Your Way to Update to MA6

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Not a stupid question. Odex is the way the stock ROM is packaged and built...yes it is the way stock ROMs come from the factory, sts. A developer may repackage the apk files a certain way (Deodex) so he can theme a custom ROM. Most people don't need deodexed versions.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

It's not only themed roms but many common mods also require a deodexed rom.

If you just want a stock rooted Rom but don't flash mods or themes then the odexed if probably your best bet.

kuoirad

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Skunkape - one suggestion to add to the procedure(s) (at least for custom recovery people) - you might explicitly remind them to take a nandroid backup before they start wiping caches and flashing.

mcaples

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Well this worked great...THANK YOU...non-root...no computer...4.1.2!!!...dont really know if anything has changed...we will see

kuoirad

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Do everything but the factory reset. So you still wipe your cache and Dalvik cache, but then you flash the firmware/rom.

Ytsejamer1

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
? here: Is there any way to simply update from rooted stock LJ7 to stock MA6 if you have CWM recovery installed? The only option is flashing an entire full new stock ROM?

I remember updating my stock rooted EVO would be done by simply downloading the OTA to external card, reboot and go into AMON/CWM/etc recovery, flash the OTA file manually which would upgrade, reboot, then reboot into recovery and do a re-root.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
? here: Is there any way to simply update from rooted stock LJ7 to stock MA6 if you have CWM recovery installed? The only option is flashing an entire full new stock ROM?

I remember updating my stock rooted EVO would be done by simply downloading the OTA to external card, reboot and go into AMON/CWM/etc recovery, flash the OTA file manually which would upgrade, reboot, then reboot into recovery and do a re-root.

You can certainly give it a try but really it's pretty darn painless.

phippsy84

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Just want to make sure because I'm rooted. I can just flash the files in the second post using twrp and boom updated to 4.1.2.

nmccart

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
So, why is SpintCare telling me that there have been no new official announcements about any OTA coming to the SGS3?
29niexc.jpg

Ytsejamer1

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
You can certainly give it a try but really it's pretty darn painless.

Well, I went ahead and gave it a whirl....here's what I did:
FYI: I'm running CWM Recovery v6.0.1.2

1. Copy Stock LJ7 to MA6 update to external sdcard...Here's the update file I used: Goo.im Downloads - Downloading update_SPH-L710_LJ7_to_MA6.zip. It was the same exact size as Skunk's first file he posted a link for, just a little different file name with all the numbers taken off. It's about 158MB or so.
2. Shut off phone. Press volume up, power and home button at the same time and go into your CWM Recovery.
3. Install update via your copied update zip file from external sdcard. This takes about three to four minutes to fully run.
4. Once complete, go back and wipe cache directory.
5. Go to Advanced and then wipe the dalvik cache.
6. Choose to reboot phone. CWM will warn you that stock recovery has been chosen, do you want to make sure to ignore that change, keeping CWM. Say yes.
7. CWM will then say that root might be removed, do you want to fix?...say yes.
8. The phone reboots...you'll see the android is upgrading/optimizing apps and then you're back to your lock screen.
9. It'll take a bit of time...but my SuperSU was still present and accounted for. Wifi tether worked fine (with encryption), root programs worked without issue, all was good to go.

Last edited:

gotta have it android

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if i'm missing anything or not, but if i'm rooted with stock rom and CWM, I'll have to reset my whole phone and flash these files? if i do have to do so i can just back up everything i have now and restore without a problem? or could i do this via OTA using the OTA RootKeeper app and no problems should come up?
If you are Rooted and have custom recovery this is for you.

This is the Full Stock LJ7 Pre-Rooted in a zip file. You would flash these files like you would any other ROM. The Rom and firmware (radio) are 2 separate zips.
Please thank freeza in his xda rthread.

1. Download files and put them on you external or internal sdcard.
2. Wipe cache, wipe dalvik, factory Reset
3. Flash Firmware
4. Flash ROM
5. Reboot

MA6 Full Odexed Version

MA6 Full DeOdexed Version

MA6 Firmware

Ytsejamer1

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
See my above post. I was rooted with stock rom and had CWM recovery...as you are. I was hoping to avoid flashing a full rom over the top and having to either do a dirty flash or erase and restore. It looks like the LJ7 to MA6 upgrade works fine with CWM.