Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Do you think Sprint will replace?

Today was an off day for me ... I downloaded a rom for the incorrect phone, after realizing my mistake I dowbloaded to correct rom. When I booted to recover I flashed the incorrect rom. The phone will not boot to recovery or download mode. Power will not come on and battery indicator will not show when plugged into charger. My question is do you think Sprint will give me a hard time replacing it ... will they know its been rooted wo being able to access odin?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

ROM
    Team Venom v1.2

Default Re: Do you think Sprint will replace?

Only a suggestion.Bricked Phones

Quote Originally Posted by stevedub View Post
    Today was an off day for me ... I downloaded a rom for the incorrect phone, after realizing my mistake I dowbloaded to correct rom. When I booted to recover I flashed the incorrect rom. The phone will not boot to recovery or download mode. Power will not come on and battery indicator will not show when plugged into charger. My question is do you think Sprint will give me a hard time replacing it ... will they know its been rooted wo being able to access odin?

Uh, how is your phone "bricked" if you sent this post from the supposed "bricked" phone???

Quote Originally Posted by fetterjohn View Post
    Uh, how is your phone "bricked" if you sent this post from the supposed "bricked" phone???
    Maybe he has 2 phones

Sent from my Google Nexus 7 running aokp 4.1.2, because there is no PacMan rom for the nexus
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens
    Retired Ambassador

If you can't get into download mode neither can they. If they can't get into download mode they can't tell if it has been rooted. They will most likely give you a new phone.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Ryan_Clark likes this.

I understand the anxiety and giddiness of flashing new roms but people need to read...then read again... to make sure they are getting the correct rom for the correct phone. Not trying to be an a$$ here, just trying to get people to READ.
    Thanked by:
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

No one should ever return a bricked phone to the carrier. It's not their fault that the phone was bricked.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE
    Thanked by:
    Gator352, metz65 and Golfdriver97 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Topgonzo View Post
    No one should ever return a bricked phone to the carrier. It's not their fault that the phone was bricked.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE
    If you pay for a warranty, its your right to use it, it's your money gong down the drain, not theirs

Sent from my Google Nexus 7 running aokp 4.1.2, because there is no PacMan rom for the nexus
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens
    makaroni likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator352 View Post
    I understand the anxiety and giddiness of flashing new roms but people need to read...then read again... to make sure they are getting the correct rom for the correct phone. Not trying to be an a$$ here, just trying to get people to READ.
    This

This has has happened too many times over the past few months, but it's their fault for not reading and researching as much as possible before messing with their 300$ device

Global Posts
    6,873 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

I've not dealt with Sprint on this, but Verizon does give a hard time about rooted phones at times. In those cases they may ask you to pay for the replacement or use an upgrade, but you can always decline and ask a different rep. Some also recommend drowning or losing phones in this condition, although I feel that is dishonest. I would read the insurance policy carefully and see if it even mentions the boot loader. Typically unlocking voids warranty, buy insurance is separate.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos View Post
    This

This has has happened too many times over the past few months, but it's their fault for not reading and researching as much as possible before messing with their 300$ device

Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Topgonzo View Post

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE
    Totally agree with you.
    Thanked by:
    metz65 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos View Post
    If you pay for a warranty, its your right to use it, it's your money gong down the drain, not theirs
    (
    Umm, the warranty isn't unlimited. The simple act of rooting violates the terms of the warranty and voids said warranty. And if they replace the phone under warranty, that's their money, not yours. (We're talking warranty, not insurance. -- But rooting violates the terms of Assurian's insurance, too.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.
    Thanked by 2:

As for all the other posts in this thread I have to agree.. Most insurance and warranties do not cover rooting.. For this exact reason. It begins to cost to much.. So it does void it.

Everyone should take that into guidance. When rooting you need to read and I mean fully read. Don't glance and think you saw something.. One flash of the wrong ROM and your phone is done. So simply calm down and don't rush it.. Read and you should have no issues then.

As for the OP... You can see if Sprint will take it back. All you can do is try.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Gator352 likes this.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

I didn't send it from a bricked phone I sent it from my second galaxy s3 but thanks for the concern.

16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Sound of chaos -
    Thank you I appreciate your response I tend to play better with people who can think.

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

I completely agree and I never denied it I downloaded the wrong s*** and i flash it. I made a mistake and I learn the hard way.

18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

I wanted to come back update the situation. I took the phone into sprint I simply told them that it would not boot. they took the phone from me and asked no further questions. The techs tested it ... they couldn't get it to boot charge or do anything else for that matter so they replaced it on the spot.

I wanted to come back update the situation. I took the phone into sprint I simply told them that it would not boot. they took the phone from me and asked no further questions. The techs tested it ... they couldn't get it to boot charge or do anything else for that matter so they replaced it on the spot.

Niiiiiice! Now leave this one alone lol

My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch
    Gator352 likes this.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Quote Originally Posted by makaroni View Post
    Niiiiiice! Now leave this one alone lol

Lol I hear ya ... Too late already rooted and flashed multiple times. I think I found a daily driver setup.

The thing that kills me is I caught my mistake downloaded the correct file and all it took was a finger slip in clockworkmod.

Live and learn right.

You got lucky. I'm glad you got it replaced BUT this is one of the reasons we have lost a lot of our perks as long time customers....along with why we are paying higher prices. Like I said, not trying to be an a$$ but people screw up their phones (whether on purpose or not) and everyone else pays the price.
    Thanked by:

You got lucky. I'm glad you got it replaced BUT this is one of the reasons we have lost a lot of our perks as long time customers....along with why we are paying higher prices. Like I said, not trying to be an a$$ but people screw up their phones (whether on purpose or not) and everyone else pays the price.
    That's just life. Happens with everything, car insurance, phones, taxes etc. We pay higher taxes for people to sit home, be lazy and collect free Money and we can't do a thing about it so makes no sense complaining. It is what it is. It will never stop so you'll just have to get over it buddy. He made an honest mistake and we're glad he can get a new phone and do it right this time. These cell carriers get over on us for Millions of Dollars anyway so if we didn't pay higher prices for people messing up their phones, it would be for something else they make up so don't sweat it. Peace

Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by makaroni View Post
    That's just life. Happens with everything, car insurance, phones, taxes etc. We pay higher taxes for people to sit home, be lazy and collect free Money and we can't do a thing about it so makes no sense complaining. It is what it is. It will never stop so you'll just have to get over it buddy. He made an honest mistake and we're glad he can get a new phone and do it right this time. These cell carriers get over on us for Millions of Dollars anyway so if we didn't pay higher prices for people messing up their phones, it would be for something else they make up so don't sweat it. Peace

Yeah it does happen, buddy. But as long as you and others "sit" on collective butts, nothing gets changed. If your not part of the solution, then your part of the problem. He didn't make an "honest" mistake. Rooting and changing roms are warranty voiding policies under Sprint. He chose to root and rom and that's fine but he F'ed it up so he should pay the price. I'm glad he got a new one. I am. But when and if Sprint decides to close this loophole because of this, don't go crying to mommy.

Sure, these carriers are thieves. But that's not the point. Speaking of higher taxes........

Our property taxes here in Lake County, Fl. kept rising by 2% a year for the last 5 years. This raising was supposed to pay for updated police and fire equipment. But instead, the county was buying new Jeep Cherokees for other services. Well, the county got sued and lost. Now our property taxes this year are 10% less. So don't sit there and say "we" can't do anything.

Peace

Sound of chaos -
    Thank you I appreciate your response I tend to play better with people who can think.
    Translated as "people who agree with you"?
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

Op you are no better than a common thief! You should learn how to man up!

Remember what the doormouse said, feed your head!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast