View Poll Results: Will Sprint skip Premium Suite and go right to 4.2?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, all in one package.

14 46.67%
  • No, we will get 2 separate updates.

16 53.33%
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DoesItMatter
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid Smooth [4.2.2]

Default Do you think Sprint skip "Premium Suite" update and go right to 4.2?

Since we just got 4.1.2 today with no Premium Suite features, do you think Sprint will just release everything all at once and put in the Premium Suite features along with Android 4.2?
    Retired Ambassador

Default Re: Do you think Sprint skip "Premium Suite" update and go right to 4.2?

It's just my opinion but I doubt it.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif

ROM
    Rooted Jellybean, CM 7.2

Default Re: Do you think Sprint skip "Premium Suite" update and go right to 4.2?

I had to google search to figure out what all the hype of the Premium Suite was.

I see a lot of issues with the below, such as privacy issues, hacking, and a lot of it seems like bloat.

I don't even know how people have the time to mess with all this stuff.

As for multi-window - I would rather see people paying attention to their environmental surroundings instead of paying attention to their phones
    and getting hit by cars, etc... although Darwinism does have its purpose.

We need a 3rd voting option - Meh

-------------------------------------------

Samsung Unveils Premium Suite Upgrade for the Galaxy S3

Packed with enhanced features to provide an even more effortless and innovative experience

20th December, 2012, London, UK - Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., today announced a Premium Suite upgrade for its flagship smartphone the Galaxy S3, further improving the experience with innovative and even more convenient features.

Samsung is committed to providing customers with the best mobile experience by continuously offering an operating system upgrade for its devices. As part of this effort, Samsung has recently provided the Jelly Bean 4.1 upgrade for the Galaxy S3, and will bring even more enhanced features to the phone through the upcoming Premium Suite upgrade. Consumers around the world have already enjoyed the elegant intelligence that the Galaxy S3 brings to their lives and the Premium Suite package takes this to a higher level.

The Galaxy S3 Premium Suite upgrade will include many of the innovative and productive features newly introduced by the Galaxy Note II:

Multi Window: Effortlessly utilise two different applications side-by-side simultaneously for an ultimate multitasking experience.

Fun and Easy Photo Experience:
    Through Samsung Gallery, view more photos at the same time and also intuitively create and categorise photos and videos
    Exclusive to Samsung, the Paper Artist app offers a variety of fun and creative picture-taking effects. It also provides intuitive emotional photo editing functions such as the brush coloring tool

Group Cast: With Group Cast on the Galaxy S3 and a Wi-Fi network, share and collaborate on documents, presentations or images in real-time with multiple friends or colleagues without loading the file separately. This is now a stand-alone app, rather than part of Allshare Play, making it is easier to access.

Contextual Awareness:
    Smart Rotation: the device detects and recognises the user's face, automatically rotating the screen direction to adjust to the user's face position
    Contextual Tag: tag friends/location/date to the photos/videos/voice memo taken or recorded
    Contextual Page: the device detects when the earphones are plugged in, automatically opening up the music player

Auto Share Shot Pairing using NFC: By setting the camera to 'Auto Share Shot' mode, quickly share photos and videos by simply tapping the Galaxy S3 with other NFC and S-Beam enabled devices.

Camera Enhancements:
    With the new 'Best Face' feature, an improved version of the previous Best Photo feature, choose from five continuous shots the best face of each person in the photo, to create an image that satisfies everyone
    Low light mode is added to allow bright and sharp photos to be captured even in dark places
    Capture amazing scenery by using Panorama mode, now expanded to 340~360-degree

Other advanced and convenient features on the Galaxy S3.
    Continuous Input: Using one continuous finger/stylus motion across the keyboard, users can type words faster and easier
    AllShare Cast: Wirelessly connect the Galaxy S3 to the television to immediately transfer smartphone content onto a larger display
    Smart Dock: TouchWiz interface allows people to adjust the phone setting to automatically switch to a relevant UI when a device is connected to the docking station
    Improved touch response: Enjoy even faster and smoother touch response on the Galaxy S3
    S Beam: By simply touching another S Beam-enabled device including Galaxy Note II and Galaxy S3 mini, the Galaxy S3 allows a 1GB movie file to be shared within three minutes and a 10MB music file within two seconds, even without a Wi-Fi or cellular signal
    Soylent Green Is People!
    Sprint - Samsung Galaxy S3 --- Rooted, Tweaked, & Obfuscated
    Jellybomb Domination 20.7.0 with all bloat removed - Philz Touch Recovery 6.0
    KToons 11/4/13 TW Kernel -- MK3 Modem/Radio -- PRL 25016
    jennysmate likes this.

Global Posts
    247 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 3.0.31-329968

I really don't need you telling me what to do. I already have the government for that.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid Smooth [4.2.2]

Quote Originally Posted by milliman View Post
    I really don't need you telling me what to do. I already have the government for that.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    What in the world does this have to do with the OP lol...........

Is there a reason why I dont have 4.1.2 Ive been doing the manuall update and it tells me im up to date

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by wess580 View Post
    Is there a reason why I dont have 4.1.2 Ive been doing the manuall update and it tells me im up to date

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    Doing the manual update only works if you have received the update from Sprint but decided to wait until later to install. You still have to wait for the update to be pushed to your phone. It can take one to two weeks as it goes out in waves.

Your android version of 4.1.1 may not even change. Most likely it will remain 4.1.1 as this is not the premium update but just a bug fix. The only thing likely to change is you firmware and kernel. It should change to MA6.

Edit: From what I'm told, it does update android version to 4.1.2
    Last edited by Skunkape60; 02-14-2013 at 01:31 PM.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif

Global Posts
    637 Global Posts

No OTA here...no root...no computer...just Skunkape60's file and instructions...4.1.2...camera and video changes is all I noticed...since it was not the sweet Suite (LOL) MAYHAPS Sprint will give us 4.2 soon...SPECULATION***..MAYBE when the S4 comes out??????...but WHENEVER...had my S3 since Dec and got MINOR update on Sprint...had my Dinc2 on VZW for 18 months and NO update...and there you have it

So this new update will bring us to 4.1.2 but with no premium update?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid Smooth [4.2.2]

Quote Originally Posted by mak916 View Post
    So this new update will bring us to 4.1.2 but with no premium update?

That's not right! I won't be in a hurry to update.

Here's what I think.
    1- Their entire development team is probably working 24/7 to launch the S4. The S4 is the "Next Big Thing" and will be their new flagship. It will bring in a lot more money, street cred, and market share. What will giving you an Android upgrade do for Samsung? Not a ing thing. If you ran a big company, would you spend your time and money on upgrading something you already sold, or getting the next thing you're about to sell, ready? They GOT YOUR MONEY ALREADY. They don't owe you , and have never promised any upgrades.

2- It could also be part of their strategy. How do you make the S4 seems as amazing and gotta-have-it life changing as possible? Distance yourself from the last thing. They obviously don't want the S3 to seem any better, because then fewer people will buy the S4. So they hold off on the upgrades until a few months after the S4 launch.

3- They know how picky and whiny us Americans are. Just look how Micro$oft was eviscerated by users in the 90s for putting out one bug-ridden OS after another, none of which were well tested. Sammy has likely made that mistake before. So they use the whole rest of the world as guinea pigs. Only after most of the biggest bugs and issues have been ironed out, will we get the most polished version. They have a lot more to lose by putting out a flawed update than releasing it later than we hoped. Fewer complaints in the long run, less criticism for them.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid Smooth [4.2.2]

Quote Originally Posted by fluxeternal View Post
    Here's what I think.
    1- Their entire development team is probably working 24/7 to launch the S4. The S4 is the "Next Big Thing" and will be their new flagship. It will bring in a lot more money, street cred, and market share. What will giving you an Android upgrade do for Samsung? Not a ing thing. If you ran a big company, would you spend your time and money on upgrading something you already sold, or getting the next thing you're about to sell, ready? They GOT YOUR MONEY ALREADY. They don't owe you , and have never promised any upgrades.

2- It could also be part of their strategy. How do you make the S4 seems as amazing and gotta-have-it life changing as possible? Distance yourself from the last thing. They obviously don't want the S3 to seem any better, because then fewer people will buy the S4. So they hold off on the upgrades until a few months after the S4 launch.

3- They know how picky and whiny us Americans are. Just look how Micro$oft was eviscerated by users in the 90s for putting out one bug-ridden OS after another, none of which were well tested. Sammy has likely made that mistake before. So they use the whole rest of the world as guinea pigs. Only after most of the biggest bugs and issues have been ironed out, will we get the most polished version. They have a lot more to lose by putting out a flawed update than releasing it later than we hoped. Fewer complaints in the long run, less criticism for them.
    I understand that, but you do realize the S3 hasn't even been out for a year yet right? I bet we get 4.2 (whether with or without premium suite; doesn't really matter to me) and I'm willing to say that there's a 90% chance we get Key Lime Pie.

flux, your logic does make some sense, and I wouldn't be surprised if many manufacturers make exactly that calculation. But in this case I think it's wrong, because Samsung has already rolled out the Premium Suite to most of the world. The lack of P.S. in the US seems more to do with carrier decisions than Samsung's.

It's also possible, though, that since US versions use a different processor than the rest of the world it's taking Samsung longer to debug that version.

I don't much care whether we get P.S. or not. Most of the features don't do a lot for me. But Samsung has already shown a willingness to include it on the S3. And they're updating the S2 to Jelly Bean even though it's much older; I think that bodes well for an eventual update of the S3 to KLP.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3