Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Default Re: Your Way to Update to MA6

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    Damned you best me to it. Lol... congrats.
    thanks for the help.
    so far i dont see any negative effects of doing a dirty install. everything seems to be working well.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dave426 View Post
    I just tried this route I have CWM Recovery 6.0.1.2 also, it aborted it, couldn't open it and claimed it was a bad file. Oh well guess I am going dirty.
    I edited my post indicating the exact update file I used based off of one of Skunk's links to XDA. The file was the same exact size, and the filename differed by simply a few numbers at the beginning (12345filename.zip versus filename.zip).

It's entirely possible that the files are different and if so, my humblest apologies.. I literally flipped a coin and just looked on my phone to find that I didn't use Skunk's first file...i used the update file on the XDA thread.

ROM
    MOAR 9

No harm no foul, I flashed dirty and got the same effect. Thanks for the heads up and letting future flashers know!
    Galaxy S3 running MOAR Official v9.0. 50+ Mods Morphology 3.9.14

David

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts

will this delete anything? I assume if not phone should have all settings, programs etc. like it would if it were a over the air update?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #105  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by agiudici View Post
    will this delete anything? I assume if not phone should have all settings, programs etc. like it would if it were a over the air update?
    It depends on how you do it. If you are stock and unrooted and use the instructions in post 1, you shouldn't lose anything.

If you are rooted with a custom recovery and use instructions in post 2. You will lose data if you wipe data/factory reset. If you don't wipe data/factory reset you won't.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Thanked by:

Thanks Skunk. Couldn't have been easier.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #107  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Patrick View Post
    Thanks Skunk. Couldn't have been easier.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    No problem.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,094 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock - but Rooted

It depends on how you do it. If you are stock and unrooted and use the instructions in post 1, you shouldn't lose anything.

If you are rooted with a custom recovery and use instructions in post 2. You will lose data if you wipe data/factory reset. If you don't wipe data/factory reset you won't.
    Quick question, in your OP you state:
    "Download the following update zip and place it on your external sd. Go to settings/security and make sure unknown sources is unchecked."

Shouldn't this be:
    "Download the following update zip and place it on your external sd. Go to settings/security and make sure unknown sources is unchecked."

Just want to make sure before I take the plunge.

Two questions if you know, (1) I did a non root style "toggle on/off shutter sound tweak" by billard412's because I am completely non-rooted stock - located at this link:

Do you think I will lose this mod? And if I do this MA6 upgrade and happen to lose the shutter sound tweak, is there anything stopping the same tweak on MA6? In other words, will I be able to redo the toggle shutter sound tweak. I would hate to lose that feature because of the MA6 upgrade which seems really minor.

(2) do you think there will be another upgrade to 4.2.x? As I am thinking of rooting but I want to stay as stock as possible. I only need rooting for a few programs.

Thanks So much!
    Samsung Galaxy S3 (tweaked and rooted)
    Samsung Epic 4G (retired rooted backup)
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
    Apple iPad 3 (yes, I have one of those also)
    For all mobile devices

Oh my! I rooted my SGS3!
    Rock Solid and Perfect!

I'm using CWM 5.5.0.4 and I get the Status 7 Installatio aborted.

Do I need something different to install this?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #110  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by sakhari8 View Post
    I'm using CWM 5.5.0.4 and I get the Status 7 Installatio aborted.

Do I need something different to install this?
    Which update method are you using?
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #111  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by mouseglider View Post
    Quick question, in your OP you state:

Shouldn't this be:

Just want to make sure before I take the plunge.

I don't know for sure if it will make a difference either way. On the first gs3 update that came out, the update failed for me until I finally unchecked it. Then it worked. I have left it in the instructions every since. Others have told me that it worked for them leaving it checked...

Two questions if you know, (1) I did a non root style "toggle on/off shutter sound tweak" by billard412's because I am completely non-rooted stock - located at this link:

Do you think I will lose this mod? And if I do this MA6 upgrade and happen to lose the shutter sound tweak, is there anything stopping the same tweak on MA6? In other words, will I be able to redo the toggle shutter sound tweak. I would hate to lose that feature because of the MA6 upgrade which seems really minor.

I have no Idea if the mod will stick through the update. I have never operated an unrooted device since the og epic. It is possible that the update will not work as your phone has been modified. I just don't know... However it will not hurt your phone to try. It will succeed or fail. If it fails, it will do nothing to your phone. Just reboot and you will be fine.

(2) do you think there will be another upgrade to 4.2.x? As I am thinking of rooting but I want to stay as stock as possible. I only need rooting for a few programs.

Thanks So much!
    The gs3 will most likely get updates all the way to KLP (Key Lime Pie). After that I'm not sure.
    Thanked by:
    rando991 likes this.

Which update method are you using?
    If you are Rooted and have custom recovery this is for you.

This is the Full Stock LJ7 Pre-Rooted in a zip file. You would flash these files like you would any other ROM. The Rom and firmware (radio) are 2 separate zips.

1. Download files and put them on you external or internal sdcard.
    2. Wipe cache, wipe dalvik, factory Reset
    3. Flash Firmware
    4. Flash ROM
    5. Reboot

Quote Originally Posted by Ytsejamer1 View Post
    Well, I went ahead and gave it a whirl....here's what I did:
    FYI: I'm running CWM Recovery v6.0.1.2

1. Copy Stock LJ7 to MA6 update to external sdcard...Here's the update file I used: . It was the same exact size as Skunk's first file he posted a link for, just a little different file name with all the numbers taken off. It's about 158MB or so.
    2. Shut off phone. Press volume up, power and home button at the same time and go into your CWM Recovery.
    3. Install update via your copied update zip file from external sdcard. This takes about three to four minutes to fully run.
    4. Once complete, go back and wipe cache directory.
    5. Go to Advanced and then wipe the dalvik cache.
    6. Choose to reboot phone. CWM will warn you that stock recovery has been chosen, do you want to make sure to ignore that change, keeping CWM. Say yes.
    7. CWM will then say that root might be removed, do you want to fix?...say yes.
    8. The phone reboots...you'll see the android is upgrading/optimizing apps and then you're back to your lock screen.
    9. It'll take a bit of time...but my SuperSU was still present and accounted for. Wifi tether worked fine (with encryption), root programs worked without issue, all was good to go.

I tried both of these.

I tried the firmware first and that was the error.

Did not try the odex or deodex. Should I do one of those first?

sakhari8...Skunks method seems to be pretty bulletproof compared to the one I posted. Mine worked great for me and for others on XDA, but not a couple folks here. Maybe it doesn't like the files...or maybe it could be your version of CWM Recovery. I'm on a later version than you are.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #114  
    Retired Ambassador

I tried both of these.

I tried the firmware first and that was the error.

Did not try the odex or deodex. Should I do one of those first?
    Try redownloading the file. It could have been corrupted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ytsejamer1 View Post
    sakhari8...Skunks method seems to be pretty bulletproof compared to the one I posted. Mine worked great for me and for others on XDA, but not a couple folks here. Maybe it doesn't like the files...or maybe it could be your version of CWM Recovery. I'm on a later version than you are.
    Try redownloading the file. It could have been corrupted.
    Sorry I am a dumb---.

I was trying to install "ac3e74a5a71c.update_SPH-L710_LJ7_to_MA6" instead of "Galaxy-S-fre3-MA6FirmwareModemAIO".

All is good now. I don't remember downloading the LJ7 to MA6.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #116  
    Retired Ambassador

Sorry I am a dumb---.

I was trying to install "ac3e74a5a71c.update_SPH-L710_LJ7_to_MA6" instead of "Galaxy-S-fre3-MA6FirmwareModemAIO".

All is good now. I don't remember downloading the LJ7 to MA6.
    Lol... No problem...

ROM
    Myn Warm TwoPointTwo

This will be the way to manually update your phone if you are:

Rooted or Unrooted - Stock Rom with all needed bloatware and Stock recovery.

Download the following update zip and place it on your external sd. Go to settings/security and make sure unknown sources is unchecked.

Shut off phone. Press volume up, power and home button at the same time. As soon as you see a flash, let go of the buttons. This will put you in stock recovery. Using the volume bar to select and power button to activate, select update from external storage. Choose the file you previously put there. Push your power button. Your update will begin.

Thanks for the help...It worked like a charm

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts

updated my 8 day old S3 (not rooted) last night. worked like a charm! thanks for this!!
    Brad

New HTC One M8 on Verizon!!

Skun... what are this update in reference to? I'm rooted with TWR > if you can please assist as to what this update is all about. Thanks much
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #120  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by juniorr7710 View Post
    Skun... what are this update in reference to? I'm rooted with TWR > if you can please assist as to what this update is all about. Thanks much
    Not much...

bug fixes
    Voicemail Update
    3 Digit sms

Another thing, I'm on WS Rom 2.0 > will update apply to my phone or wait on update for that ROM?
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #122  
    Retired Ambassador

Another thing, I'm on WS Rom 2.0 > will update apply to my phone or wait on update for that ROM?
    Dazed is not planning to update his ROM to MA6. There is really nothing to it. This update doesn't do much. Just flash the modem/firmware and the kernel and stay on his ROM. The firmware and kernel will fix the security issues. The ma6 room has issues that I find unacceptable.
    Buddlespit likes this.

Originally Posted by juniorr7710
    Dazed is not planning to update his ROM to MA6. There is really nothing to it. This update doesn't do much. Just flash the modem/firmware and the kernel and stay on his ROM. The firmware and kernel will fix the security issues. The ma6 room has issues that I find unacceptable.
    I flashed WS 2.0 last night. After reading your post I flashed the firmware even though the baseband version ended in MA6. There was no change in the baseband version or kernel. Perhaps Dazed already updated this on WS 2.0. Any ideas?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

There seem to be a few small enhancements: New features in 4.1.2
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

The ma6 room has issues that I find unacceptable.
    What issues? I haven't seen any real issues reported here.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast