Since latest update my GS3 randomly vibrates for no reason

fjitb

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Any ideas out there? There are no notifications happening, yet my phone for some reason just randomly vibrates once.

fjitb

May 26, 2010
Visit site
thx for the response :) I read all the comments and I don't have USB debugging enabled and I can't find the bugreports folder on my SD card file. What am i doing wrong? Thanks again for your help :)

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
It probably isn't what you did wrong, maybe it's a new application or process that runs randomly in the background or runs when a condition is met.

Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Check the settings for your messaging app and Facebook to see if you have them set to vibrate when you receive messages or FB notifications.

fjitb

May 26, 2010
Visit site
these are random times when it vibrates and there are no notifications whatsoever, it's bizarre...the posts above make sense but I can't find the folders, I'll live I'm sure but thanks :)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
these are random times when it vibrates and there are no notifications whatsoever, it's bizarre...the posts above make sense but I can't find the folders, I'll live I'm sure but thanks :)

Ok...since it is happening after an update, try powering down, rebooting into recovery and wiping the cache on the phone. This won't delete any data, all your stuff should be intact.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
How does one get into recovery and wipe the cache???

Power down...and to reboot into recovery you hold power, home and volume up at the same time (I would suggest holding the volume and home buttons first then push power) until you see the samsung screen then release. use volume buttons to navigate....go down to wipe cache partition, and hit power. Then highlight reboot system now and hit power.

fjitb

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Power down...and to reboot into recovery you hold power, home and volume up at the same time (I would suggest holding the volume and home buttons first then push power) until you see the samsung screen then release. use volume buttons to navigate....go down to wipe cache partition, and hit power. Then highlight reboot system now and hit power.

thanks so much, will give it a try after work :)

fjitb

May 26, 2010
Visit site
No sweat....let us know if it works.
Well my phone just vibrated again for no apparent reason :( however I've just noticed I have Haptic Feedback checked on my Sounds menu and it says, "Vibrate when soft keys are pressed and on certain UI interactions" So perhaps this is my issue, I'll uncheck it and see if this helps and post about it later.

TrueDrooid

May 22, 2010
Visit site
hey there, are you sure it's not vibrating to alert you of a missed call or other interaction such as a new text?
go to the settings dropdown, Motion>Smart alert and chances are, that box is checked.
to get rid of the vibration you may be getting,... just un-check the box (that's if that was the issue)

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I had a similar issue on my s3 when I had it. It would vibrate for no apparent reason.

Later on I found out it was the samsung account requesting attention because I was not signed into it or it needed an update. It leaves no notification and will pop up the message when you least expect it, then disappear just as fast.

Try checking that if you set one up. Just go into the settings menu and tap on the samsung account. It may say that a update is available. Download it and sign back in if it doesn't do it automatically. Then just wait to see if it happens again.

If this is not the cause, I am not sure unless there is a program popping a message at odd intervals that you never see.

It's not wrong to fondle the s pen.

fjitb

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I had a similar issue on my s3 when I had it. It would vibrate for no apparent reason.

Later on I found out it was the samsung account requesting attention because I was not signed into it or it needed an update. It leaves no notification and will pop up the message when you least expect it, then disappear just as fast.

Try checking that if you set one up. Just go into the settings menu and tap on the samsung account. It may say that a update is available. Download it and sign back in if it doesn't do it automatically. Then just wait to see if it happens again.

If this is not the cause, I am not sure unless there is a program popping a message at odd intervals that you never see.

I needed an update and lets hope this works! thanks for the info!

fjitb

May 26, 2010
Visit site
hey there, are you sure it's not vibrating to alert you of a missed call or other interaction such as a new text?
go to the settings dropdown, Motion>Smart alert and chances are, that box is checked.
to get rid of the vibration you may be getting,... just un-check the box (that's if that was the issue)
Yeah this is a random vibration that doesn't seem to relate to any type of notification. The phone just vibrates for some reason. I don't have Motion enabled, but thx for the info :)

fjitb

May 26, 2010
Visit site

you know I just discovered that my Samsung account wasn't backing up or syncing. It kept failing and had been for about 16 days, of course I just discovered it today. I deleted the account, added it again and signed in and it looks as though my vibration issue may be gone for good!!! Thanks to everyone again for your advice!