New features in 4.1.2

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Doesn't seem to have impacted mine. I'm at 15 hrs and 40 minutes since taking it off the charger this morning, and have 30% left.

The one thing I do notice is that maps, Gmail and Exchange Services seem to be using a higher percentage of battery than I've seen before. I'll have to keep an eye on that. Words Free has also used a large percentage. I wonder if these changes reflect a lower overall percentage for Android itself.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Here's a stupid question that maybe you can answer. I am perfectly happy with 4.1.1, as 4.1.2 seems to have eliminated things that I like that I liked, i.e. bezel zoom. With that being said, I remember from my old epic 4g w/Keyboard days if an OTA came , you had to do the update, although there was an app you could DL called something like "fota kill"? to stop the the reminder pop up to update.

If I root therefore making my phone not being able to update, I wonder if I would continue to get the OTA update popup reminder like I did in the past. A little premature since I have not gotten the OTA, but thought I would ask what your thoughts were.

Yes, I am one of the few that would prefer to skip some updates, or only do the updates I want, especially if everything works perfectly now - if its not broke, don't fix it mentality.
I went into the Google framework services app and I unclicked show notifications. I still get notifications. But not as often. It was something like every time I unlocked the phone. Now it's once, maybe twice a day.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I just noticed the Contacts app now has an option to set a message alert tone for each individual contact. I've been using Handcent for that functionality, but if you use the stock messaging app this is a nice addition.

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I haven't noticed anything different...is the s3 slated to get an official update to 4.2.1, or is that going to be s4 only?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I just noticed the Contacts app now has an option to set a message alert tone for each individual contact. I've been using Handcent for that functionality, but if you use the stock messaging app this is a nice addition.

Hasn't that option has been around since at least Gingerbread?

Sent from the AWESOME Note 2 of a girl :)

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Personally, I'm not terribly upset about the lack of Premium Suite. I don't think I'd make any real use of mutli-window on a screen as small as the GS3's. We DID get the camera upgrades in the Sprint 4.1.2 update, and if you really want a better gallery app there are plenty of them in the play store.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I'm not terribly upset about the lack of Premium Suite. I don't think I'd make any real use of mutli-window on a screen as small as the GS3's. We DID get the camera upgrades in the Sprint 4.1.2 update, and if you really want a better gallery app there are plenty of them in the play store.

We didn't get photo sphere at AT&T but something elsecalled Orb is supposed to be coming. I never use multi tab.

Sent from the AWESOME Note 2 of a girl :)

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site

A good gallery app that is fast is "QuickPic"

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
We didn't get photo sphere at AT&T but something elsecalled Orb is supposed to be coming. I never use multi tab.

Photosphere hasn't been part of any version of 4.1.2, and it isn't part of Premium Suite. Photosphere is part of Android 4.2 on Nexus devices. But Photosphere isn't open source and may not be included in any non-Nexus devices, even if those that get 4.2.

buffdaddy72

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I really don't see why Sprint would not rollout the premium suite upgrade. They've already sold a ton of SIIIs and locked people into 2 year contracts so I don't see the logic of holding it back. They've been pretty good at rolling out updates, so I'm at least hoping they won't make the boneheaded decision of not doing it.

If anything they run the risk of further alienating their customers who have been patiently waiting for Network Vision to light up in their neck of the woods.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Since we just got an update and the S4 is around the corner, my bet is that "if" Sprint does release 4.2.1 for our S3 it won't be until after the S4 is released.

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Since we just got an update and the S4 is around the corner, my bet is that "if" Sprint does release 4.2.1 for our S3 it won't be until after the S4 is released.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

I agree, they're probably waiting for the S4 to drop. Then roll it out for the S3. If they don't they better have a darn good explanation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton