Your Way to Update to MB1

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking for the firmware download and the only links working for post 2 lead to the XDA site. The other links are dead ends again.

thanks

He keeps moving the links. I'll try to get them when I get off work.

Links for Odex and DeOdexed have been updated. Firmware/modem link is good but server is currently unavailable. I will see if I can find it elsewhere.

Last edited:

pjacobs76

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Is this a stock MB1 ROM, and will it prompt me to install any future OTA updates when they become available, or is it like other custom ROM's? Also, which is better, odex or deodex? I am on stock LJ7 with custom recovery right now.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Is this a stock MB1 ROM, and will it prompt me to install any future OTA updates when they become available, or is it like other custom ROM's? Also, which is better, odex or deodex? I am on stock LJ7 with custom recovery right now.

If you are rooted and have custom recovery it is the best way to update to mb1. The ROM in post#2 ROM is stock rooted (just like you are now) and you will still have custom recovery. You will no longer receive the notification for the MB1 update but WILL still receive update notifications for any future updates.

However, as long as you have custom recovery you will not be able to load the ota that is pushed to your phone. You will have to install the update the same way as you are doing now. So it's not an issue.

Most mods require a deodexed ROM. If you plan on installing any mods then deodexed is best. If not then odexed is the way to go.

By the way... everyone gets the ota update notification even if you have a custom ROM. At least the TW ones do.

Weazrbmxr

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Sorry this took so long. Had a little emergency out of town...

This will be the way to manually update your phone if you are:

Rooted or Unrooted - Stock Rom with all needed bloatware and Stock recovery. Note: You must be current and have MA6 on your phone before using the update file.

Download the following update zip and place it on your external sd. Go to settings/security and make sure unknown sources is unchecked. This may be unnecessary.

Shut off phone. Press volume up, power and home button at the same time. As soon as you see a flash, let go of the buttons. This will put you in stock recovery. Using the volume bar to select and power button to activate, select update from external storage. Choose the file you previously put there. Push your power button. Your update will begin.

Update zip is here.

So I need to do this, sprint keeps trying to push the update to me, and it keeps failing once I try and flash it in CWM. But my question is: what is MA6? Since i don't know what it is, I know i've never put it on my phone. But how do I get it? Cause apparently this won't work for me until I'm at that level, right? So, I'm currently at 4.1.1 on the LJ7 build, I need to update to the MB1 build. I just download this .zip, and follow these instructions?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys give me, and a BIG mahalo to SkunkApe60 for all his awesome posts. You've really helped me out with my S3!!!

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
So I need to do this, sprint keeps trying to push the update to me, and it keeps failing once I try and flash it in CWM. But my question is: what is MA6? Since i don't know what it is, I know i've never put it on my phone. But how do I get it? Cause apparently this won't work for me until I'm at that level, right? So, I'm currently at 4.1.1 on the LJ7 build, I need to update to the MB1 build. I just download this .zip, and follow these instructions?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys give me, and a BIG mahalo to SkunkApe60 for all his awesome posts. You've really helped me out with my S3!!!

Why did you stop reading at the 1st post. ;)

Go to post #2 and follow the directions there. It is for folks like us with rooted phones and custom recovery. Since it is a full ROM and not an update, you can use this no matter what version you are currently on. Very easy....

Weazrbmxr

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Why did you stop reading at the 1st post. ;)

Go to post #2 and follow the directions there. It is for folks like us with rooted phones and custom recovery. Since it is a full ROM and not an update, you can use this no matter what version you are currently on. Very easy....

Oh. Well now, that was easy. I hate being out of my element in here, I'm a network admin but this superphone stuff is still a bit over my head. Thanks again as always Skunk.

I do have 1 more question: if i happen to softbrick my phone again(twice now), i can just flash this zip file? And get back to stock, then just run my restores, right? I like having a full restorable zip on my sd card at all times. So I'll still be able to fully restore my bricked phone with just these files you gave us, correct?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Oh. Well now, that was easy. I hate being out of my element in here, I'm a network admin but this superphone stuff is still a bit over my head. Thanks again as always Skunk.

I do have 1 more question: if i happen to softbrick my phone again(twice now), i can just flash this zip file? And get back to stock, then just run my restores, right? I like having a full restorable zip on my sd card at all times. So I'll still be able to fully restore my bricked phone with just these files you gave us, correct?

Well.... Not exactly, it may get you out of some trouble. As long as you can get into download or Odin mode there is a good chance you can fix most any software issue that wasn't caused by flashing a different carriers ROM on your phone. And yes, there is a guide for that. ;)

Another good precaution that many people forget is the nandroid back up. As long as you have a good nandroid backup, I wouldn't worry too much about having the stock ROM on your phone. Nandroid backups are the ??^*. :D

Weazrbmxr

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Ok cool, thanks again man. I just downloaded nandroid, so time to go get that started. I've been using titanium, so i enjoy new options. And thank you as always for your time and extensive knowledge, and helping out us rookies. Many many mahalo's!!

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
You don't need to "download" nandroid. Use the backup option in CWM to do create your nandroid backup.

Actually, using a "nandroid app" may be a bad idea. You know you'll be able to restore the backup using CWM, which is already on your phone. Who knows if you'll be able to rely on that app in the future.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
You don't need to "download" nandroid. Use the backup option in CWM to do create your nandroid backup.

Actually, using a "nandroid app" may be a bad idea. You know you'll be able to restore the backup using CWM, which is already on your phone. Who knows if you'll be able to rely on that app in the future.

You are as right as rain. Say your phone won't start. What is the use of that backup now. Recovery backups are always the best backups.

Weazrbmxr

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I meant to type online nandroid, i knew it was built into clockwork, i just don't want to reboot 5 times in a row to check the files integrity and make sure my phone still works. But thank you for looking out, atleast someone cares!

But I'm back with 1 more small question. Before i flashed this, my "email" app was black/inverted. Not my "gmail" app but "email", i don't know how it got inverted, but i loved it, rellay saved on battery too. Does anyone know how i ended up getting it inverted? Like i said it was just there one day, no zip flashes, no mods, no custom roms(I'm still stock touchwiz). And now I'm back to stock white, any suggestions? I found and tried flashing a modded black gmail app last night, but it didn't do anything, it's still white(BORING!).

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Ah HAH! Here's one I can answer, because I went through a similar situation. See this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/252857-solved-email-app-background-color.html

Most likely you previously edited the features.xml file, and didn't reset the attributes afterward. If you still have any questions after reading that thread, just let me know.

Meyerweb, I just read your link and I'm new to ES Explorer (used to use Root Explorer), and by changing permissions back to rw-r-r, do you mean in ES settings/root settings/mount file system?
Do you mean the box has to be unchecked before you reboot? In root explorer there was a button at the top that you changed the status on. I'm not sure if I understand ES correctly, cause I didn't see the same type of button in it. To confirm, changing back to rw-r-r is a setting in ES and not the actual features file right?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Ez Duzit

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Meyerweb, I just read your link and I'm new to ES Explorer (used to use Root Explorer), and by changing permissions back to rw-r-r, do you mean in ES settings/root settings/mount file system?
Do you mean the box has to be unchecked before you reboot? In root explorer there was a button at the top that you changed the status on. I'm not sure if I understand ES correctly, cause I didn't see the same type of button in it. To confirm, changing back to rw-r-r is a setting in ES and not the actual features file right?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Not Meyerweb but I think this is what u want. To change permissions of a file using ES file explorer, long press the file you're working with and and scroll to the bottom of the menu that pops up. Select properties. Now you should see the change permissions button.

jordo487

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Then you have custom recovery. The method for you is in post #2.

Sorry I have been busy and haven't been able to finish my questioning from a few days ago. Is there a link somewhere I can read or can you explain how to/what they do in steps 2 (Wipe cache, wipe dalvik, factory Reset). Are these 3 steps ALWAYS required when updating from root and if so will I lose everything on my phone every time I do the factory reset? I just haven't gone through this process at all, so just trying to understand everything. My last question is do I use the Odexed or Deodexed file? Thanks.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Sorry I have been busy and haven't been able to finish my questioning from a few days ago. Is there a link somewhere I can read or can you explain how to/what they do in steps 2 (Wipe cache, wipe dalvik, factory Reset). Are these 3 steps ALWAYS required when updating from root and if so will I lose everything on my phone every time I do the factory reset? I just haven't gone through this process at all, so just trying to understand everything. My last question is do I use the Odexed or Deodexed file? Thanks.

What custom recovery do you have? Those 3 steps take less than 30 seconds to perform. The only step you can skip is most likely the factory reset. But if you are having issues you can go back and do the factory reset later. As long as you don't do the factory reset you won't lose any data.

You don't sound like the type to install a bunch of mods so I would suggest the Odexed version.

Weazrbmxr

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Ah HAH! Here's one I can answer, because I went through a similar situation. See this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/252857-solved-email-app-background-color.html

Most likely you previously edited the features.xml file, and didn't reset the attributes afterward. If you still have any questions after reading that thread, just let me know.

Booyah! You are the man, i totally forgot that I tweaked that file for the exact same 2 reasons you did! And since i flashed, it reset that file, thanks again man. I changed the value of that default bg color, so hopefully that will give me something too, but i can never get the shutter sound option to appear.

jordo487

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
What custom recovery do you have? Those 3 steps take less than 30 seconds to perform. The only step you can skip is most likely the factory reset. But if you are having issues you can go back and do the factory reset later. As long as you don't do the factory reset you won't lose any data.

You don't sound like the type to install a bunch of mods so I would suggest the Odexed version.

I have custom recovery and no I do not have any mods on here yet. I went crazy with the Palm Pre and WebOS :p But my modding knowledge is not to that point yet with Android yet and I rather walk the careful line (as I use my phone for work too), until I get my head around everything and dive in deep to start playing around. What do I need to do for those quick steps then? Thanks!

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I have custom recovery and no I do not have any mods on here yet. I went crazy with the Palm Pre and WebOS :p But my modding knowledge is not to that point yet with Android yet and I rather walk the careful line (as I use my phone for work too), until I get my head around everything and dive in deep to start playing around. What do I need to do for those quick steps then? Thanks!

Look at the following thread and if you still have questions come back here and ask. But I think if you read this you will be fine.

How to Flash In Custom Recovery