Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By jk175d
  • 2 Post By meyerweb
  • 3 Post By Skunkape60
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    jk175d's Avatar

    Posts
    83 Posts
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts

    Default Is this a spam app?

    I've started getting little spam notifications like this one. Always with the red star icon. Any ideas what this may be from or how to get rid of it? For some reason I'm slightly suspicious of boat web browser, but only because they recently started using ads, and I can't think of any other apps I may have installed that might have this going on.

    Is this a spam app?-uploadfromtaptalk1358526210760.jpg

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Is this a spam app?

    Or could be malware. I'd get avast or something from the play store to scan your phone.

    Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Is this a spam app?

    Quote Originally Posted by jk175d View Post
    I've started getting little spam notifications like this one. Always with the red star icon. Any ideas what this may be from or how to get rid of it? For some reason I'm slightly suspicious of boat web browser, but only because they recently started using ads, and I can't think of any other apps I may have installed that might have this going on.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1358526210760.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	57103

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    I get these same notifications, but I don't know what the hell they are either nor where they come from. They're ANNOYING! I never open them because I don't want to open a can of worms. Somebody...ANYBODY...how do we get rid of them? I have very good security on my phone, so they have to be coming from somewhere that is not a security threat.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    jk175d's Avatar

    Posts
    83 Posts
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is this a spam app?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ntchwaidumela View Post
    I get these same notifications, but I don't know what the hell they are either nor where they come from. They're ANNOYING! I never open them because I don't want to open a can of worms. Somebody...ANYBODY...how do we get rid of them? I have very good security on my phone, so they have to be coming from somewhere that is not a security threat.
    Someone clued me into the solution. They are push notifications that are built into some app. I got Addons Detector from the play store, it identified the offending app and I got rid of it.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Is this a spam app?

    You probably don't need an app to figure it out. To see what app generated a notification, just pull down the shade, long press the notification, and tap the App Info button that appears.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

    If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

    Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
    Thanked by:
    Gator352 and Ntchwaidumela like this.
  6. #6  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: Is this a spam app?

    Add Network Detector and AirPush Detector are the two I use. Both free at the playstore.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Is this a spam app?

    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    You probably don't need an app to figure it out. To see what app generated a notification, just pull down the shade, long press the notification, and tap the App Info button that appears.
    I did this, found the app that was causing it, and deleted. Seems like the problem is solved. Thanks for reminding me about this.
  8. #8  
    thenameisnigel's Avatar

    Posts
    1,417 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,427 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Is this a spam app?

    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    Add Network Detector and AirPush Detector are the two I use. Both free at the playstore.
    ROM Toolbox can stop the ads if you absolutely have to have the app but to me any app that has adpush isn't necessarily the best app to have.

    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums


    Official OpenROM Developer
    Want to contribute to OpenROM? Click HERE.
    Want to view my personal GitHub? Click HERE.

Similar Threads

  1. Which calendar app is this?
    By yahtzee in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-03-2010, 03:30 PM
  2. This launcher icon app, where is it?
    By LoveToTalkSports in forum HTC Droid Eris
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-05-2010, 11:33 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-30-2010, 04:52 PM
  4. Is this app available?
    By teampez in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-07-2010, 07:44 AM

Posting Permissions

B