Your Way to Update to MA6

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Another thing, I'm on WS Rom 2.0 > will update apply to my phone or wait on update for that ROM?

Dazed is not planning to update his ROM to MA6. There is really nothing to it. This update doesn't do much. Just flash the modem/firmware and the kernel and stay on his ROM. The firmware and kernel will fix the security issues. The ma6 room has issues that I find unacceptable.

Keith Patrick

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Originally Posted by juniorr7710
Another thing, I'm on WS Rom 2.0 > will update apply to my phone or wait on update for that ROM?

Dazed is not planning to update his ROM to MA6. There is really nothing to it. This update doesn't do much. Just flash the modem/firmware and the kernel and stay on his ROM. The firmware and kernel will fix the security issues. The ma6 room has issues that I find unacceptable.

I flashed WS 2.0 last night. After reading your post I flashed the firmware even though the baseband version ended in MA6. There was no change in the baseband version or kernel. Perhaps Dazed already updated this on WS 2.0. Any ideas?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I flashed WS 2.0 last night. After reading your post I flashed the firmware even though the baseband version ended in MA6. There was no change in the baseband version or kernel. Perhaps Dazed already updated this on WS 2.0. Any ideas?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

The baseband will not change when flashing the ROM. The kernel will. The kernel is not included in the baseband. So it will remain unchanged. You will have to flash the kernel separately as when you flashed wicked the kernel that wicked comes with will be flashed. If you have the new kernel the date will be 2013.

toddwilfreeman

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Well, I went ahead and gave it a whirl....here's what I did:
FYI: I'm running CWM Recovery v6.0.1.2

1. Copy Stock LJ7 to MA6 update to external sdcard...Here's the update file I used: Goo.im Downloads - Downloading update_SPH-L710_LJ7_to_MA6.zip. It was the same exact size as Skunk's first file he posted a link for, just a little different file name with all the numbers taken off. It's about 158MB or so.
2. Shut off phone. Press volume up, power and home button at the same time and go into your CWM Recovery.
3. Install update via your copied update zip file from external sdcard. This takes about three to four minutes to fully run.
4. Once complete, go back and wipe cache directory.
5. Go to Advanced and then wipe the dalvik cache.
6. Choose to reboot phone. CWM will warn you that stock recovery has been chosen, do you want to make sure to ignore that change, keeping CWM. Say yes.
7. CWM will then say that root might be removed, do you want to fix?...say yes.
8. The phone reboots...you'll see the android is upgrading/optimizing apps and then you're back to your lock screen.
9. It'll take a bit of time...but my SuperSU was still present and accounted for. Wifi tether worked fine (with encryption), root programs worked without issue, all was good to go.

Oh boy. This did not go over well for me. I got an error at the end of the update process that led to "Installation Aborted" (I believe there was something about "Status 7" in there).

I WAS running CWM 5.x.x, so there's one difference, but otherwise followed the "dirty flash" method exactly as you'd laid it out. I wasn't asked about keeping CWM or Root, so now I have neither. My phone still says 4.1.1, but has updated the baseband version to L710VPBMA6.

Anyone have any advice? Is there any possible way of correcting where I'm at without having to wipe everything? I'd really like to avoid reverting back to the LI3, then having to flash to LJ7, then to MA6, but that is the only solution that is coming to mind to right now. Unless someone had a way for me to get CWM and SU back.. then maybe I could try flashing the full Odex and see what happens..

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Oh boy. This did not go over well for me. I got an error at the end of the update process that led to "Installation Aborted" (I believe there was something about "Status 7" in there).

I WAS running CWM 5.x.x, so there's one difference, but otherwise followed the "dirty flash" method exactly as you'd laid it out. I wasn't asked about keeping CWM or Root, so now I have neither. My phone still says 4.1.1, but has updated the baseband version to L710VPBMA6.

Anyone have any advice? Is there any possible way of correcting where I'm at without having to wipe everything? I'd really like to avoid reverting back to the LI3, then having to flash to LJ7, then to MA6, but that is the only solution that is coming to mind to right now. Unless someone had a way for me to get CWM and SU back.. then maybe I could try flashing the full Odex and see what happens..

Just do the method in post #2. Just skip the step of wiping data.

toddwilfreeman

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Thank you very much for the quick reply

Just do the method in post #2. Just skip the step of wiping data.
If you are Rooted and have custom recovery this is for you.

I no longer seem to be rooted. Superuser is installed, but none of my root applications are working. Plus, it has been reverted to factory recovery, so now when I tried to do that, it failed to verify the signature.

Any further ideas? Would there be a way for me to get CWM back on there to try and do the full flash?

UPDATE: I ended up getting CFROOT to re-root it, and then I was finally able to use ODIN to install TWRP (GooManager kept failing to install it). Took a few whacks to get it to stick, but it finally did. None of the packages (including the LJ7 one I tried) had signatures it liked, so they all failed to pass. So I said screw it, I'm in this far already, might as well give it a shot.. Skipped checking signatures and had TWRP install the FW, then the ROM, and it worked. I have my root back, can close the thirty tabs I have open on my desktop, and sigh deeply! Now, if only I could get the USB drivers to work.. but oh well, at least it works again. Hoping this update improves the phone (particularly the modem/radio), but we'll have to wait and see. Might give 4.2.1 a try, looks kinda nifty. Really just want the phone to pull some more bars out of my spotty reception.. Sprint won't upgrade this city (Tucson, AZ) to 4G for ages, so I have to try something, right?

Thank you Skunkape60 for providing all the info and keeping up with the users on here, much appreciated!

Last edited:

Keith Patrick

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
The baseband will not change when flashing the ROM. The kernel will. The kernel is not included in the baseband. So it will remain unchanged. You will have to flash the kernel separately as when you flashed wicked the kernel that wicked comes with will be flashed. If you have the new kernel the date will be 2013.

OK I understand what you are getting at. I need to try to find the 2013 kernel. Thanks Skunk.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

DaveInFL

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I went the route in the very first post. I was rooted but don't believe I had CWM. Anyway the update went just fine but I no longer have root :( I need root for Titanium backup? Can't for the life of me remember how I got root in the first place. Is this still easy to do in under 4.1.2?

phippsy84

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Did a dirty flash of the modem and ROM and everything seems to be working fine. There was one quirk, which some people on XDA reported, too.

The first several times I tried to boot into download mode (to check the custom binary count before resetting with Triangle Away), it wouldn't go into download. Eventually, it did boot into download, and everything seems fine now.

Thanks again, skunk.

jhill110

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Used method from post 2. All is good. Only thing I lost was the panorama
camera. Allshare dongle update is back. I can't remember how I got rid of it last time.
Thanks for another good job Skunkape!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae