Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Skunkape60
  • 1 Post By meyerweb
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Factory reset

Is it a good idea to factory reset your phone every once in a great while? Just to clean it up.

Sent from my Galaxy Slll using TapaTalk!

Default Re: Factory reset

I would say yes and no. Yes because some apps you download will create folders and cache in your phone's story random when you delete or uninstall the app, that stuff does do not get deleted with it so it takes up space. Probably not an enormous amount of space but crap will add up. And no because even though you back up and restore after a factory reset, app data is not restored and if you have accounts within an app or saved game data, it will be gone or you'll have to add all your info again. That is a task if you have a lot of stuff in your phone. At least it is for me. I did a factory reset the other day after an update and it reminded me why I hate it so much. If your phone is not loaded with stuff then factory resets aren't that bad but getting your phone the exact way you had it before your did the reset will take time.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Retired Ambassador

Many apps will save your setups for you as well as data. Nova launcher will save your home screen settings for you and if rooted many of the backup programs such as titanium backup pro will save even your data. But the point of doing a factory reset is to clean out the old data. I can do a factory reset and have my phone completely back to the exact way it was before, in a matter of minutes but what's the point of resetting your phone just throw the same old crap back on it. I kind of defeats the purpose. I normally only restore data back to select items like my checkbook where the history is important.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Thanked by:
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.

Well you're rooted so I'm sure it's way easier for you. Mine takes a while stock

I am Samsungma Bin Laden, Leader of the Android taliban. I will blow up 1000 iPhones to prove my loyalty to Android

Personally, I would only do a factory reset if my phone was acting up; getting sluggish, crashing, or displaying other kinds of weirdness.

If a specific app is getting flaky, go into the Application manager and clear that app's cache, and if necessary data, and restart the phone.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

ROM
    Eclipse 2.0

welp you have chattered about doing a factory reset but left everyone in the dark as to where to get that odin file from

Quote Originally Posted by papa54 View Post
    welp you have chattered about doing a factory reset but left everyone in the dark as to where to get that odin file from
    Simply type "odin" without the quotes in google and you get this:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

The only reason I'm considering it is my phone is running some what slow at times.

Quote Originally Posted by papa54 View Post
    You don't need Odin to do a factory reset.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

ROM
    Eclipse 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by weston87 View Post
    The only reason I'm considering it is my phone is running some what slow at times.

Don`t do as i did and read a post begining stating how to go back to stock. i did that and ended up in a brick.. no way to see into my GS3.. but when i went to verizon at wally world the lady called and there was talk of fixing my phone etc etc and finally she talked to a Geek who sent me to a page that walked me right thru each step to bring my Galaxy s3 back from the dead.. it was easy as pie... i saw something similar somewhere between here and xda but the words administrator never came up. this was easier than changing ROMs..

now the only thing i forgot was how to root this beast and have CWM also... but its here somewhere.. have a great day... i am so relieved to have brought my SGS3 back from the dead...

Global Posts
    13,957 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

I would say factory resets are last ditch efforts to fix problems on phones. It would be far better to clear the cache of the app than do a factory reset. There are even cleaner apps on Play for free that will do that simultaneously. I use Clean Master, and it works wonderfully. If you delete and app, it will clean files left behind.