1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    833 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid Smooth [4.2.2]

Default Stupid Media bug...

To prevent the stupid battery drain can I disable media? If so what effects will it have on my phone? Thanks to anyone that can help.

UPDATE (2/20/13): So I have "DRM Protected Content" and "Media Storage" disabled and the media bug is still eating up 16% of my battery... this is really grinding my gears lol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stupid Media bug...-uploadfromtaptalk1360960916554.jpg   Stupid Media bug...-uploadfromtaptalk1360960927342.jpg   Stupid Media bug...-uploadfromtaptalk1360960938917.jpg  
    Last edited by Joe113; 02-20-2013 at 10:34 AM.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Global Posts
    833 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid Smooth [4.2.2]

Default Re: Can I disable "Media"?

85 views and nothing

ROM
    Stock/Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by Joe113 View Post
    85 views and nothing
    Joe, over on XDA I once found a post about this discussing the possibility that it was a bad or blank picture somewhere in your gallery. Deleting those and still having the problem could mean another corrupted file somewhere which could require a factory reset to clear. But I also remember that the underscore "_" in any filename would cause the media to overscan the files (most files like this are how our camera names them). Other problem areas could be the blobs folder in CWM nandroid backups. I just know I've had bad experiences freezing Media storage because things like being able to change ringtones is affected. The first thing I would do is search for any corrupt pictures and delete them, then if that doesn't work, try removing the sd card (copy to pc first) and then reformat it. Last chance maybe to factory reset. Unless anyone else has any other suggestions...
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    833 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid Smooth [4.2.2]

Quote Originally Posted by rando991 View Post
    Joe, over on XDA I once found a post about this discussing the possibility that it was a bad or blank picture somewhere in your gallery. Deleting those and still having the problem could mean another corrupted file somewhere which could require a factory reset to clear. But I also remember that the underscore "_" in any filename would cause the media to overscan the files (most files like this are how our camera names them). Other problem areas could be the blobs folder in CWM nandroid backups. I just know I've had bad experiences freezing Media storage because things like being able to change ringtones is affected. The first thing I would do is search for any corrupt pictures and delete them, then if that doesn't work, try removing the sd card (copy to pc first) and then reformat it. Last chance maybe to factory reset. Unless anyone else has any other suggestions...
    Crappp.... does clearing cache/data for media delete all my pics? Cause now my gallery is empty. -___x

UPDATE: Ok, now my pics and stuff randomly reappeared lol... deleted all my nandroid backups (only had 2 of em) and a few pics that were just blacked out and the media bug seems to be slowing down A LOT. Down to 20% battery usage and still falling. Hopefully it will correct itself sooner rather than later.
    Last edited by Joe113; 02-15-2013 at 06:39 PM.

ROM
    Stock/Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by Joe113 View Post
    Crappp.... does clearing cache/data for media delete all my pics? Cause now my gallery is empty. -___x

UPDATE: Ok, now my pics and stuff randomly reappeared lol... deleted all my nandroid backups (only had 2 of em) and a few pics that were just blacked out and the media bug seems to be slowing down A LOT. Down to 20% battery usage and still falling. Hopefully it will correct itself sooner rather than later.
    Well I think when you clear cache and data all you are losing is the gallery thumbnails, not the actual pics. Not even the factory reset is supposed to do that. I may have to start deleting some nandroids too btw.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    833 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid Smooth [4.2.2]

Well I think when you clear cache and data all you are losing is the gallery thumbnails, not the actual pics. Not even the factory reset is supposed to do that. I may have to start deleting some nandroids too btw.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Also I installed KT747 kernel and my battery seems like it's going back to normal..... hopefully it stays that way.

ROM
    Stock/Rooted

Several things I froze that deal with media are DRM service, Media Hub, Music and Game Hub. I don't know if they will cause the above problems but they seemed to in the Epic4G and I don't use them now either, so I'm just keeping them frozen for now.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    833 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid Smooth [4.2.2]

Several things I froze that deal with media are DRM service, Media Hub, Music and Game Hub. I don't know if they will cause the above problems but they seemed to in the Epic4G and I don't use them now either, so I'm just keeping them frozen for now.
    Well I don't have Media/Music/Game hub because I'm on a custom (non TouchWiz) ROM. At least I'm pretty sure I don't have em lol.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    833 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid Smooth [4.2.2]

So I have "DRM Protected Content" and "Media Storage" disabled and the media bug is still eating up 16% of my battery... this is really grinding my gears lol.

I finally just factory reset my phone. It has fixed the issue, for me. Originally, removing the SD card worked, but about a two weeks ago Media was back to draining my battery. I removed all photos, music, and any other files, but nothing could stop it. I am not sure what file was the issue, but the factory reset worked.