Android system

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I've had the phone off the charger for just about 1 hour and already the android system has used 51% of the battery. Pandora is the only application I've had open.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
If Pandora is actually running and streaming music, it's going to suck battery. It's using your data connection, the audio amp, the processor. What do you expect?

Aside from that, how did you determine Pandora is the only thing running. Did you actually check the running applications tab in the App Manager? There are always things running in the background with no UI. You need to see what those are. System Panel is a good app to see what's actually running and how much cpu each one is using.

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I know that running Pandora is going to use the battery, but why does it need to use that much of the battery? The media server, Pandora, and Google maps are other things running in the background. I don't know why Google maps needs to be running because I haven't even opened the application.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Are you using Google Now? I think it will use maps to calculate time to various places it thinks you might want to go.

Streaming music uses a lot of data, and that's going to use battery. If your signal is weak, it will use even more. Are you using wi-fi or the 3G / 4G radio to stream the music. Wifi uses a lot less power.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I've had the phone off the charger for just about 1 hour and already the android system has used 51% of the battery. Pandora is the only application I've had open.

Wait... Your battery went from 100 to 51% in an hour?

Or are you saying in battery it stats it said android system had 51%? I am assuming this... And if so... It didn't take 51% battery. It is just saying that the drain for that hour on battery (I assume you were probably 90% or higher on battery) that 51% of that drain was caused by the Android system.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
As of right now, I have 19% of the battery left and have been able to get just under 4 hours of use from a fully charged battery. I'm not using Google now. The android system is using most of the battery with the media server close behind. Unfortunately, Sprint can only consistently give me a weak 3g signal. I'm not understanding why the android system is using most of the battery. I had the same problem with the Samsung epic phone.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Maps always runs in the background. Media server controls every sound on your device including ring tones, dial tones and those annoying touch sounds.

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I started out with a fully charged battery (100%). When I made my initial post, the percentage of the battery left was about 79% with the Android system accounting for 51% of the usage and that was after just one hour. At most, I used Pandora for 2.5 hours, but it was NOT a continuous 2.5 hours of usage. Towards the evening hours when I was on my way home, there was a period of about 30-45 minutes where my data service was basically non-existent. Knowing that the data wasn't working, I closed Pandora hoping that would save the battery until I could get to an area where I had service again but that didn't really help. So, I got a total of just under 4.5 hours out of the battery. Even if I am not using Pandora and instead briefly open the web browser to look at things throughout the day, the Android system still uses a good part of the battery.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I started out with a fully charged battery (100%). When I made my initial post, the percentage of the battery left was about 79% with the Android system accounting for 51% of the usage and that was after just one hour. At most, I used Pandora for 2.5 hours, but it was NOT a continuous 2.5 hours of usage. Towards the evening hours when I was on my way home, there was a period of about 30-45 minutes where my data service was basically non-existent. Knowing that the data wasn't working, I closed Pandora hoping that would save the battery until I could get to an area where I had service again but that didn't really help. So, I got a total of just under 4.5 hours out of the battery. Even if I am not using Pandora and instead briefly open the web browser to look at things throughout the day, the Android system still uses a good part of the battery.

What does it say when clicking on it? I charging my phone at the moment but you can still screen dominates anything else (I plugged in around 47%). What does your system say for awake time when you click on it?

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1358276042527.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358276042527.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 16
  • uploadfromtaptalk1358276062987.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358276062987.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 17
  • uploadfromtaptalk1358276078147.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358276078147.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 17

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
As of right now, I have 19% of the battery left and have been able to get just under 4 hours of use from a fully charged battery. I'm not using Google now. The android system is using most of the battery with the media server close behind. Unfortunately, Sprint can only consistently give me a weak 3g signal. I'm not understanding why the android system is using most of the battery. I had the same problem with the Samsung epic phone.

That may be an issue. More power is put into the 3g radio if the signal is weak. You may want to complain and have them offer you an Airave. It is Basically a mini cell tower for your home that connects to your home Internet

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance