Your Way to Update to MA6

gotta have it android

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Must of missed that. Im watcing the video QBKing77 has posted, so far so good How To Manually Update Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 to MA6 OTA - YouTube

UPDATE: seems like what you said is similar to the video, everything so far seems to be working, still rooted (during the process) and everything seems to be booting up fine. I'll post another update once it is finish booting up
UPDATE2: everything works fine
See my above post. I was rooted with stock rom and had CWM recovery...as you are. I was hoping to avoid flashing a full rom over the top and having to either do a dirty flash or erase and restore. It looks like the LJ7 to MA6 upgrade works fine with CWM.

Last edited:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Anyone have any thoughts as to whether this would work with TWRP? I assume it would, as long as TWRP will give you the warnings and options in steps 6 and 7, below.

Well, I went ahead and gave it a whirl....here's what I did:
FYI: I'm running CWM Recovery v6.0.1.2

1. Copy Stock LJ7 to MA6 update to external sdcard...first file Skunk posted. It's about 158MB or so.
2. Shut off phone. Press volume up, power and home button at the same time and go into your CWM Recovery.
3. Install update via your copied update zip file from external sdcard. This takes about three to four minutes to fully run.
4. Once complete, go back and wipe cache directory.
5. Go to Advanced and then wipe the dalvik cache.
6. Choose to reboot phone. CWM will warn you that stock recovery has been chosen, do you want to make sure to ignore that change, keeping CWM. Say yes.
7. CWM will then say that root might be removed, do you want to fix?...say yes.
8. The phone reboots...you'll see the android is upgrading/optimizing apps and then you're back to your lock screen.
9. It'll take a bit of time...but my SuperSU was still present and accounted for. Wifi tether worked fine (with encryption), root programs worked without issue, all was good to go.

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Question: Since I'm running a custom ROM (PACman v19.9) and I just wanna flash the firmware only, should I do a clean install or would a dirty flash be ok??

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I had no problems Skunk's instructions (I'm stock rooted with CWM recovery). I did a dirty flash and everything seems fine, battery useage is normal, CWM and SU are still present. No warnings to fix either.

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I had no problems Skunk's instructions (I'm stock rooted with CWM recovery). I did a dirty flash and everything seems fine, battery useage is normal, CWM and SU are still present. No warnings to fix either.

Sweet, thanks for the info... flashing now!

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Just flash it. No wipes needed for the firmware only.

Too late lol -___-

Just wondering if the MA6 will work with the new Liquid Smooth ROM that just came out today (Android 4.2.2)?! Thanks guys, you are life savers. My phone would DEFINITELY be bricked without you people hahaa.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Too late lol -___-

Just wondering if the MA6 will work with the new Liquid Smooth ROM that just came out today (Android 4.2.2)?! Thanks guys, you are life savers. My phone would DEFINITELY be bricked without you people hahaa.

Firmware (Modem or Radio) is completely independent of your rom and therefore can be run on any rom. They have little to do with each other.

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Firmware (Modem or Radio) is completely independent of your rom and therefore can be run on any rom. They have little to do with each other.

Shoulda went to my go-to site for noobs (such as me).

"The radio / baseband / modem is a firmware that allows your phone to connect to the wireless network. This firmware controls basic low-level functions of your phone like cell-network connectivity, Wi-Fi, and GPS. Oftentimes an updated radio / modem will help with signal strength issues, battery drain and more. The radio / modem firmware is specific to each device and carrier and is flashed via custom recovery."

In all seriousness though, thanks Skunkape. Also I highly recommend that site to anyone who is new to this stuff.

tat21985

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
This is my first time flashing a ROM after rooting, so forgive the noobness, but now that I have flashed this update, will I still get an OTA notification? If so, what would I need to do in order to ignore it?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
This is my first time flashing a ROM after rooting, so forgive the noobness, but now that I have flashed this update, will I still get an OTA notification? If so, what would I need to do in order to ignore it?

You shouldn't get the update notification of you flash the Rom in the 2nd post.

Ytsejamer1

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
only problem i have is that my phone doesnt always get picked up from my computer :/
Yeah, that's annoying to me too. Reboot your computer and the next time you connect your phone, it should be fine. Something tells me that it keeps track of something in the device profile and after the update, it has changed. That's only a guess though.

onslaught460

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I did a dirty flash of the update using the instructions in the second post. I still have my custom recovery, root, and tether still works.

There is one problem. Whenever I use the camera the icons are upside down. Anyone else having this issue?

Edit* it seems like there's something wrong with the gyroscope in the software. It works in games but for apps like video player, YouTube and the camera, it doesn't. Because of this the icons are upside down. And when I take pictures they also show up upside down in he gallery.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batsam