How to have latitude longitude show on a picture with Galaxy S3?

Davek80501

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Our family is helping people with their family tree's by taking pictures of grave stones in our area for people in other parts of the country. I'd like to be able to have the latitude & longitude show on the picture so they can use Google earth or Google maps to show where the grave is. I can't seem to find an app to do this. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dave..

Ez Duzit

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. The function you want is a feature of the GS3 camera and it's native to most, if not all android phones.
Open the camera app on your GS3. You should now see a row with 5 icons just above the camera viewing area. Tap the settings button (on the left) and scroll to the bottom of the window that pops up. Make sure the "GPS tag" option is on, and then the info is automatically included in every pictures data.

You can verify it works by taking a picture of something. When the thumbnail shows up in the lower corner tap it for full screen viewing, then press the phones menu button (soft key on left side of home button). Scroll to the bottom of the menu that pops up and third from the bottom you'll see the option "Show on map". Tap it and google maps will open to that exact spot.

A few things to keep in mind.
If you ever turn off your phones GPS, make sure it's on before taking the pictures.
Also the GPS location is recorded for the position of the camera when the picture was taken, NOT the object in the picture.

Davek80501

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
What I'm trying to do is get the latitude & longitude printed on the picture it self like how some camera's put the time and date on the picture.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
There are ways of getting it done on a PC...not sure if there is any app for Android, though.

It's an extra step requiring downloading your images to the computer: GPStamper