Is this a spam app?

jk175d

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I've started getting little spam notifications like this one. Always with the red star icon. Any ideas what this may be from or how to get rid of it? For some reason I'm slightly suspicious of boat web browser, but only because they recently started using ads, and I can't think of any other apps I may have installed that might have this going on.

uploadfromtaptalk1358526210760.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Or could be malware. I'd get avast or something from the play store to scan your phone.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I've started getting little spam notifications like this one. Always with the red star icon. Any ideas what this may be from or how to get rid of it? For some reason I'm slightly suspicious of boat web browser, but only because they recently started using ads, and I can't think of any other apps I may have installed that might have this going on.

View attachment 57103

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I get these same notifications, but I don't know what the hell they are either nor where they come from. They're ANNOYING! I never open them because I don't want to open a can of worms. Somebody...ANYBODY...how do we get rid of them? I have very good security on my phone, so they have to be coming from somewhere that is not a security threat.

jk175d

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I get these same notifications, but I don't know what the hell they are either nor where they come from. They're ANNOYING! I never open them because I don't want to open a can of worms. Somebody...ANYBODY...how do we get rid of them? I have very good security on my phone, so they have to be coming from somewhere that is not a security threat.

Someone clued me into the solution. They are push notifications that are built into some app. I got Addons Detector from the play store, it identified the offending app and I got rid of it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
You probably don't need an app to figure it out. To see what app generated a notification, just pull down the shade, long press the notification, and tap the App Info button that appears.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
You probably don't need an app to figure it out. To see what app generated a notification, just pull down the shade, long press the notification, and tap the App Info button that appears.

I did this, found the app that was causing it, and deleted. Seems like the problem is solved. Thanks for reminding me about this.

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Add Network Detector and AirPush Detector are the two I use. Both free at the playstore.

ROM Toolbox can stop the ads if you absolutely have to have the app but to me any app that has adpush isn't necessarily the best app to have.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678