Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Do you always have GPS on?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes- I have it on always no matter what.

21 61.76%
  • No- I only turn it on when I need it.

13 38.24%
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By scipio11111
  • 1 Post By meyerweb
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    ROM
    R.D.D.T ND2 v1

Default Do you always keep GPS on?

Do you always keep GPS on and do you think it truly wastes battery when turned on? I am debating on whether or not to always keep it on, wanna know what ya'll think.

Default Re: Do you always keep GPS on?

No clue if it affects battery but I only have it on when needed since I don't GPS all the time.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

ROM
    CM10

I keep it on all the time, along with LTE and NFC, and I get, on average, 20 hours of life with about 2 and a half hours screen on time.

Nope, only when using sensorly or ingress

Sent from my Samsung galaxy s3 running AOKP 4.2.2

No,you did not misread that

I leave it on so that it's ready when I want to use an app that requires it, like Nav. I don't see it impacting battery at all except when I'm using something like Navigation.

Many location services WILL use the GPS, though, so I have most of those turned off.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.

Nah, all my devices rooted or stock I've always taken the moment to toggle it on and off as needed.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

Nope. Though I do have a profile in Tasker that turns GPS on when I enter certain apps (Like google maps)
    Did I help you at all? Return the favor by giving me a "thanks"
    LG Rumor -> LG Rumor Touch -> LG Optimus S (Cyanogenmod 7.2 on 2.3.5) -> Samsung Galaxy S3 (MK3 Barebones on 4.3) -> LG Nexus 5 (Carbon Nightlies on 4.4.2)
    Thanked by:

I just leave it on. Toggling is a waste of time and leaving it off didn't save my battery any when I tried.

ROM
    Stock/Rooted

I keep mine on all the time. I used to always turn it off when I had the Epic, but later left it on and couldn't tell a difference.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Okay, just about every article on how to save battery life says to keep gps turned off until you need it. Is this an urban legend or what? Oh Skunkape, where are you?!
    Joe113 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by scipio11111 View Post
    Okay, just about every article on how to save battery life says to keep gps turned off until you need it. Is this an urban legend or what? Oh Skunkape, where are you?!
    On older versions of Android, it was true. On JB (and I believe ICS), the OS itself will turn the GPS antenna on and off as necessary. See post #4 in this thread:

SGSIII / General Android Battery Tips (Can triple battery life!) | Updated 8/27/12 - xda-developers
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.
    spork27 likes this.

ROM
    CM10

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    On older versions of Android, it was true. On JB (and I believe ICS), the OS itself will turn the GPS antenna on and off as necessary. See post #4 in this thread:

SGSIII / General Android Battery Tips (Can triple battery life!) | Updated 8/27/12 - xda-developers
    That, plus the fact that the newer SoCs are just generally more power efficient helps a lot. Pretty soon, even actively using GPS will draw minimal current. New technology is awesome.