Lots of dropped calls in the Chicago area suddenly!

skidmark

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
My wife's GS3 is suddenly dropping calls and/or receiving voicemail alerts hours after they have been left. It's anyone else in the Chicago are experiencing this?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
No actually dropped calls has been almost eliminated since they started the NV (Network Vision) updates back last year.

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I haven't used my phone for calls in a few days, and it was working fine then. However, I've had some strange goings on with my network connection this morning. If it connected to the network at all, it wouldn't connect to Google Services (signal bar stayed grey), and everything I did on the internet timed out. Even if it did connect to Google, any internet activity would timeout. This was happening whether I was connected to 4G or 3G. It went on like that for several hours, but it's back to normal for me now.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had any dropped calls, and my data has been fast. I did notice that I was having a problem connecting to the Play Store this morning. It timed out several times. I turned my phone off for a couple of minutes and it was fine when I turned it back on. Other than that, no problems. MJ, where are you located in Chicago? Maybe it's something with the tower where your wife was using the phone.

skidmark

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had any dropped calls, and my data has been fast. I did notice that I was having a problem connecting to the Play Store this morning. It timed out several times. I turned my phone off for a couple of minutes and it was fine when I turned it back on. Other than that, no problems. MJ, where are you located in Chicago? Maybe it's something with the tower where your wife was using the phone.

We are located on the Southside, and it has been occurring anywhere between home and work. (McKinley park and mdw). I have tried restarting her phone, but that didn't work.

It's frustrating to say the least. I will bring it in to the Sprint store to run a diagnostic.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
We are located on the Southside, and it has been occurring anywhere between home and work. (McKinley park and mdw). I have tried restarting her phone, but that didn't work.

It's frustrating to say the least. I will bring it in to the Sprint store to run a diagnostic.

Good idea. You also did a battery pull too, right? I'm in Lakeview, but haven't noticed any ongoing problems. I've noticed in the past that I used to have a problem with dropped calls on North Ave. just west of Rte. 83 (North Villa Park area), but that was a few years back. But I know there are probably some dead spots in our area. If it happens in the same area all the time, that's what it is. Network Vision was supposed to solve most of those problems, but....

skidmark

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Good idea. You also did a battery pull too, right? I'm in Lakeview, but haven't noticed any ongoing problems. I've noticed in the past that I used to have a problem with dropped calls on North Ave. just west of Rte. 83 (North Villa Park area), but that was a few years back. But I know there are probably some dead spots in our area. If it happens in the same area all the time, that's what it is. Network Vision was supposed to solve most of those problems, but....

I tried the battery pull, and still the same drop call issue.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't think there's much else you can do to solve the problem. Take it in to Sprint and make them solve it. If it was strictly a data issue, there may be other avenues. But voice is separate.

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Could be an issue with the network, maybe they're upgrading the towers in your area? That was happening to me this past summer, was having issues making and receiving calls and texts, plus I would get voicemails hours after someone called. Also have you updated the PRL and Profile in the settings menu? Maybe that would help?

If all else fails, bring it to a Sprint store like Ntchwaidumela recommended and have them take a look at it.

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site

Funny you would say that. There's this dead zone in Lagrange Park right on the corner of 31st street and LaGrange Road by the forest preserve. Whenever I'm talking to somebody the call always cuts out on that stretch of 31st street.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Funny you would say that. There's this dead zone in Lagrange Park right on the corner of 31st street and LaGrange Road by the forest preserve. Whenever I'm talking to somebody the call always cuts out on that stretch of 31st street.

I'm very familiar with that area. I used to live nearby some years ago. I seem to remember that same problem there.

skidmark

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I just got back from the Sprint store and they showed me their computer screen showing that there is currently a network upgrade in my zip code and it is to be completed by 5/6/13

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones...i haven't had a single dropped call since I got this phone in September

It isn't his phone.. It's the network in his area being upgraded and during this process you can have call and text issues.. As well as data issues.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.