Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Complete loss of Sprint Network in NE area

Hey all,

This morning as I was getting ready to leave the house, I disabled my wireless connection and then put the phone in my pocket to head out the door. I got in the car, hooked everything up, but I couldn't get ANY data to download from Sprint. I turned mobile networks off for about ten minutes, back on, nothing. I restarted the phone, shut the phone off, etc...in between, I was trying to do PRL updates and whatnot. That didn't work as it spit out a 602 connection error. I had to wait till the phone found a 4G tower, where it switched over successfully and data started flowing. I quickly did a PRL update and data worked normally between 4G and 3G areas.

As an FYI, I was traveling from the seacoast area of NH, into Massachusetts.

Is it possible that when I turned off my wireless at home and likely shut the screen off, that it somehow didn't prepare the network settings properly and there was some bogus setting left over? I would have thought a reboot or even power down would have alleviated it, but nope...i had to switch between 3G and 4G for data traffic to initialize.

Thanks!

Default Re: Complete loss of Sprint Network in NE area

I never turn my wireless off, when I leave my house I just leave and my phone changes to what ever network own it's own, then when I return home it changes back to my wireless. I have noticed sometimes I don't have 4G where I know there is 4G but I know they are still working on it sometimes.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yeah, the only reason I turn it off is that I like to get my Google Music or Pandora going before leaving the driveway. When I'm in the driveway, I'm still connected to my wireless...and then driving away pauses the music as the device changes over to the mobile network. Just a personal preference really to do it manually.

Quote Originally Posted by Ytsejamer1 View Post
    Hey all,
    Is it possible that when I turned off my wireless at home and likely shut the screen off, that it somehow didn't prepare the network settings properly and there was some bogus setting left over? I would have thought a reboot or even power down would have alleviated it, but nope...i had to switch between 3G and 4G for data traffic to initialize.
    Turning the screen of does only that--blank the screen. It doesn't stop any background processes or program activity. So that shouldn't have kept your phone from properly connecting to the Sprint network.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

This happened again today...however, I only had to travel one town over before it actually started passing traffic to AND from the sprint towers. Annoying. I can't figure for the life of me what might be causing it. I flashed the new version 4.1.2 about an hour ago...so I'll check to see if it works tomorrow in the AM when I go to the car and get wired in for the commute.

Could Sprint be doing network upgrades in the area? I've heard that service can be disrupted during that process.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Possibly network upgrades, but I'm not sure. I was thinking perhaps my phone was connecting to a neighbors AirRave that maybe is locked down or something. Then once out of range, it'd be fine...but my first "outage" was for about 35 miles away from my house. So there goes that theory.

Last night it took about five minutes to finally connect to a working tower. It connected initially, but I could see the device pinging the tower, not getting any response (green arrow up only). Then after those few minutes, the 3G connection went away, it said preparing network, reconnected to 3G tower, and then I had traffic in both directions (orange down arrow AND green up arrow). This morning, I shut off my wireless before going outside and it connected to the tower without issue within 15 seconds.