Benefits in recovery mode (unrooted)?

madsdad928

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Anything beneficial I can do with recovery mode without rooting? I'm considering rooting my phone but im wondering how much of a benefit i would get from the process. I'm not really a super user but I am getting bored with my phone after 6 months.

Sent from my SPH-L710

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Short and simple..

Stock recovery on your device is used for one or two reasons..

1. To apply official Samsung/carrier approved software update (OS/firmware,etc)
2. To do a factory reset.

Custom Recovery which is applied when rooting most phones has so many more advanced features from flashing custom OS software, radio updates, kernels, themes, full device backup/restore, various levels of device "wipes" Dalvik/system/cache/data and more...

However keep in mind many devices once you do root/apply a custom recovery use may loose OTA/official update availability. So that is something to keep in mind before considering moving forward in your research on the subject.

Good luck.

madsdad928

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Lots of reading to do before i make a decision. I don't want to be one of the people on here who "flashed a custom rom and now my phone wont turn on".

Sent from my SPH-L710

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. Lots of reading to do before i make a decision. I don't want to be one of the people on here who "flashed a custom rom and now my phone wont turn on".

Sent from my SPH-L710

Exactly.. I couldn't agree with you more.. If you have already recognized the fact that good research is necessary then your already worlds ahead of those who didn't read before moving onward.

Don't be afraid to ask a question, one of our AC Advisors or talented/experienced S3 community members will be happy to answer and point you in the correct direction.

Most important piece of advice is since your using the S3 make sure anything you research & perform is for your specific region/carrier of S3 so you don't end up using a custom ROM/kernel developed for the wrong S3 which is almost certainly a recipe for instant perma brick.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Sent from my SPH-L710

My question for you is: Why do you want to be rooted? Rooting does have benefits, but with the newer versions of Android, some of those benefits have been nullified. Like for instance, disabling apps. Now that can be done on stock Android through the Application Manager. Some you can only disable, not delete, but in the long run, it's better to disable/freeze before deleting anyway.

Rooting grants you use of some apps that require root access. Like Titanium Backup. It also makes putting a custom recovery on your phone a little easier. Custom recoveries ad depth to what you can do, like Paul said about wiping. Sometimes if a phone is running poorly, wiping the phone's cache and Dalvik cache often help long before a full wipe will. I am not totally sure, but I don't think full wipes/factory resets always get the Dalvik cache.

ROMs....bug thing here is make sure the ROM is for the Sprint Galaxy S3 (SPH-L710) Any other ROM put on your phone will most likely brick it. As for installing ROMs, most forums have instructions. If they do read them. When you are done reading, read them again. And once more time afterwards. Missed steps can lead to bad flashes, even possibly bricked phones.

Now, last piece of advice. GO to YouTube, and look up QBKing77. He does a lot of videos with the Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch, Galaxy S3, some on the Note 2, and some on the Galaxy Nexus. His videos are concise, full of information, links to files, related links to related videos, troubleshooting, you name it he probably made a video for it. I have found his help invaluable.

Sorry this was a little long winded. Hope it helps.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
My question for you is: Why do you want to be rooted? Rooting does have benefits, but with the newer versions of Android, some of those benefits have been nullified. Like for instance, disabling apps. Now that can be done on stock Android through the Application Manager. Some you can only disable, not delete, but in the long run, it's better to disable/freeze before deleting anyway.

Rooting grants you use of some apps that require root access. Like Titanium Backup. It also makes putting a custom recovery on your phone a little easier. Custom recoveries ad depth to what you can do, like Paul said about wiping. Sometimes if a phone is running poorly, wiping the phone's cache and Dalvik cache often help long before a full wipe will. I am not totally sure, but I don't think full wipes/factory resets always get the Dalvik cache.

ROMs....bug thing here is make sure the ROM is for the Sprint Galaxy S3 (SPH-L710) Any other ROM put on your phone will most likely brick it. As for installing ROMs, most forums have instructions. If they do read them. When you are done reading, read them again. And once more time afterwards. Missed steps can lead to bad flashes, even possibly bricked phones.

Now, last piece of advice. GO to YouTube, and look up QBKing77. He does a lot of videos with the Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch, Galaxy S3, some on the Note 2, and some on the Galaxy Nexus. His videos are concise, full of information, links to files, related links to related videos, troubleshooting, you name it he probably made a video for it. I have found his help invaluable.

Sorry this was a little long winded. Hope it helps.
+1... All good information here..

I would like to add the main reason I have always continued to root my devices is that option of having the latest and greatest stuff available. We all know any carrier/OEM likes to take its time at pushing out the latest and greatest OS. First the Nexus devices get it for a few months then eventually it starts to trickle down to the branded devices. With rooting, once the developers get their hands on official source code from Google they start immediately working on porting it to work on the branded devices. It takes time, they have to manipulate and in some cases re write lib files, and other important pieces of code to make things work properly but they eventually get it done and allow you to run say Android 4.2.2 on your S3 months before it will even be considered ready for public release by Samsung/carrier.

To me, that alone has been my drive behind rooting. I get that option to either run the latest and greatest provided in many flavors CM, AOKP, etc. or run a cool customized/themed version of the current official OS. Plus the fact that the devs always clean up whatever bugs the carrier leaves behind ;)

Keith Patrick

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Anything beneficial I can do with recovery mode without rooting? I'm considering rooting my phone but im wondering how much of a benefit i would get from the process. I'm not really a super user but I am getting bored with my phone after 6 months.

Sent from my SPH-L710

The stock recovery is quite limited as far as functionality goes, and it was explained quite well in this thread. I personally prefer TWRP over CWM, but that's just my opinion. You are on the right track. Read, read, read! If you are bored with your device, rooting will change all of that. I was just like you not too long ago. I was very timid to root because I kept reading all the horror stories. After reading enough of them, it was easy to see they all had resounding similarities. They all flashed something not meant for their device. Having a Sprint GSIII does not mean you can flash things for the Verizon GSIII, T-Mobile GSIII, Etc. After you root you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner. Good luck to you and take care.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

madsdad928

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Anyone used a "one click root"? They seem ****ty, dont give you control over the process. Skunkape i read your. Guide i like that method much better, lots of details and it's broken down nicely. I got to the point of installing Odin and my kids went psycho so I stopped the process until later tonight
Sent from my SPH-L710

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellie10