recovery, download, flashing - except actually use the OS, I would consider this phone as useless as if it were bricked at this point. Any ideas from out there would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by Grazor71; 12-31-2012 at 12:09 AM.
    Retired Ambassador

Default Re: Inaccessible OS due to ROM setting mistake

Which recovery are you using?
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I used ODIN to put everything back to stock. I was using CWM recovery before that.
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Grazor71 View Post
    I used ODIN to put everything back to stock. I was using CWM recovery before that.
    TWRP recovery has a function that I am told is for situations like this. It has a function "format data". It is different than wiping data as it completely formats your data partition. CWM doesn't have this feature. I am guessing at this point you have nothing to lose. Here's what I would try.

1. Take your battery cover off remove the extsdcard
    2. Flash Recovery.tar (link below) in odin (PDA Block). Be sure that you have auto reboot UN selected.
    3. When reset comes up in the upper left block, unplug your device and pull the battery.
    4. Reinstall the battery and boot directly into recovery. (It should be TWRP)
    5. Choose the option to format data in the wipe menu.
    6. When done, pull the battery again to turn it off.

Now try returning to stock with the directions and files from this thread.

TWRP - recovery.tar.md5

I have never used the format data in twrp so I haven't tried this but like you said, it may as well be bricked... Good Luck....
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks. I will attempt and report back. And you're right, I've nothing to lose at all.

I was wondering what format data was in twrp, my first time flashing a rom for my nexus, i used it and assumed that was the factory reset button, simular to cme's wipe data /factory reset

Sent from my SPH - L710 running Pac Man Rom 4.1.2

My notification bar >>>>>> yours
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I like TWRP, but unfortunately this, too, was unsuccessful at ridding me of the PUK screen upon OS entry. Wherever this thing is hiding at, it's hiding very well it seems.
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by GRazor71 View Post
    I like TWRP, but unfortunately this, too, was unsuccessful at ridding me of the PUK screen upon OS entry. Wherever this thing is hiding at, it's hiding very well it seems.
    Do you remember the code you originally entered?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Which code do you mean?
    Retired Ambassador

Which code do you mean?
    The sim pin... Have you tried to enter it?

One last thought. Do the same thing in TWRP but also wipe system while you're there. Then return to stock...
    Last edited by Skunkape60; 12-31-2012 at 01:54 AM.
    Thanked by:
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

No, I never had a SIM PIN - the SPH-L710 does not have a SIM card (as I now know). I thought I was entering it for the first time in settings, which is what caused this headache. The Slimbean ROM had such small fonts, I didn't notice the line notifying me I was entering incorrect pins before it was too late. I will try again... Thanks.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

I am just throwing things against the wall here and do not have any great knowledge but there is a thread over in the thunderbolt area about losing the puk code that may help

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.
    Thanked by 2:
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    I am just throwing things against the wall here and do not have any great knowledge but there is a thread over in the thunderbolt area about losing the puk code that may help

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.
    Thanks, Any help on this is appreciated.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    Any help on this is appreciated.
    I couldn't agree more! No luck, I'm afraid, on this most recent attempt.
    Retired Ambassador

I couldn't agree more! No luck, I'm afraid, on this most recent attempt.
    I don't think the solution in the thunderbolt forum is going to help. Their solution was to log into the Verizon website and your account and clear the code. This won't work in this case...

Did you mention this in the support thread where you downloaded the Rom and did they give you any ideas?

Check you pm's
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

The Thunderbolt threads do seem like a lost cause here. I am unable to post in the ROM support thread due to it being a developers thread - did post under Sprint GS3 Q&A forum on XDA.
    Retired Ambassador

The Thunderbolt threads do seem like a lost cause here. I am unable to post in the ROM support thread due to it being a developers thread - did post under Sprint GS3 Q&A forum on XDA.
    Can you provide a link to the rom thread?
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Can you provide a link to the rom thread?
    You bet. [ROM] [4.1.2] Slim Bean-d2spr - 3.1 [11-30-2012] [All languages] - xda-developers
    Retired Ambassador

i posted your issue in the thread. Perhaps the dev can offer some ideas to try.
    Thanked by:
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

i posted your issue in the thread. Perhaps the dev can offer some ideas to try.
    Perhaps. I should note that at one point early in this troubling adventure, although I am unsure as to why or how it happened: after I ran into the PUK screen, I flashed CM10 to replace the SlimBean ROM, and on the next reboot or two I was able to access the OS, do the setup and move around. The following reboot returned the PUK screen, and I have not been able to simulate or repeat the access result I did indeed have with subsequent flashes. However, this does give me hope that there is a work-around out there somewhere.

From what I uderstand the SIM (or PUK) info is stored within the EFS folder in the file nv_data.bin. Apparently, recovery tasks cannot touch this area to erase it or reset it based on current results thus far. Then again, I am just a noob.
    Retired Ambassador

Perhaps. I should note that at one point early in this troubling adventure, although I am unsure as to why or how it happened: after I ran into the PUK screen, I flashed CM10 to replace the SlimBean ROM, and on the next reboot or two I was able to access the OS, do the setup and move around. The following reboot returned the PUK screen, and I have not been able to simulate or repeat the access result I did indeed have with subsequent flashes. However, this does give me hope that there is a work-around out there somewhere.

From what I uderstand the SIM (or PUK) info is stored within the EFS folder in the file nv_data.bin. Apparently, recovery tasks cannot touch this area to erase it or reset it based on current results thus far. Then again, I am just a noob.
    Efs folder is one of the most dangerous folders to mess with on this phone. But if you could get in somehow on a rooted phone you can delete the entry with a root explorer. Yes I know you can't get into the os and that's your problem. Did you hear from spagman yet. He can restore your efs folder back to the original configuration. Let him know what you want to try.

Another thought is doing it from your computer. There are methods to backup and restore your efs folder from your computer using adb. Then you could possibly EDIT your backup to get rid of the puk. Then restore the edited backup.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

I have messaged spagman today. Will wait for any reply. I don't know that the EFS folder is the culprit, it is just a hypothesis.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Received a new GS3 today and I'm back in the game. Thank you to everyone who tried to assist me. In the end, no one on any forum, not Sprint, and not even Samsung could correct the original phone problem. The moral - be very cognizant and careful when flashing any CMDA variant of a seemingly native GSM ROM, as there could be settings within them regarding the SIM cards that GSM's do have, but CMDA's do not, or perhaps other harmful settings if messed with or changed. This warning is really nothing new to anyone flashing custom ROMs; it's simply another hard-learned lesson by one person whose adding more truth to the usefulness of such warnings.
    Retired Ambassador

Received a new GS3 today and I'm back in the game. Thank you to everyone who tried to assist me. In the end, no one on any forum, not Sprint, and not even Samsung could correct the original phone problem. The moral - be very cognizant and careful when flashing any CMDA variant of a seemingly native GSM ROM, as there could be settings within them regarding the SIM cards that GSM's do have, but CMDA's do not, or perhaps other harmful settings if messed with or changed. This warning is really nothing new to anyone flashing custom ROMs; it's simply another hard-learned lesson by one person whose adding more truth to the usefulness of such warnings.
    I gotta new phone as well. Got the gnote2. Pretty sweet so far...
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

I gotta new phone as well. Got the gnote2. Pretty sweet so far...
    Nice!! Just trying to be a little more careful for this second go-round on this end...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast