How do we turn off the Amber Alert notifications?

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm really confused right now, and I'm not trying to be a **** or troll here. I just don't understand why you are asking how to turn it off, when you clearly posted that the information you have found said to contact the carrier to find instructions for changing the settings on each specific phone.

Have you tried contacting your carrier? Or do you not have a carrier to contact? If that's the case, who is sending out the Amber Alerts, and how are you making phone calls?

Some phones don't require you to contact a provider, and when you do they will direct you to the phone manual to disable the settings on the device.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

tentonbricks

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Some phones don't require you to contact a provider, and when you do they will direct you to the phone manual to disable the settings on the device.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

Touche, salesman. Like I said, I wasn't trying to be a jerk, but now I realize going back to read it, that is exactly how I came across.

And to think, back in the Samsung Replenish forum I was such a nice guy. Way to make myself known over here, eh?

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Touche, salesman. Like I said, I wasn't trying to be a jerk, but now I realize going back to read it, that is exactly how I came across.

And to think, back in the Samsung Replenish forum I was such a nice guy. Way to make myself known over here, eh?

It wasn't too jerkish. I've definitely seen worse. But yes, it gets kind of annoying, they tell you to call your provider and then many times your provider has no idea what you're even talking about, and directs you to your phone manual. There was a thread on this a few days ago, but I can't seem to chase it down.

Posted via Android Central App

Rokitman

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I agree with Carthenian. You sir... are an azzhole! I am also getting Amber Alerts, but my situation is a bit different. Today, I got 12 Amber Alerts. ALL IDENTICAL! Are you kidding me? If I didn't get the message after the first two, why the HELL would you send me 10 more. I managed to find my settings and could turn just the Amber Alerts off. So hopefully I'll have some peace. This is an extremely annoying feature with bugs that seriously need to be fixed. I have aging in-laws and I leave my cell on 24/7. I could never forgive myself if something happened to one of them and I wasn't available because my phone was turned off. Some of us HAVE to leave our phones on all the time. Next time, think outside your box head before you post.

moongdss74

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I have plenty of access to other alert channels. I would like to opt IN on my phone if I choose,not have POTUS decide what my phone should do at any given time. Call me an anarchist, but I like to have control over my devices, not the govn't. I froze the app altogether through TB. The prez can wait until I turn my radio on to yak at me.

I fiery balls of death are imminently raining down on me at 3am, I would like to go to my death asleep tyvm. Those of you with kidnapped kids I never locate can thank POTUS for me missing out on the alerts.

HamRadioNut

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I agree with most here pro and con. The alerts are useful and they are also a problem. Most of the alerts I have got are in a totally different state. So waking me up at 3 am in the morning for a missing child in Texas and I live in Georgia, well I'm sorry but that does not do either party any good. They really need to work on the location aspect of it I think for it to be effective.

vorpalk

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
On behalf of all parents, please leave it on :)

On behalf of all of us who don't pay attention to other people's kids on fear of being branded a child molester, NO.

I'm not ever going to be of use to you in finding your precious snowflake. I don't notice kids ever.

aboron

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Frankly, if the alerts had one more option for "Vibrate Only" I'd be happy to leave them all turned on. When I'm awake all the other items on my phone just vibrate and I always look to see what it is.

sg96

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
> On behalf of all parents, please leave it on

I am a parent, and I don't remember authorizing you to speak on my behalf

dsx968

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Maybe he just has that look of a child molester already so why draw unwanted attention?

I'm turning it off since it doesn't have a vibrate only setting. While working out I had my headphones on and I always turn my notification and ringer off while at the gym. The alert came on and it was so loud I had to yank my headphones out. Never bothered me until it happened with the headphones on. All because it was storming out.

ComputerNerd

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
For those with an Android 4.2.2 OS, to turn off Amber Alerts and the like...

1. Go to the "Messaging" app NOT the "Messages" or "Messenger" app.
2. Go to "Settings".
3. Scroll down to "Emergency message settings" to change the alert settings.

I agree it is important to have these alerts. After all it could be someones life at stake. But like many have discussed this alert system should of been thought through more. Adding GPS movement as an option to allow alerts would be better but would not solve all the problems. Having the option to change the ringtone would sure help a lot instead of that god awful beep noise that is painful to the ear. If it is made to be so annoying without many options to fit the users schedule of course it forces people to opt out. I received my first alert about 20 minutes ago. My phone went off but my wife's phone did not. We both have the same phone with the same carrier yet mine went off and her's didn't. Plus it was so loud I struggled to turn whatever sound my phone was making off so in the panic I never even got to read the alert notification.

And what's worse after all was said and done there was no indication on how to review the notification afterwards. What if one accidentally dismisses the alert or it goes away before one has time to read it? How can one review the past alerts or see if the alert has been dismissed? How would one know what application is setting off this alert? My phone left me no record of this alert anywhere as if it never happened and I was dreaming. This alert system was obviously poorly thought out and needs significant improvements.

Because my wife and I need sleep and because I can't afford to have a professor flunk me because my phone goes off during a test even though I put it on silence if I cannot have absolute and complete control over these alerts then I have to opt out of it. Give us more control over these alerts to better suit our day to day lives and more would be willing to stay opted in and will be less likely to opt out.

coldjeanz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
If it wasn't go obnoxious I wouldn't mind. I don't need to have the crap scared out of me at 11 pm when the Amber Alert is from a city 1.5 hours away from me in San Diego county

Srinath Ven

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Completely agree with you. I lost 3 hours of my sleep, but it is OK once in a while as long as the suspect is caught and punished severely.