Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Default Re: Your Way to Update to MA6

? here: Is there any way to simply update from rooted stock LJ7 to stock MA6 if you have CWM recovery installed? The only option is flashing an entire full new stock ROM?

I remember updating my stock rooted EVO would be done by simply downloading the OTA to external card, reboot and go into AMON/CWM/etc recovery, flash the OTA file manually which would upgrade, reboot, then reboot into recovery and do a re-root.

Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    ROM
    R.D.D.T ND2 v1

Quote Originally Posted by SeaMonster View Post
    How do I do a "dirty flash"?
    Just as he said.... only wipe cache and dalvick and DO NOT factory reset= dirty flash.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #53  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Ytsejamer1 View Post
    ? here: Is there any way to simply update from rooted stock LJ7 to stock MA6 if you have CWM recovery installed? The only option is flashing an entire full new stock ROM?

I remember updating my stock rooted EVO would be done by simply downloading the OTA to external card, reboot and go into AMON/CWM/etc recovery, flash the OTA file manually which would upgrade, reboot, then reboot into recovery and do a re-root.
    You can certainly give it a try but really it's pretty darn painless.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Thanked by:

Just want to make sure because I'm rooted. I can just flash the files in the second post using twrp and boom updated to 4.1.2.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #55  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by phippsy84 View Post
    Just want to make sure because I'm rooted. I can just flash the files in the second post using twrp and boom updated to 4.1.2.
    Yes. Flash one of the roms and the firmware/modem.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    Yes. Flash one of the roms and the firmware/modem.
    Sweetness. Will be doing so when I get home.

So, why is SpintCare telling me that there have been no new official announcements about any OTA coming to the SGS3?

Thumbs up Re: Your Way to Update to MA6

You can certainly give it a try but really it's pretty darn painless.
    Well, I went ahead and gave it a whirl....here's what I did:
    FYI: I'm running CWM Recovery v6.0.1.2

1. Copy Stock LJ7 to MA6 update to external sdcard...Here's the update file I used: Goo.im Downloads - Downloading update_SPH-L710_LJ7_to_MA6.zip. It was the same exact size as Skunk's first file he posted a link for, just a little different file name with all the numbers taken off. It's about 158MB or so.
    2. Shut off phone. Press volume up, power and home button at the same time and go into your CWM Recovery.
    3. Install update via your copied update zip file from external sdcard. This takes about three to four minutes to fully run.
    4. Once complete, go back and wipe cache directory.
    5. Go to Advanced and then wipe the dalvik cache.
    6. Choose to reboot phone. CWM will warn you that stock recovery has been chosen, do you want to make sure to ignore that change, keeping CWM. Say yes.
    7. CWM will then say that root might be removed, do you want to fix?...say yes.
    8. The phone reboots...you'll see the android is upgrading/optimizing apps and then you're back to your lock screen.
    9. It'll take a bit of time...but my SuperSU was still present and accounted for. Wifi tether worked fine (with encryption), root programs worked without issue, all was good to go.
    Last edited by Ytsejamer1; 02-16-2013 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Link to Update File I used
    Thanked by:
    rando991 likes this.

Not sure if i'm missing anything or not, but if i'm rooted with stock rom and CWM, I'll have to reset my whole phone and flash these files? if i do have to do so i can just back up everything i have now and restore without a problem? or could i do this via OTA using the OTA RootKeeper app and no problems should come up?
    If you are Rooted and have custom recovery this is for you.

This is the Full Stock LJ7 Pre-Rooted in a zip file. You would flash these files like you would any other ROM. The Rom and firmware (radio) are 2 separate zips.
    Please thank freeza in his xda rthread.

1. Download files and put them on you external or internal sdcard.
    2. Wipe cache, wipe dalvik, factory Reset
    3. Flash Firmware
    4. Flash ROM
    5. Reboot

MA6 Full Odexed Version

MA6 Full DeOdexed Version

MA6 Firmware

Liked what I did or helped you out? A simple "thanks" would be great!
    If you want me to reply to you in a quick fashion hit the "reply with quote" or send me a message so it can be done
    Samsung Intercept(retired), HTC Hero(retired), Motorola Atrix 2(game phone"let's see what new ROM I can put on this today"), Samsung Galaxy S3(main phone), Asus Nexus 7(better than my parents iPad)

See my above post. I was rooted with stock rom and had CWM recovery...as you are. I was hoping to avoid flashing a full rom over the top and having to either do a dirty flash or erase and restore. It looks like the LJ7 to MA6 upgrade works fine with CWM.

Must of missed that. Im watcing the video QBKing77 has posted, so far so good How To Manually Update Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 to MA6 OTA - YouTube

UPDATE: seems like what you said is similar to the video, everything so far seems to be working, still rooted (during the process) and everything seems to be booting up fine. I'll post another update once it is finish booting up
    UPDATE2: everything works fine
    See my above post. I was rooted with stock rom and had CWM recovery...as you are. I was hoping to avoid flashing a full rom over the top and having to either do a dirty flash or erase and restore. It looks like the LJ7 to MA6 upgrade works fine with CWM.
    Last edited by gotta have it android; 02-14-2013 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Update

If you want me to reply to you in a quick fashion hit the "reply with quote" or send me a message so it can be done
    Samsung Intercept(retired), HTC Hero(retired), Motorola Atrix 2(game phone"let's see what new ROM I can put on this today"), Samsung Galaxy S3(main phone), Asus Nexus 7(better than my parents iPad)

Has anybody had problems loading these files to their sd cards? It keeps failing for me.

Anyone have any thoughts as to whether this would work with TWRP? I assume it would, as long as TWRP will give you the warnings and options in steps 6 and 7, below.

Well, I went ahead and gave it a whirl....here's what I did:
    FYI: I'm running CWM Recovery v6.0.1.2

1. Copy Stock LJ7 to MA6 update to external sdcard...first file Skunk posted. It's about 158MB or so.
    2. Shut off phone. Press volume up, power and home button at the same time and go into your CWM Recovery.
    3. Install update via your copied update zip file from external sdcard. This takes about three to four minutes to fully run.
    4. Once complete, go back and wipe cache directory.
    5. Go to Advanced and then wipe the dalvik cache.
    6. Choose to reboot phone. CWM will warn you that stock recovery has been chosen, do you want to make sure to ignore that change, keeping CWM. Say yes.
    7. CWM will then say that root might be removed, do you want to fix?...say yes.
    8. The phone reboots...you'll see the android is upgrading/optimizing apps and then you're back to your lock screen.
    9. It'll take a bit of time...but my SuperSU was still present and accounted for. Wifi tether worked fine (with encryption), root programs worked without issue, all was good to go.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.

only problem i have is that my phone doesnt always get picked up from my computer :/
    Quote Originally Posted by phippsy84 View Post
    Has anybody had problems loading these files to their sd cards? It keeps failing for me.

Wannabe kewl

Global Posts
    675 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations TW-JB

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Anyone have any thoughts as to whether this would work with TWRP? I assume it would, as long as TWRP will give you the warnings and options in steps 6 and 7, below.
    Works with TWRP. Or, I should say, the firmware flash works with TWRP.
    "I drank what!?!?!" ~Socrates
    "Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor." ~NASA, 1965
    New users, click here!!
    Sprint Sammy GS3 | MB1 | Wicked Sensations JB v2.1 | TWRP 2.4.3.0
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #66  
    Retired Ambassador

The rooted Rom is just a Rom it will work with either twrp or cwm.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    ROM
    R.D.D.T ND2 v1

Question: Since I'm running a custom ROM (PACman v19.9) and I just wanna flash the firmware only, should I do a clean install or would a dirty flash be ok??

ROM
    Stock/Rooted

I had no problems Skunk's instructions (I'm stock rooted with CWM recovery). I did a dirty flash and everything seems fine, battery useage is normal, CWM and SU are still present. No warnings to fix either.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    ROM
    R.D.D.T ND2 v1

Quote Originally Posted by rando991 View Post
    I had no problems Skunk's instructions (I'm stock rooted with CWM recovery). I did a dirty flash and everything seems fine, battery useage is normal, CWM and SU are still present. No warnings to fix either.
    Sweet, thanks for the info... flashing now!
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #70  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Joe113 View Post
    Question: Since I'm running a custom ROM (PACman v19.9) and I just wanna flash the firmware only, should I do a clean install or would a dirty flash be ok??
    Just flash it. No wipes needed for the firmware only.

Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    ROM
    R.D.D.T ND2 v1

Just flash it. No wipes needed for the firmware only.
    Too late lol -___-

Just wondering if the MA6 will work with the new Liquid Smooth ROM that just came out today (Android 4.2.2)?! Thanks guys, you are life savers. My phone would DEFINITELY be bricked without you people hahaa.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #72  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Joe113 View Post
    Too late lol -___-

Just wondering if the MA6 will work with the new Liquid Smooth ROM that just came out today (Android 4.2.2)?! Thanks guys, you are life savers. My phone would DEFINITELY be bricked without you people hahaa.
    Firmware (Modem or Radio) is completely independent of your rom and therefore can be run on any rom. They have little to do with each other.
    Thanked by:
    Joe113 

Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    ROM
    R.D.D.T ND2 v1

Firmware (Modem or Radio) is completely independent of your rom and therefore can be run on any rom. They have little to do with each other.
    Shoulda went to my go-to site for noobs (such as me).

"The radio / baseband / modem is a firmware that allows your phone to connect to the wireless network. This firmware controls basic low-level functions of your phone like cell-network connectivity, Wi-Fi, and GPS. Oftentimes an updated radio / modem will help with signal strength issues, battery drain and more. The radio / modem firmware is specific to each device and carrier and is flashed via custom recovery."

In all seriousness though, thanks Skunkape. Also I highly recommend that site to anyone who is new to this stuff.
    Thanked by:
    cb1231 

This is my first time flashing a ROM after rooting, so forgive the noobness, but now that I have flashed this update, will I still get an OTA notification? If so, what would I need to do in order to ignore it?
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #75  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by tat21985 View Post
    This is my first time flashing a ROM after rooting, so forgive the noobness, but now that I have flashed this update, will I still get an OTA notification? If so, what would I need to do in order to ignore it?
    You shouldn't get the update notification of you flash the Rom in the 2nd post.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast