I think I might root REALLY soon....

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
IF I do root, it will be within the next few DAYS! Just a few questions before I do it:

1. I know I hafta download all the things and follow all the steps in THIS POST. Once that is done is my phone ready to use just like I am using it now?

2. How do I not lose all my data for apps and all my settings and what-not? All I am asking is how do I backup all my pics, app data, and all my Nova Launcher settings, etc.?

3. How do I install a "custom ROM"? I want a Jelly Bean 4.2 ROM.

4. What are generally the most used/trusted/best running ROMs?

5. How do I download a different kernel? Because my kernel wakelocks a lot and keeps my phone awake too much! I want a more efficient kernal!

6. Lastly, I do not know a lot at all as a lot of the people on here. BUT I do have my reasons for rooting (I want JB 4.2 and multi-view; better battery life; and even MORE customization).... so do you think I should root with my limited knowledge?

Thanks to all that can help me out!

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
IF I do root, it will be within the next few DAYS! Just a few questions before I do it:

1. I know I hafta download all the things and follow all the steps in THIS POST. Once that is done is my phone ready to use just like I am using it now?

2. How do I not lose all my data for apps and all my settings and what-not? All I am asking is how do I backup all my pics, app data, and all my Nova Launcher settings, etc.?

3. How do I install a "custom ROM"? I want a Jelly Bean 4.2 ROM.

4. What are generally the most used/trusted/best running ROMs?

5. How do I download a different kernel? Because my kernel wakelocks a lot and keeps my phone awake too much! I want a more efficient kernal!

6. Lastly, I do not know a lot at all as a lot of the people on here. BUT I do have my reasons for rooting (I want JB 4.2 and multi-view; better battery life; and even MORE customization).... so do you think I should root with my limited knowledge?

Thanks to all that can help me out!

Rooting isn't going to change how your phone behaves, installing custom ROMs and other crap that can USE ROOT access is what will jack it up if you're not careful.

<< Sent from my SG3 using Tapatalk >>

DoesItMatter

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
No - with the questions you are asking - you should not root right now.

You need to read up quite a bit more and learn the own answers to your questions, otherwise you'll cause more harm than good.

#2 can definitely be solved ahead of time - get a backup app - Titanium backup works well.

I don't think you need to be rooted to backup your stuff, but you DO need to be rooted for more of the advanced features of Titanium backup.

You have to do #2 before you do #3 or else you will lose all your custom settings / some data etc.

#4 - varies - I've stuck with the rooted stock rom, customized my own way, and removed all the samsung bloatware, as well as installed Agat's 0.3.3 kernel
Works very well for me, allows for overclock up to 1.8+ ghz, allows deep sleep, etc.

#5 - Agat's 0.3.3 kernel works well on my phone with the stock JB 4.1.1 rom - I didn't have luck with the Ktoons kernel though - wouldn't work correctly.

Almost ALL of your questions are trial and error, some roms can work perfect on one phone, and not work well on another phone.

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
No - with the questions you are asking - you should not root right now.

You need to read up quite a bit more and learn the own answers to your questions, otherwise you'll cause more harm than good.

#2 can definitely be solved ahead of time - get a backup app - Titanium backup works well.

I don't think you need to be rooted to backup your stuff, but you DO need to be rooted for more of the advanced features of Titanium backup.

You have to do #2 before you do #3 or else you will lose all your custom settings / some data etc.

#4 - varies - I've stuck with the rooted stock rom, customized my own way, and removed all the samsung bloatware, as well as installed Agat's 0.3.3 kernel
Works very well for me, allows for overclock up to 1.8+ ghz, allows deep sleep, etc.

#5 - Agat's 0.3.3 kernel works well on my phone with the stock JB 4.1.1 rom - I didn't have luck with the Ktoons kernel though - wouldn't work correctly.

Almost ALL of your questions are trial and error, some roms can work perfect on one phone, and not work well on another phone.

Where should I "read up more"???

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Where should I "read up more"???

Start by reading the entire thread that you linked in your first post. It contains a wealth of information, including the answers to some of your questions. Then re-read the specific instructions at least twice, to make sure you really understand them. When actually rooting, read each instruction again, slowly; don't assume you remember everything.

Then start reading a lot of other threads in this rooting section. You'll learn a great deal. Or, if you're still confused, you'll probably know you shouldn't try flashing a custom ROM. There are some discussions about 4.2 ROMs already, but there is no official Samsung 4.2 ROM available, so you'll be taking a risk, and probably discover that some things don't work as well as the factory ROM. Why do you want a 4.2 ROM? Is there some specific capability you want, or do you just think that because it's the latest it's "the best"? You will lose all the Samsung extensions to Android.

1. Yes, it will work exactly as it does now. Rooting simply gives you the ability to do more.
2. If you follow skunkapes instructions, you won't lose any information at all.
4. Read this forum. I don't think there's any 4.2 ROM that really matches your criteria.
5. There's a thread here with links to all the known, relatively stable Kernals and ROMs for the Sprint GS3. Start reading there.
6. Multi-view is, I believe, a Samsung feature, not an Android 4.2 feature. Should you root with your existing knowledge? Maybe. But I think you should read a lot more about specific ROMs and Kernels, and what they offer (both good and bad) before you even think about flashing a ROM or a Kernel.

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Start by reading the entire thread that you linked in your first post. It contains a wealth of information, including the answers to some of your questions. Then re-read the specific instructions at least twice, to make sure you really understand them. When actually rooting, read each instruction again, slowly; don't assume you remember everything.

Then start reading a lot of other threads in this rooting section. You'll learn a great deal. Or, if you're still confused, you'll probably know you shouldn't try flashing a custom ROM. There are some discussions about 4.2 ROMs already, but there is no official Samsung 4.2 ROM available, so you'll be taking a risk, and probably discover that some things don't work as well as the factory ROM. Why do you want a 4.2 ROM? Is there some specific capability you want, or do you just think that because it's the latest it's "the best"? You will lose all the Samsung extensions to Android.

1. Yes, it will work exactly as it does now. Rooting simply gives you the ability to do more.
2. If you follow skunkapes instructions, you won't lose any information at all.
4. Read this forum. I don't think there's any 4.2 ROM that really matches your criteria.
5. There's a thread here with links to all the known, relatively stable Kernals and ROMs for the Sprint GS3. Start reading there.
6. Multi-view is, I believe, a Samsung feature, not an Android 4.2 feature. Should you root with your existing knowledge? Maybe. But I think you should read a lot more about specific ROMs and Kernels, and what they offer (both good and bad) before you even think about flashing a ROM or a Kernel.

Wow, I do have a lot of reading to do lol. I thought multi-view was a part of Android, guess I was wrong. Guess I'll hafta read up WAY more before I even think about doing anything. All I wanted was to get the latest version of Android faster, as 4.2 has been out for a while, even 4.1.2 has been out for a month, yet these dang carriers take forever to release em!

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Ask yourself this: What do you expect to gain from upgrading to 4.2 from 4.1.1? The changes are really pretty minor.

I don't mean to discourage you, but before you start flashing ROMs you really do need to understand what you're doing. Rooting is easy, if you follow skunkape's instructions. Flashing ROMs and Kernels is a very good way to turn your phone into a doorstop if you don't understand what's involved.

Oh, and one more caution: The instructions you linked to are for SPRINT Galaxy S3 only. I assume that since you're in this forum you have a Sprint GS3, but since there's been a minor rush of people bricking their phones by following the wrong set of instructions, do be sure you're following instructions that are for your specific phone AND carrier.

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Ask yourself this: What do you expect to gain from upgrading to 4.2 from 4.1.1? The changes are really pretty minor.

I don't mean to discourage you, but before you start flashing ROMs you really do need to understand what you're doing. Rooting is easy, if you follow skunkape's instructions. Flashing ROMs and Kernels is a very good way to turn your phone into a doorstop if you don't understand what's involved.

Oh, and one more caution: The instructions you linked to are for SPRINT Galaxy S3 only. I assume that since you're in this forum you have a Sprint GS3, but since there's been a minor rush of people bricking their phones by following the wrong set of instructions, do be sure you're following instructions that are for your specific phone AND carrier.

Well I'm really into customization and all that and I like the lockscreen widgets in 4.2 and photosphere and all that good stuff.

And yes, thanks for caring about me (well, my phone lol) but I do have a Sprint GS3.