1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HELP! Cant' sync contacts with gmail and accidentally deleted all phone contcacts trying!

Hi,

I have a sprint GS3. When I tried to sync the contacts with gmail, only 50 out of 150 would show up in gmail. If I tried to sync again, it'd still only be about 50 out of 150, but it would be a different 50. I had read that to troubleshoot this you should try removing all contacts from gmail then try to sync again. So I deleted all the gmail contacts, removed the account from my phone, then put the account back in and hit "sync". Apparently it thought I wanted to sync the gmail account which now had zero contacts and wiped out everything in my phone.

Is there any way to get these contacts back? And if so, how can I make all the contacts sync properly with gmail?

Thanks.
    Retired Ambassador

Default Re: HELP! Cant' sync contacts with gmail and accidentally deleted all phone contcacts trying!

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStarWings View Post
    Hi,

I have a sprint GS3. When I tried to sync the contacts with gmail, only 50 out of 150 would show up in gmail. If I tried to sync again, it'd still only be about 50 out of 150, but it would be a different 50. I had read that to troubleshoot this you should try removing all contacts from gmail then try to sync again. So I deleted all the gmail contacts, removed the account from my phone, then put the account back in and hit "sync". Apparently it thought I wanted to sync the gmail account which now had zero contacts and wiped out everything in my phone.

Is there any way to get these contacts back? And if so, how can I make all the contacts sync properly with gmail?

Thanks.
    Whoever told you to delete all of your contacts was wrong. I don't know how to get them back. If you go to your gmail account online with your computer and they're all gone then (I'm guessing they will be) they're gone and you will have to re-enter them.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif

Default Re: HELP! Cant' sync contacts with gmail and accidentally deleted all phone contcacts trying!

In Gmail, when I delete a contact they appear in my "Trash" can. I just select them and press recover or whatever the button is. Do you have that option?
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - SGH-I747M

Did you just delete them on your phone or actually through gmail.

I asked because I have had the same sync issue and I cleared my contacts my clearing the data on the phone and deleting the account and then re-adding it. Now if you actually deleted them from gmail which I have never done you may be screwed unless of course you automatically have your contacts backed up via google they may still be there. ANother thing you could do is check google+

I know this doesn't help with your immediate situation, but the contacts app in TW has a "merge with Google" option in the menu settings.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

The problem is I never had the full contact list on gmail. I never even had gmail until I got this phone. All I was trying to do is sync my contacts from my GS3 to my gmail account.

For some reason when there were 50-ish contacts synced to gmail there were still 150 in my phone, with automatic sync turned on. But as soon as a deleted all the contacts in gmail, all my contacts on my phone disappeared.

Well, I got 50 of the contacts back from restoring to yesterday when it had done a 30% sync. This is a very frustrating problem. I think my old contacts are still on my HTC evo so I guess will take that phone back to the sprint store and tell them to sync the phones again if I can.