Since latest update my GS3 randomly vibrates for no reason

sinisin

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Having same issue running MOAR v4.01. I have removed Samsung Account bloat from system so no go on that for sure. Never had a problem until MD4. It only happens with screen on and nothing shows on screen or in notifications. All of my haptic is turned off except call and text notification. Like always. Also dont use any of the motions either. I'm thinking it's an app or a setting maybe? Or maybe it's a random flash bug. It's sure annoying.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Having same issue running MOAR v4.01. I have removed Samsung Account bloat from system so no go on that for sure. Never had a problem until MD4. It only happens with screen on and nothing shows on screen or in notifications. All of my haptic is turned off except call and text notification. Like always. Also dont use any of the motions either. I'm thinking it's an app or a setting maybe? Or maybe it's a random flash bug. It's sure annoying.

And it's not "bugreport" or "bugmailer.sh"?

Sent from my HTC Vivid Borked using Android Central Forums

jfitts75

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Could be a bad cable, there is a short vibration when it connects /disconnects to charge. Try using another usb cable.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I don't have to be plugged in for it to happen.

For anyone with the random vibration problem, are you rooted an using a custom Kernel? I've seen a couple of reports of this happening with the KT kernal. If you're using a non-standard kernel, try flashing the stock kernel and see what happens.

fjitb

May 26, 2010
Visit site
For anyone with the random vibration problem, are you rooted an using a custom Kernel? I've seen a couple of reports of this happening with the KT kernal. If you're using a non-standard kernel, try flashing the stock kernel and see what happens.

I don't root my phone, but thanks for the advice :) I've done a factory reset since my last update and I've carefully gone through all my settings and I just dont get it. I'm feeling I'm missing something I just don't know what.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I agree, this is very strange. I've looked through all the options on my phone and don't see anything that seems likely to do this if set the right (or wrong) way.

Does it occur randomly, or does it seem to be on some kind of timer (e.g., every 30 minutes)? After you did the reset, did it happen even before you installed any apps?

fjitb

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I agree, this is very strange. I've looked through all the options on my phone and don't see anything that seems likely to do this if set the right (or wrong) way.

Does it occur randomly, or does it seem to be on some kind of timer (e.g., every 30 minutes)? After you did the reset, did it happen even before you installed any apps?
This phone has done this since the MB1 update. I got tired of it and took some advice on here and did a factory reset. I started installing apps right away, so not sure if it happend before.
It just did it a few seconds ago as I was deleting some of my most recently opened apps. It does it when I log out of Instagram, Facebook, Google Now or it doesn't. I can have the phone in my pocket and feel the vibration and there are no notifications. I set the phone down and it does it, but not every time.
It's very random, but I will start timing them.
Perhaps MD4 will correct this. Thanks again for your advice :)

cadmac

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I had exactly the same problem, random vibrations but no notifications. Its driven me mad! I thought I'd sorted it by deleting the samsung account, but no...I've just had another vibration. What I think it may be is the wifi. It doesn't vibrate when I have wifi turned off. At home I turned wifi on, connected to home...all fine. Then I sat in the garden and the vibrating began, so I wonder if the vibration is to notify me of a hotspot (or wifi dropping out).

Last edited:

fjitb

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I had exactly the same problem, random vibrations but no notifications. Its driven me mad! I thought I'd sorted it by deleting the samsung account, but no...I've just had another vibration. What I think it may be is the wifi. It doesn't vibrate when I have wifi turned off. At home I turned wifi on, connected to home...all fine. Then I sat in the garden and the vibrating began, so I wonder if the vibration is to notify me of a hotspot (or wifi dropping out).

Interesting theory, will have to test this, this coming weekend! Thanks for sharing your experiences!

fjitb

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Just tried this out, switched from WiFi to 4G and about 2 minutes later the damn phone vibrates again for no apparent reason :(

fjitb

May 26, 2010
Visit site
In Advanced settings for WiFi, do you have Check for Internet servce or Network notification checked?

I didn't even know this existed and yes the Network Notifications was checked, so I unchecked it. The other setting was not checked. Hope this works...

fjitb

May 26, 2010
Visit site
LOL. Sorry, but it's almost funny. (Not to you, I understand.) Were this morning's vibrations related to going into or out of WiFi?

It's becoming quite amusing I must admit myself :D. I've been on WiFi at home all day today. So the first time I was deleting recently opened apps, second time I had just logged out of fb, and the third time the phone was just laying on my desk and did it. We'll see how this progresses today...thx again for all of your suggestions!

fjitb

May 26, 2010
Visit site
LOL. Sorry, but it's almost funny. (Not to you, I understand.) Were this morning's vibrations related to going into or out of WiFi?
So yesterday I decided to take my phone off of vibrate only and turn up the volume a bit to see what would happen. Well nothing happened, no ramdom vibrations, no random pops, knocks, rings, or noises of any kind, not a damn thing out of the ordinary. So today I put my phone back on vibrate only and 20 minutes or so later a random vibration happens for no apparent reason. My phone is possessed and needs an exorcism I'm thinking...

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
OK, try a couple of different things. Use the rocker to set a non-zero volume, then slide down the notification bar and use the Sound toggle to set vibrate mode.

If you still have the issue, go into Settings / Sound / Volume, and set each of the sliders there down to zero individually. If you set them all to zero, and get the random vibration, try setting them down one at a time (or maybe all except one at a time), and see what happens.

While you're in the Sounds menu, see if you have a setting for "Auto haptic." If so, make sure it's set to off. Also, if Touch sounds is checked, you might want to try unchecking it. (I don't think either of these settings should cause what you're seeing, but it's such a weird bug who knows....)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis